Jamiat-e-Ahli leader Moulvi Showkat Shah killed in blast in Srinagar

Someoneforyou

Jamiat-e-Ahli leader Moulvi Showkat Shah killed in blast in Srinagar
India - 8 april 2011

SRINAGAR: Prominent religious figure and Jamiat-e-Ahli Hadees chief Moulvi Showkat Ahmad Shah was killed in an improvised explosive device (IED) blast outside a mosque in Maisuma area of the city on Friday, police officials said.

Shah, who was critically injured in the explosion which took place around 12.30pm, was rushed to a city hospital where he succumbed to injuries, according to the police.

Another youth, identified as Munir Ahmad Mir, was also critically injured in the blast.

Although the exact cause of the explosion is being investigated, police suspect that militants have used an IED planted on a bicycle near the rear entrance of the mosque where Shah used to lead the Friday prayers.

Several attempts were made on the life of Shah in the past.

Shah was also actively involved in separatist politics and was very close to JKLF chief Mohammad Yasin Malik.

Source: Press Trust Of India

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Why am I getting the feeling that I should be happy on this ?

JBH22

Inter kashmiri rivalry or Indian intelligence killed him?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Turns out it wasn't a very good news after all. I don't know well about the loyalties of this man but here's what I extracted from an NY Times article.

Maulana Showkat Ahmad Shah was a vocal critic of violent protests who argued that the common practice of throwing stones at the military was un-Islamic.
Mr. Shah's condemnation of stonethrowing, a common practice among protesters, was criticized by separatist groups.

Regards,
Virendra

sandeepdg

This is the systematic execution of moderate voices by forces across the border just to keep the tension in Kashmir alive and kicking.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles