J20 Stealth Fighter

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
J-20 internal weapons bay looks crude..

Only four missiles in the weapons bay,..how can american f-22 can fit six in it's belly?

J20!

Country flag
J-20 internal weapons bay looks crude..

Only four missiles in the weapons bay,..how can american f-22 can fit six in it's belly?
F22's are armed with AIM120's which also also feature folding control surfaces making them significantly smaller than the PL12 you see in that pic.

Crude? Pray tell, what does a non-crude weapons bay look like? And does it really matter what it "looks" like?

Bahamut

@J 20
Can you provide info on IRST and infrared reduction technique used in J 20?
Does China plans to field newer weapons for J 20 that can fit in the weapons bay with folding control surface?

J20!

Country flag
Pics of a new serial production J20 still in its primer coat.

If you look closely, you can make out 3 J20's in this shot.

J20!

Country flag
@J 20
Can you provide info on IRST and infrared reduction technique used in J 20?
Does China plans to field newer weapons for J 20 that can fit in the weapons bay with folding control surface?
I'd be lying if I said I knew my guy; since its first flight and till now, there's never been an official news release on any of the J20's specs. Its still a clasified program apparently, but hopefuly it'll make an appearance at this year's Zhuhai Airshow, and we can get at least some official figures from the Chengdu J20 display.

As to its IRST, an "EOTS"-like sensor was installed just in front of its fore-landing gear, starting with prototype 2011 up to the current production units. So we can only asume that Chengdu have selected this type of sensor as opposed to the traditional IRST seen on most 4th gen fighters and the PAK FA prototypes thus far. As to it specs, again, I simply do not know.

shiphone

Country flag
the weather was quite good recently ...so the test flight of J20 first serial Production batch is quite busy...

loads of great shot by military fans...credit to them...lol

2 paint ready and 3 yellow skinned J20 SPs were busy test flying today.

Last edited:

Rushil51

Country flag

Some new pics of J20 on Chinese National Day(?). Pretty good pictures.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
the weather was quite good recently ...so the test flight of J20 first serial Production batch is quite busy...

loads of great shot by my our military fans...credit to them...lol

2 paint ready and 3 yellow skinned J20 SPs were busy test flying today.

What is that between two engines on the body facing outwards?

shiphone

Country flag
in that section there are two 'covers' ... right now i'm not sure which one is coz the Serial Production plane has some adjustments ...i prefer the second 'guess' ..lol

1 one is for brake parachute

2. the other for the air inlet of Engine starter...(I used to say it APU, but Gas Engine starter might be more correct )

no...the APU locats in the rear part of the plane...

the positions of air intake(with the cover open status) and exhausts under the fuselage...

Last edited:

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
When we gone a see our FGFA and AMCA like this.....:frown:

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
@shiphone Few questions
When did J-20 program started
It it got IOC
do it had thrust vectoring......?

shiphone

Country flag
1.as we always said " 装备一代,改进一代,研制一代” means: when the new generation combat plane was commssioned, the improvement of this model should be started right then, and at the same time the R&D of Next Gen model should started as well...

China 4th Gen fighter plan(XXJ project) actually started as early as late 1990s ,but we called it Pre-research and Pre-development phase.. many tech demonstration and sub-system development started in this period.

the J10 project finished development phase in 2004 ,and then after a competitive bidding between two R&D teams, the winner got the big prize as main contractor, the loser was also got some subcontracts. the date should be around 2004-2005. then the full speed development based on the Pre-research began...the first prototype flied on 11th Jan 2011...
----------------

2.there are two steps of J20 project, J20A with AL31fn and future varient with WS15. the J20A is very close to the delivery of the Low Rate Initial Production batch which means the J20A is very close to the important milestone - Design Certification award . based on the tradition , it would happened in around one year(in 2017 or early 2018) . in China R&D system, when the certification is awarded, the plane should finish all kinds of tests and fulfill the ALL the request on the Development Contract. so called IOC is not a standard used in China. when the combat unit got their fighters, normally they are requested to form the full scale combat effectiveness in a certain period of time...
----------------

3. we might not able to see thrust vectoring nozzle on current J20A ,the russian has modified a TVC varient of AL31FN serial for a decade and bring it to Airshow china every time...but we thought this propose was not interested ...

the coming of WS15 in 2018 might be the final answer of this question. the R&D of TVC tech has been going on for nearly two decades....WS15 engine project also started in 2005, 11 years has gone...

the mock up of the AL31Fn with TVC...PS, attention ,this TVC is different from the approach on AL31FP...

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
engine's thrust vector control tech was developed for nearly two decades...
the ground test used to have a Turbo Jet engine as the baseline test engine ,and nowadays it turns to be the varients of WS-10 serial Turbo Fan...

1.in late 1990s, the principle demonstration prototype was exhibited on a defense exhibition.

2. Vectoring nozzle on the a baseline turbo jet engine(WP13?)

3. some try with composite material on the nozzle

4. the Test bed views (inside and outside)

--------------
the TVC nozzle test on EJ-200..the approach and structure on Chinese design would be close to this...

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
the J10 project finished development phase in 2004 ,and then after a competitive bidding between two R&D teams, the winner got the big prize as main contractor, the loser was also got some subcontracts. the date should be around 2004-2005. then the full speed development based on the Pre-research began...the first prototype flied on 11th Jan 2011...
after a recheck the info which I had , a little correction here..

J20 project is approved might be a littler later than my early claim...it got the PLA and State's approval in 2007 after 2-3 year long initial design and competitive bidding period(2004-2006), this timeline might be more close to the reality...

-----------------
during the long National day vacation, there were loads nice shots of J20 Initial serial production batch ready for delivery ...since no one reposted, I would try my turn...

copyright@ TNT

shiphone

Country flag
cross post

------------------------
one of the Classic F22 airshow flying demostration - Open Weapon-bay showcase duing the circling would be performed as well.

another interesting thing is one of J20 Initial Production batch was paited with a splinter camouflage which we have never seen... this special camouflage might be a one-off specialized scheme for the Airshow without the standard 'shining under the sun' RAM coating...

another special device for the Public show--Luneberg lens under the fuselage to increase the RCS

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles