It's Sukhoi vs Eurofighter as IAF 'takes on' RAF

sandeepdg

NEW DELHI: Top-notch fighters and other aircraft from India and UK will match their combat skills in the `Indra-Dhanush' joint exercise at Kalaikunda airbase in West Bengal later this month.

While the British Royal Air Force will deploy their spanking new Eurofighter jets for the exercise slated to begin from October 20, the IAF fleet will be led by the `air dominance' Sukhoi-30MKI fighters.

"The exercise will be held in an AWACS (airborne warning and control systems) environment, with air defence being a major thrust area. We will be fielding different types of our fighters," said a senior official.

Both the Indian and British forces are also expected to use their mid-air refuelling aircraft, like the IL-78 and VC-10 tankers, during the combat manoeuvres.

"The aim of the joint exercise is to learn from each other and enhance mutual operational understanding. With every exercise, IAF has gained valuable experience and gained respect as a highly-professional and motivated force," the official added.

The exercise comes at a time when the $10.4 billion project to acquire 126 medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) for IAF is in the final stages of selection process.

Apart from Eurofighter, the other five contenders in the hotly-contested race to bag the lucrative MMRCA project are the F/A-18 `Super Hornet' and F-16 `Falcon' (both US), Gripen (Swedish), Rafale (French) and MiG-35 (Russian).

A major Indo-UK defence deal has been the `Hawk' AJT (advanced jet trainer) project. As reported earlier, India is going in for another 57 Hawks as a "follow-on" order to the ongoing Rs 8,000 crore AJT project, finalised in March 2004 with BAE Systems, under which IAF is already getting 66 Hawks.

It's Sukhoi vs Eurofighter as IAF 'takes on' RAF - The Times of India

ashdoc

Country flag
the sukhoi has already been tested against the eurofighter in the cope thunder exercise ,i think.........it did match the eurofighter in that exercise , though any more testing is welcome.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
in 2007 sukhoi exceeded the performance of the eurofighter in almost all categories a fighter aircraft's performance is judged.the raf tried to project the victory of eurofighter in bvr but the indian side restricted the full capability use of the highly sensitive n011m bars phased array radar which is one of the best phased array radars and has a maximum search range of 350 km. unlike eurofighter the su-30 mki can also act as a mini awacs and it is the the most manueverable in the currently(only exceeded by pak-fa).

vijaytripoli

Is IAF Fielding Our Newly Placon Awacs in this Excercise as reported in the news above that Awacs will be used in this exercise...?
Chau

JBH22

USA got the C-17 deal plus jet engines
UK got Hawks deal
Russia got the Su-30 mki plus FGFA deals

so this leaves us only with the french who got nothing is it an indication for the MRCA???

Agantrope

UK got Hawks deal

so this leaves us only with the french who got nothing is it an indication for the MRCA???
French got the Mirgae Upgrade deal :D

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
What a timing, this exercise is looking like a timely sales pitch for the EF Typhoon. RAF will obviously send its most skillful pilots.

chex3009

Country flag
I think the IAF will be fielding its work-horse Su-30MKI under the glory of Phalcon AWACS for the first time in any exercise i guess, the IAF will show its true power this time to the westerners and obviously would learn the EFs of the RAF very closely, the IAF will out perform RAF and their EFs for surely.

Jackal

Posts #3 and #10 are...Interesting, especially without a source...

I have a few paragraphs from the RAF Typhoons point of view (sort of) during Exercise Indra Dhanush '10. More information would be nice, although still interesting and gives you a rough idea of what happened.

'During the first week of the exercise, both IAF and RAF crews had the opportunity to familiarise themselves with the capabilities of each others aircraft, conducting visual dog-fighting manoeuvres against one or two jets. Thanks to the combination of superb agility and the emmensely powerful EJ200 engines, Typhoon was able to demonstrate its exceptional performance capabilities in this arena even when facing the latest, thrust vectored, SU-30MKI.'

'Week two witnessed scenarios of ever increasing complexity and Typhoon successfully operating with all the IAF fighters on both 'BLUE' and 'RED' sides in Offensive and Defensive Counter Air roles (OCA/DCA). Utilising its full range of sensors - including MIDS - Typhoon was able to demonstrate outstanding levels of tactical situational awareness gleaned from the 'fused' information clearly displayed within the cockpit, a point that impressed the IAF front line pilots who had the opportunity to fly with the Typhoons during the exercise. Although airspace and exersice contraints restricted Typhoon from unleashing its full potential in the Beyond Visual Range (BVR) arena, exersice staff and pilots from both the IAF and RAF were thrilled with the opportunity to train and learn together.'

'All good things must come to an end and all involved are looking forward to the next Indra Dhanush which should see the return of the IAF to the UK. Indra Dhanush gave Typhoon the opportunity to demonstrate its deployed operational robustness yet again, and prove that it is capable of operating together with SU-30MKI and other IAF fighters to great affect, a powerful deterrent should India choose to become the next member of the Eurofighter Typhoon family'.

Source: Eurofighter World magazine.

Don't think that the MKI had an easy time against the Typhoon.

p2prada

What a timing, this exercise is looking like a timely sales pitch for the EF Typhoon. RAF will obviously send its most skillful pilots.
What timing? IAF would have already decided which aircraft they are going to fly. They just haven't announced it yet. That's all. This exercise has no bearing on the deal.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
In response to all chest thumpings of Fanboys, I don't think the MKI and the EF2K pilots care about whcih aircraft comes out on top.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
UK got Hawks deal

I have seen many post like this and they really annoy me. Sometimes I feel we don't have a spine.
Why we people just think about making other people happy? We should care about our interest!!! None of the above mentioned countries are going to come for us in our time of need so its high time we only care about our interest.

arya

Country flag
guys can some one know how much time will take in MMRCA

su30 is good plane but we need more option and numbers rafale is the best option for IAF

Neil

Country flag

su30 is good plane but we need more option and numbers rafale is the best option for IAF
time frame is by year end or by early next year....but no one knows how much time will it take....IAF has done its job its the MoD[bureaucracy] which has to now decide....
there are many good options in front of IAF so lets see....

Neil

Country flag

time frame is by year end or by early next year....but no one knows how much time will it take....IAF has done its job its the MoD[bureaucracy] which has to now decide....
there are many good options in front of IAF so lets see....

Crusader53

I have seen many post like this and they really annoy me. Sometimes I feel we don't have a spine.
Why we people just think about making other people happy? We should care about our interest!!! None of the above mentioned countries are going to come for us in our time of need so its high time we only care about our interest.

India is building strong relationships with a number of Countries and my even become a Member of a Major Alliance. Remember, friendships and partnerships are two way streets. All that said the Indian Government seem to understand that and is working hard to change the way it does business.

Suryakiran

India is building strong relationships with a number of Countries and my even become a Member of a Major Alliance. Remember, friendships and partnerships are two way streets. All that said the Indian Government seem to understand that and is working hard to change the way it does business.
Agreed. But, partnership should not come by compromising our safety. We cannot afford to pick French product just for friendship, if there is something better than Rafale.

Crusader53

Agreed. But, partnership should not come by compromising our safety. We cannot afford to pick French product just for friendship, if there is something better than Rafale.

I don't think the Rafale will win the MMRCA. Clearly, every capable yet expensive........That said, if India decides not to purchase the Super Hornet. It could pull it out. As its cheaper than the Typhoon and more mature.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles