Jallikattu Ban: Elites vs Local Tradition

Gessler

Country flag
This is one of the greatest traditional Indian sports I know of. This and Onam Boat-racing.

It's good they didn't let the idea of banning it prevail...one such incident would have triggered other lawsuits to try & curb centuries-old cultures.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad - as I had written, high chance that quite a few (esp. animal-lovers) are clueless about thie Jallikattu ban and are naively supporting it. am presently engaged in revealing to such a friend all this on the SM.
Especially the meat eaters!! Hypocrites.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

TheRenegades

As a Tamil native speaker and an animal lover, SC's ruling makes me sad.

Recalling history, first they gave away Kachatheevu & lucrative fishing grounds and now Jallikattu - a traditional bull sport played over many centuries through different monarchies, a sport which has a lot of cultural significance and is a part and parcel of the identity of the native tamil folks.

It should be possible to conduct this activity in a more humane way. They could have asked the TN government to setup an independent self governing panel to conduct this sport with minimal injury to the bull and the sportsmen.

There are lot more brutal abuse going on in slaughter houses, pet owner abusing their animals, dairy farms, chicken coops etc. PETA and AWBI should have focussed their ethical treatment of animals there instead of concentrating on this.

Remember even in the west rodeos, bull taming, horse racing, dog racing etc are run and are quite popular.

alphacentury

Country flag
I dont understand any of this. Let's say, jallikattu does not have any positive outcomes and is done only for the pleasure of the game. On what basis can SC interfere? Animal abuse or anything like that?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I dont understand any of this. Let's say, jallikattu does not have any positive outcomes and is done only for the pleasure of the game. On what basis can SC interfere? Animal abuse or anything like that?
Don't you understand?

It's the Western bug. We want to copy everything western. Even the so called hardcore nationalist do it. The reason is that western propaganda is so effective that it has seeped into our sub-conscious.

"Hey the west is doing, so lets also do it. Yey, look we have satisfied the western ideals. "
Lets forget our millenia of civilization and ape the monkeys who made it big in the last three centuries.

Western aping syndrome will rot the country from within; without a doubt a greater threat than pakstan or chinistan or both together.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
As a Tamil native speaker and an animal lover, SC's ruling makes me sad.

Recalling history, first they gave away Kachatheevu & lucrative fishing grounds and now Jallikattu - a traditional bull sport played over many centuries through different monarchies, a sport which has a lot of cultural significance and is a part and parcel of the identity of the native tamil folks.

It should be possible to conduct this activity in a more humane way. They could have asked the TN government to setup an independent self governing panel to conduct this sport with minimal injury to the bull and the sportsmen.

There are lot more brutal abuse going on in slaughter houses, pet owner abusing their animals, dairy farms, chicken coops etc. PETA and AWBI should have focussed their ethical treatment of animals there instead of concentrating on this.

Remember even in the west rodeos, bull taming, horse racing, dog racing etc are run and are quite popular.
Do you really think this is about animals and humane treatment; are you that blind?

This is about destroying traditions and heritage, heritage that has been transmitted from ancestors several thousand years in the past.

Can you really not see this?

Last edited:

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
Look at how fast supreme court acting on these cases.

I started observing it since teesta setalvad case.
They some how able to fast track these cases when it happens.

I think most of our institutions have been compromised for a long time. No wonder we are fighting among ourselves.

I think we need to wake up very fast.

indiatester

Country flag
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...e-stay-on-jallikattu-order/article8102180.ece
Supreme Court refuses to vacate stay on jallikattu order

The court heard an intervention application filed by four persons said to be affected by the apex court’s stay on Centre’s notification allowing jallikattu.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to vacate its order staying the Centre’s notification lifting ban on jallikattu.

The court heard an intervention application filed by four persons said to be affected by the apex court’s stay on Centre’s notification allowing jallikattu.

A Bench of Justices Dipak Misra and N.V. Ramana said they were "unimpressed" by the submissions made by the affected individuals that prohibition of jallikattu will dash to the ground pride of Tamil farmers and leave him penniless with no other alternative but send his bulls to Kerala to be slaughtered.

The petitioners, represented by advocate N. Rajaraman, made an urgent mention before a Bench of Justice Dipak Misra and N.V. Ramana at 2 p.m.

The argument saw Justice Misra counter why the farmer, who considered the bull as a family member, would deem to sell it to be slaughtered if the animal became "jobless".

"Pongal festival will happen without Jallikattu... Why do you send the bulls to Kerala for slaughter?" Justice Misra asked.

Advocate R. Rajaraman, for the intervenors, said farmers have to let their bulls be slaughtered out of necessity if there is no jallikattu. He even invited senior advocates Aryama Sundaram and Anand Grover to come to Tamil Nadu as the court's commissioners to check if there is any cruelty shown to bulls during jallikattu.

"The idea is to prevent cruelty... that is the purpose of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1960," Mr. Sundaram countered.

My 2 cents: Courts should not dictate how people celebrate their festivals or celebrate any thing unless it is detrimental to society. This view of Jallikattu as cruel vs allowing slaughter is very silly

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
Where the hell is this SC, when it comes to beef ban?

It is our holy cow. We worship it for more than few thousand years. Doesn't it hurt majority people's sentiment, if they keep slaughtering cows?
Where are you SC in beef case?
Biggest hypocrites of the society.

look at these shameless bints.

dhananjay1

Talk of freedom of speech and expression is crap when a group of unelected ideologues can ban a centuries old tradition of a community on their own personal prejudice. If BJP government has any balls they should make an example of SC in-justices. Katju has already shown what kind of retards could occupy SC.

alphacentury

Country flag
Don't you understand?

It's the Western bug. We want to copy everything western. Even the so called hardcore nationalist do it. The reason is that western propaganda is so effective that it has seeped into our sub-conscious.

"Hey the west is doing, so lets also do it. Yey, look we have satisfied the western ideals. "
Lets forget our millenia of civilization and ape the monkeys who made it big in the last three centuries.

Western aping syndrome will rot the country from within; without a doubt a greater threat than pakstan or chinistan or both together.
I get what you are saying and agree. But my question is this. Citing what did the SC ban jallikattu? I dont have any knowledge how court hearings happen, but i am sure it must not be on the basis of morality, feelings and other bla blas like internet arguements tend to happen.

Ok, I got the answer from the above post. i.e "cruelty to animals" . This is just horse shit. If the bull could talk and were asked if it would like to be served as meal or would like to participate in jallikattu, it would choose the latter happily.

Last edited:

TheRenegades

Talk of freedom of speech and expression is crap when a group of unelected ideologues can ban a centuries old tradition of a community on their own personal prejudice. If BJP government has any balls they should make an example of SC in-justices. Katju has already shown what kind of retards could occupy SC.
Your statement is neither practical nor useful.

Government interfering with Supreme Courts work sets a dangerous precedent.

Supreme Court has the jurisdiction as vested by our constitution and works with the laws of the land. The correct way is to pass a new law or through appeals.

dhananjay1

Your statement is neither practical nor useful.

Government interfering with Supreme Courts work sets a dangerous precedent.

Supreme Court has the jurisdiction as vested by our constitution and works with the laws of the land. The correct way is to pass a new law or through appeals.
What a load of crap. :laugh: What you are saying is SC is an imperial institution that can do whatever it likes, override decisions of an elected government just because it's against their personal opinion. All governments constantly 'interfere' in the work of SC, HC, other courts and have been doing it since forever.

TheRenegades

What a load of crap. :laugh: What you are saying is SC is an imperial institution that can do whatever it likes, override decisions of an elected government just because it's against their personal opinion. All governments constantly 'interfere' in the work of SC, HC, other courts and have been doing it since forever.
Take a take a few minutes to read & comprehend the content of this website - http://www.importantindia.com/12246/jurisdiction-of-supreme-court-of-india/

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

Global Defence

New threads

Articles