Japanese PM Warns China Against Landings

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
By Agence France-Presse on Friday, April 26th, 2013

Japan would respond with force if China attempts to land on the disputed Senkaku Islands, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said in Parliament.

Abe was responding to a question about what he was prepared to do if Chinese ships sailing close to the islands — called the Diaoyu Islands by the Chinese — tried to land, a BBC report said.

"We have made sure that if there is an instance where there is an intrusion into our territory or it seems that there could be landing on the islands then we will deal will it strongly," Abe said.

China claims the Senkaku Islands, which lie about 100 miles north of Japan's Ishigaki Island and about 115 miles northeast of Taiwan, as its territory under treaties signed in the late 1800s.

At the end of World War II the islands were under U.S. jurisdiction as part of the captured Japanese island of Okinawa. Japan has administered them since 1972 when Okinawa was returned to Japan.

Tensions flared between Beijing and Tokyo in September after the Japanese government bought three of the islands from a private Japanese owner, triggering protests in Chinese cities.

Since then China has stepped up patrols around the islands for which Japan has lodged formal diplomatic complaints.

Abe's warning — the most explicit to China since he took power in December — came as eight Chinese ships sailed around the islands, the
BBC said. A flotilla of 10 fishing boats carrying Japanese activists was also reported to be in the area, as well as the Japanese coast guard.

A report by Japan's Kyodo news agency said China's State Oceanic Administration saying its eight vessels were in the area but within what it claims is its territorial waters.

The vessels are monitoring the activity of a flotilla of boats reportedly carrying members of a Japanese nationalist group, the Kyodo report said.
Japanese coast guard officials have said it was the largest number of Chinese government ships to enter the disputed area since September when
Tokyo purchased the islands.

In January China said it would carry out an oceanic survey of the islands as part of a larger island and reef mapping project started in 2009, Chinese state-run Xinhua news agency said.

"Diaoyu Island and its affiliated islets have been the inherent territory of China since ancient times," a Chinese government said at the time.
China's National Administration of Surveying, Mapping and Geoinformation has completed mapping of islands within 60 miles of China's coastline and will start on territories further afield which include the Senkaku, also claimed by Taiwan.

Read more: Japanese PM warns China against landings | Navy & Maritime Security News at DefenceTalk

This is how to deal with bully China...

opesys

By Agence France-Presse on Friday, April 26th, 2013

This is how to deal with bully China...
Really ? What happened to your awe for Gandhian principles ? I remember you praising Gandhi in one of the thread here at DFI.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Really ? What happened to your awe for Gandhian principles ? I remember you praising Gandhi in one of the thread here at DFI.

My praise is his brilliant use of passive resistance philosophy in dealing with imperialism when India was not in a position to militarily, politically and economically battle it out with England. I am contrasting it with the use of jihad and violence by Muslims in their call to bring to lite the plight of Muslims. The former approach will give you international support and is more effective while the latter will give you international consternation and will not help your cause. The context of my praise is on the employment of passive resistance strategy for political ends.

The Japanese issue is legal not political and cannot be defended by passive resistance. The use of military force to "prevent" China from usurping the disputed islands is justified more so that Japan has the means to do so.

I am a pragmatic person. Different circumstances should have different approaches and solutions.

opesys

I am a pragmatic person. Different circumstances should have different approaches and solutions.
Fair enough....

But I don't think you have understood well Gandhi's teachings. I don't think Gandhi came up with his teachings just because there was no other way to remove British rule in India (even though it is kinda true India was not in a position to militarily battle British)... Thing is non violence is what Gandhi believed in! Even if there was a military option Gandhi would have still chosen his own path which was non violence!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The article that I posted on the incursion thread was an eye opener for me as to just how much territory India has lost to China with their such so called routine incursions in the last 25 years.

Where is Sundarji? Where is Thimmayya? Where is Sam? I guess they'd be saying we left the world in good time to not be left sucking up to a fvcked up govt

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Note how the Chinese tomtomed about their aricraft carrier and how it will rule the sea upto Guam!

I am sure they will attack Japan, that is ofcourse, if they put their money where their mouth is!

But they love money more than their mouth and so they will not allow it to be swallowed out of sheer jingoism and lose both in the bargain!

Losing face is OK with the Chinese, but not Money!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The article that I posted on the incursion thread was an eye opener for me as to just how much territory India has lost to China with their such so called routine incursions in the last 25 years.

Where is Sundarji? Where is Thimmayya? Where is Sam? I guess they'd be saying we left the world in good time to not be left sucking up to a fvcked up govt
They could still do nothing without a nod from the political masters.

The actual question is - where is Indira Gandhi?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
They could still do nothing without a nod from the political masters.

The actual question is - where is Indira Gandhi?
Sir, Sundarji was able to stand up and drill sense into Rajiv Gandhi who before that was pussy footing as usual.

Sam Bahadur did some plain talking with IG to make her understand how the operation in BD will go. He managed to get a free hand from her.

Thimmayya did the same with Nehru and that idiot Menon but Menon got his way with Nehru and the result was the bloody nose of 1962. When we have had strong Army Chiefs who stood up in front of the political masters, the nations interests were served. When not, we got screwed.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
A pattern is clear now when it comes to China. China will first probe around to test if you react. Then if you don't forcefully react they will put up temporary positions in the territories they want. Then if you do not do anything to evict them (just throw out verbal objections instead) then they will fortify their temporary positions. This is clear to Japanese leaders and they will not tolerate this Chinese antique.

CCTV

This JP PM said this words yestaday morning , but at the afternoon he claim he don't know a face off in DiaoYu island which happened that day morning.

Btw, it was a very good show. You can watch the video that how China force JP fish boats out of the island, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles