Japanese may sell sea rescue aircraft US-2 to India

pmaitra

Re: Japan Offers To Sell India 2 Shinmaywa US-2 Amphibians

1. Why is it that the all and sundry are offering us their military wares?
  2. Why is there even a discussion about amphibious aircraft?
  3. Why is there a sudden 'need' for such an aircraft?
  4. Why did they not foresee this requirement 15 years ago?
  5. Is India the global cash cow?

India should say no to this deal. We have done without it for so long. We can do without it in the future. They can use the Chinooks for search and rescue in he seas. If they really need one, they should issue their requirement that is comparable with contemporary production aircraft, and give it to HAL or ADA, and keep shut for the next 10 years.

Also, anyone suggesting a requirement like the Arjun tank (4 man crew, 50 ton weight), should get a tight kick in his posterior. People issuing GSQRs tend to be thick-heads anyway. We should say no to requirements that are comparable to asking for a cell phone small enough to be hidden in the palm, but big enough to have a 21" LCD screen.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

1. Why is it that the all and sundry are offering us their military wares?
  2. Why is there even a discussion about amphibious aircraft?
  3. Why is there a sudden 'need' for such an aircraft?
  4. Why did they not foresee this requirement 15 years ago?
  5. Is India the global cash cow?

India should say no to this deal. We have done without it for so long. We can do without it in the future. They can use the Chinooks for search and rescue in he seas. If they really need one, they should issue their requirement that is comparable with contemporary production aircraft, and give it to HAL or ADA, and keep shut for the next 10 years.

Also, anyone suggesting a requirement like the Arjun tank (4 man crew, 50 ton weight), should get a tight kick in his posterior. People issuing GSQRs tend to be thick-heads anyway. We should say no to requirements that are comparable to asking for a cell phone small enough to be hidden in the palm, but big enough to have a 21" LCD screen.
India WAS a cash cow.

Now it is about to soon scrape the bottom of the barrel!

Regarding the requirement of equipment, it evolves out of any Govt having a policy that looks into the future strategic alignments and its effect on the Nation.

It is no secret that India has none.

That is why you have cretinous statement made that duns Chinese intrusions as 'mere acnes'.

India responds to the evolving Threats and then scurries around for weapons and weapon platforms
That is why one finds that we are something like a video game.

Notwithstanding, it is not numbskulls who prepare the GSQR, but numbshkulls called bureaucrat and Ministers, who sabotage any improvement in organisation or capability of the defence forces.

A case in point is how we have woken up that our submarine fleet has depleted and we have lost our edge.

Or, that we are woefully short and have depleted our artillery resources.

or, we have only 4 days ammunition left!

Do we require an amphibious aircraft?

India has a coastline of 7,517 km (4,671 mi).

The specification of the US 2 is:

Crew: 11
Capacity: 20 passengers or 12 stretchers
Loaded weight: 43,000 kg (94,797 lb) (water take-off)
Max. takeoff weight: 47,700 kg (105,160 lb) (land take-off)
Maximum speed: 560 km/h (302 knots, 348 mph)
Cruise speed: 480 km/h (259 knots, 298 mph)
Range: 4,700 km (2,538 nmi, 2,919 mi)
Service ceiling: 7,195 m (23,606 ft)
Takeoff distance on ground at MTOW: 490 m (1,608 ft)
Landing distance on ground at MTOW: 1,500 m (4,921 ft)
Takeoff distance on water at Loaded weigh: 280m (919 ft)
Landing distance on water at Loaded weigh: 330m (1,083 ft)

Now visualise the use of this plane in Andaman and Nicobar, as also in the Laccadives.

The military presence in Andamans started off with a police outpost and it has grown to a Tri service Command! That means the Threat and the responsibilities have increased and so, the requirement for organisation and the weapon platforms have also increased to make it compatible. Interestingly, one cannot have airfield anywhere and everywhere in the Andamans. Therefore, there is a requirement for ships and some aircraft that can be deployed for quick response and an amphibian can land on land and also in the sea!

The requirement for an amphibian was felt many years back too.

But the snail hopefully has awoken!

As far as your anger on those who make GSQR is concerned, it is justified. But it must be remembered it gets tweaked every now and then because 'we must give our DRDO a chance' is what is the mantra of the Govt.

It was once claimed that the tank would replicate the concept of the S Tank!

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

@pmaitra

If IAF has to give GSQR for an Amphibian Aircraft, they would ask ADA/HAL to build the Ekranoplan in 3 yrs, and when they fail, would cite the failure as a reason to reduce the parameters to buy this U2 anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

ladder

Country flag

Navy likely to buy Japanese amphibious aircraft US-2

Japanese firm ShinMaywa Industries is eyeing the Indian Navy for the sale of its amphibious search and rescue aircraft, US-2.

At the NAMEXPO-2013 here, Kanji Ishimaru, who heads ShinMaywa's aircraft division, told 'Express' that they were awaiting the RFP (Request For Proposal) from the Indian Navy.

Ishimaru said they have been working out various options, including possible joint ventures, subcontracting and formulating consortium, to deal with the mandatory 30 per cent offset.

"Matters related to pricing, repair, maintenance and overhaul can be worked out only after the RFP is issued. Being an amphibious aircraft which can be used for search and rescue, disaster management and relief operations, the ShinMaywa US-2 will be a force multiplier for the Indian Navy," he said. The aircraft, with its amphibious nature, can give access to isolated islands without a runway, pointed out Yasuo Kawanishi, general manager, business development, aircraft division, ShinMaywa.

Access to much further places than helicopters, high speed and ultra-low speed flight by the boundary layer control system are some key features. Realising its potential during his recent visit to Japan, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had made a decision along with his Japanese counterpart "on setting up a joint working group to explore modality for cooperation on the US-2 amphibian aircraft".

It was in 2011 that the RFI (Request For Information) was sought, said Ishimaru. "There are a lot of things to be worked out. Once the RFP is issued, we will get only three months to sort out matters, including the final pricing, how many aircraft would be required and so on.

Currently, ShinMaywa delivers US-2 to the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) at $100 million. However pricing for the Indian version could be finalised based on the final requirements only," Ishimaru said.

Dealing with the 30 per cent mandatory offset would be another major issue to be worked out.

Though RFI has been issued for nine US-2 aircraft, the numbers would be finalised at the time of RFP only. Apart from the Indian Navy, the Air Force and Coast Guard have also expressed interest in US-2, he added.
Navy likely to buy Japanese amphibious aircraft US-2 - The New Indian Express

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Re: In a first, Japan offers to sell aircraft to India

India to acquire 15 US-2i aircraft from Japan after defence minister's visit

India's plan to acquire at least 15 US-2i amphibious aircraft for its Navy from Japan is expected to fructify when the defence minister of Japan arrives in India next month.

Speaking to FE, a senior officer said, "Soon after the Emperor of Japan's visit is over, Itsunori Onodera, the defence minister of Japan, will visit India to explore the potential for cooperation between the defence and aviation industries between the two countries, as well as to figure out the mechanism and modalities for the acquisition of the aircraft by the Indian Navy." Also, Onodera will also be seeking confirmation from India on cooperation in dealing with the issue of piracy in the Indian Ocean.

India has reportedly clarified that it is reviewing the Special Chemicals, Organisms, Materials, Equipment and Technologies (SCOMET), thereby placing the Shinmaywa US-2i as a dual civilian-and-military item. India has accepted the high cost of the aircraft to build up the strategic partnership.

The two sides had set up a joint working group to decide the terms of the cooperation of the US-2i amphibious aircraft when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had visited Tokyo in May this year, and could possibly include joint production, operation and training on the US-2i amphibious aircraft. The Indian Navy earlier issued a request for information (RFI) for the aircraft. Canada's Bombardier, Japan's ShinMaywa and Russia's Beriev had offered their aircraft to meet the requirements.
India to acquire 15 US-2i aircraft from Japan after defence minister's visit | idrw.org

WMD

India to acquire 15 US-2i aircraft from Japan

India's plan to acquire at least 15 US-2i amphibious aircraft for its Navy from Japan is expected to fructify when the defence minister of Japan arrives in India next month.

Speaking to FE, a senior officer said, "Soon after the Emperor of Japan's visit is over, Itsunori Onodera, the defence minister of Japan, will visit India to explore the potential for cooperation between the defence and aviation industries between the two countries, as well as to figure out the mechanism and modalities for the acquisition of the aircraft by the Indian Navy." Also, Onodera will also be seeking confirmation from India on cooperation in dealing with the issue of piracy in the Indian Ocean.

India has reportedly clarified that it is reviewing the Special Chemicals, Organisms, Materials, Equipment and Technologies (SCOMET), thereby placing the Shinmaywa US-2i as a dual civilian-and-military item. India has accepted the high cost of the aircraft to build up the strategic partnership.

The two sides had set up a joint working group to decide the terms of the cooperation of the US-2i amphibious aircraft when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had visited Tokyo in May this year, and could possibly include joint production, operation and training on the US-2i amphibious aircraft. The Indian Navy earlier issued a request for information (RFI) for the aircraft. Canada's Bombardier, Japan's ShinMaywa and Russia's Beriev had offered their aircraft to meet the requirements.

India to acquire 15 US-2i aircraft from Japan after defence ministerÂ’s visit - Financial Express

Patriot

Country flag
Re: India to acquire 15 US-2i aircraft from Japan

Good Move. We need them badly. IN shall be in a better position to manage supplies to Lakshdeep & Andaman & Nikobar islands. It Japs allowed , we can make them as multirole for surveillance ops as well.

ladder

Country flag
Re: India to acquire 15 US-2i aircraft from Japan

This is important.
Can any member clarify?

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

India to acquire 15 US-2i aircraft from Japan after defence ministerÂ’s visit - Financial Express

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Good start but we need joint ventures as with Russia.

bhramos

Country flag

Good start but we need joint ventures as with Russia.
yeh true Be-200 is best, would be more useful natural calamities as well...

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

@Ray @Decklander @Kunal Biswas @sayareakd

Is US-2 the best in its category, or most suited to our requirements ? None of the alternatives ( if any ? ) are worth consideration ?

IN pilots are going to operate it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

yeah it is good specially for A&N....................
Something interesting on Shinmaywa's portal:

Dimensions & Performances US-2 (ShinMaywa) CL-415(Bombardier) Be-200 (Beriev)
Power Plant Four-turboprop Twin-turboprop Twin-turbofan
Length 33.3m 19.8m 31.4m
Wing Span 33.2m 28.6m 32.8m
Max Take-Off Weight 47.7t 19.9t 41.0t
Range over 4,500km 2,426km 3,300km
Cruise Altitude over 6,000m 3,048m 7,986m
Cruise Speed 480km/h 278km/h 560km/h
Take-Off Distance
(on water) 280m 808m 1,000m
Landing Distance
(on water) 330m 665m 1,300m
Wave Height up to 3m up to 1.8m up to 1.2m

So, spec's wise, US2 is indeed the best among the lot.

If there is a real need for this type of amphibian seaplanes, and if the existing assets with IN/coastguards cannot perform these roles with the desired efficacy, & this capability is a useful value-addition, there is no harm in going for US2 at the right price (preferably with manufacturing/assembly line-up being transferred to India in mutual interest of two nations).

Last edited:

ninja85

this looks much better,

it have jet engines , and room for hard points for fuel tanks,missiles

unlike u2,there is no room for extra hard points because of its engines.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles