Jakarta hotel blasts: Marriott, Ritz-Carlton targeted

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by bhramos, Jul 17, 2009.

1. bhramos

bhramos Elite Member Elite Member

(Breaking News) Jakarta hotel blasts: Marriott, Ritz-Carlton targeted

BOMB have exploded at the Ritz-Carlton and Marriott hotels in Jakarta, reportedly killing four people.
    A witness has told the Associated Press that he saw four bodies inside the Marriott, which was also the scene of a bombing in 2003 which killed 16 people.
    Witnesses also said the Marriott blast was the first, sending debris flying to the surrounding streets. Minutes later, the Ritz-Carlton was targeted.
    The AP reports the facade of the Ritz-Carlton was blown off and three injured people have been taken away.
    "Some windows of the Ritz-Carlton building have been shattered, mostly on the lower section," Myra Junor, who works at a nearby building said.
    "I'm looking at it from my office."

more

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...69-401,00.html

3. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

They are suspecting Jamaat-e-Islami (??), the same group behind earlier incidents like the Bali Bombings.

4. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Yes ..

Al Jazeera English reported that it was in touch with a JI member who denied any involvement in Friday's hotel bombings.

Police say Jakarta hotel bombers were guests - CNN.com

5. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Malaysian extremist behind Indonesia attacks: Official
    Updated on Saturday, July 18, 2009, 19:08 IST

Jakarta: A Malaysian extremist wanted for a string of terror attacks was named on Saturday as the man most likely behind twin suicide bombings at luxury hotels in Indonesia which killed at least nine people.

Police were studying explosives found in the suspects' "control centre" in room 1808 of the Jakarta Marriott hotel, which was bombed along with its nearby sister hotel the Ritz-Carlton on Friday as guests were having breakfast.

DNA evidence, including a severed head from the remains of two suicide bombers, was also being examined as security was tightened across Indonesia and the Philippines amid warnings of follow-up attacks.

Four foreigners -- a New Zealand businessman, two Australians and a Singaporean -- were confirmed dead and at least 18 were among the scores of people who were injured at the hotels in a central Jakarta business district.

Australian diplomat Craig Senger is also believed to have been killed, but this has not been confirmed.

The injured included citizens of Australia, Britain, Canada, China, India, Italy, Norway, South Korea, the Netherlands and the United States.

National police chief General Bambang Hendarso Danuri called on hotels and shopping malls across the vast, mainly Muslim archipelago of 234 million people to raise their security protocols in response to the bombings.

A military spokesman said 500 troops were on standby to deploy in Jakarta in support of police.

Malaysian extremist behind Indonesia attacks

6. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Malaysia fugitive terrorist linked to Jakarta's suicide bombing
    2009-07-18 09:06:20 GMT2009-07-18 17:06:20 (Beijing Time) xinhuanet

JAKARTA, July 18 (Xinhua) -- An Indonesian senior anti-terror official Saturday connected the fugitive Malaysian-born extremist Noordin M Top to Friday's suicide bombings at the JW Marriott hotel and the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Jakarta, according to the national Antara news agency.

"From the modus operandi used in Friday's bombings, it is clear they are linked to Noordin M Top," said Ansyaad Mbai, head of the anti-terror desk at Indonesia's Coordinating Ministry for Political, Legal and Security Affairs.

He said that the crimes were carried out in a more sophisticated way, which was infiltrating into the target area.

"The perpetrators dodged a tight security system and came very close to their target," he said, adding that it was more sophisticated to infiltrate into the target area than conducting the bombings outside as the one in JW Marriott in 2003.

In that case, Mbai said that Noordin M Top and his network cells were still strong, and it should be the priority to arrest Noordin M Top.

"As long as the actor is still at large, all anticipative measures will be useless," he said.

The Marriot bombing in 2003 killed 12 people and injure 147 others. It was believed to have been masterminded by Azhari Husin and Noordin M Top, both Malaysian nationals. Azhari was killed in a police raid in East Java in November 2005 but Noording M Top is still at large.

Malaysia fugitive terrorist linked to Jakarta's suicide bombing - World News - SINA English