Jackie Chan hangs his Kung Fu boots.

H.A.

Jackie Chan has announced his retirement as a star of action films, saying he is too old for stunts and the world is "too violent".

The 58-year-old actor and kung fu expert said he felt "really, really tired" after decades of pushing his body to the limit.

Speaking in Cannes, Chan said that his latest Hollywood outing, Chinese Zodiac, would be the last time audiences see him performing his trademark stunts, which he does without the help of a body double.

"This is my last action film," he said. "I tell you, I'm not young any more. I'm really, really tired. And the world is too violent right now. It's a dilemma - I like fighting but I don't like violence."

Chan, who was born in Hong Kong, said he hoped to concentrate on more serious roles. "I want to be an Asian Robert De Niro. I don't just want to be an action star, I want to be a true actor. I want to get rid of my image," he said. "I want the audience to know I'm not only a comedian. I can act. Day by day, year by year, I'm going to show you the real Jackie Chan."

Chinese Zodiac is Chan's 100th film. Brett Ratner, the producer, said: "Jackie is superhuman. He does things that no actor would ever do.

"No other actor, I don't care who they are, can do what Jackie Chan can do."

Jackie Chan hangs up kung fu boots - Entertainment - DNA

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
There is only one Jackie Chan. He is a legend and nobody can replace him in Chinese movies. But I agree with him, he is kinda old now. It is the right time to retire.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Some of JC's awesome stunts

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bruce Lee was, to my mind, better.

But then it is everyone's own choice.

I had a Chinese boy in school, 'Porky' Chan.

He too knew Karate and on Prize Day once he gave a demonstration of karate to us.

He was also as fascinating as in the movies.

He was the Counsel General's son.

A good chap, old Porky!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I also liked the film Kung Fu Panda!

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I also liked the film Kung Fu Panda!
Laugh riot. Spilled my stomachs out. But still JC only gave voice for Master Monkey in the movie.

niharjhatn

Laugh riot. Spilled my stomachs out. But still JC only gave voice for Master Monkey in the movie.
My fav movies of Jackie Chan are the Police story movies - this along with Hard Boiled are probably my favourite Hong Kong action flicks - among my favourite of all time.

I read he was almost uninsurable given he performs the stunts himself.

All round awesome guy.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Last edited by a moderator:

fzaq

i wann see him driving mitsubishis again. at least he can do chase scenes with he's age couldnt he?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
My fav movies of Jackie Chan are the Police story movies - this along with Hard Boiled are probably my favourite Hong Kong action flicks - among my favourite of all time.

I read he was almost uninsurable given he performs the stunts himself.

All round awesome guy.
Police Story Series was just awesome, loved it. Hard Boiled, meh. Of JC's recent movies, I liked "Little Big Soldier".
Hey, you should also try the "Infernal Affairs" series, it's awesome and you'll love it.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Btw the media misquoted JC.

In reaction to widespread press reports concerning statements he made at the Cannes Film Festival, Jackie has sent the following message to his fans:

Hello All My friends and fans,

Yesterday in my press conference in Cannes for Chinese 12 Zodiac I said that this movie was my last big action movie.

Today I was shocked when I woke up to read all the news coverage that I was retiring from doing Action movies.

I just want to let everyone know that I am not retiring from doing action movies. What I meant to say is that I need to do less of the life risking stunts on my movies. After all these years of doing so many stunts and breaking so many bones, I need to take better care of my body so I can keep working.

I will continue to do international action movies.

And I will keep improving my English :)

I love all of you!

Jackie
Source: JC's Official Website.

Jackie Chan: "I Am Not Retiring From Action Movies!" - The Official Website of Jackie Chan

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles