ISRO General News and Updates

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Yaar , what are the difference between cryogenic engine , semi cryogenic engine , hi power cryogenic engine , and any other type of cryogenic engine that ISRO have ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk
Semi Cryogenic engine uses liquid kerosene as the fuel.

Cryogenic engine uses liquid oxygen and liquid Hydrogen as the fuel at very low temperature around -250*c. This low temperature is used to mitigate the very high heat generated in combustion.

ISRO has developed 3 types of cryogenic engines. They are used in GSLV Mk1, MK2 and proposed GSLV MK3.

They are difference in power. The GSLV Mk II which is going to be used used the second type of ISRO cryogenic engine. That is capable of putting 2 ton of satellite in Geosynchronous orbit. The december launch of GSLV MKIII is going to use most powerful of ISRO rocket which shall be used to put 3.5 ton satellite in Geosynchronous orbit.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Update on Human Spaceflight Program.
Manned Space Programme
The major advancements in India's space programme during the last two years include (i) Insertion of India's Mars Orbiter around the planet Mars, (ii) realisation of indigenous Cryogenic engine and building indigenous capability of launching 2 Ton class satellites, (iii) realisation of space based services for en-route navigation & safety-of-life applications in aviation sector, (iv) completion of Indigenous satellite navigational systemNavIC, (v) placement of an observatory in space ASTROSAT" enabling simultaneous multi-wavelength (from Ultraviolet to X-Ray) observations of stars and galaxies, (vi) deployment of an indigenously built S-Band Unfurlable Antenna (6 meter) in space for satellite based mobile communications, (vii) technology demonstration of reusable launch vehicle, (viii) launching of 20 satellites in a single launch mission.
ISRO has taken up the development of critical technologies as part of pre-project activities for the Manned Space Programme. Major activities identified under Pre-Project are Crew Module (CM) systems, Environmental Control & Life Support System (ECLSS), Flight Suit and Crew Escape System (CES). The Crew module was flight tested in the experimental mission of GSLV MkIII on December 18, 2014 and the re-entry characteristics and the recovery of the Crew Module were successfully demonstrated. The flight suit development has been completed. Development of the ECLSS and the Crew Escape Systems are progressing well and is targeted to be completed in 2016-17.
As of now, Manned Space Programme is not an approved programme. Currently, ISRO is developing critical technologies relevant for human spaceflight for building future capacity. No cooperation or assistance has been sought from any other country during the last two years in this regard.
This information was provided by the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh in written reply to a question in Lok Sabha today.
This was just as I told before.
Human Spaceflight Program was never shelved. It was just put on hold for some time because of other priorities.:)

Akask kumar

\
This was just as I told before.
Human Spaceflight Program was never shelved. It was just put on hold for some time because of other priorities.:)
Yes human space flight is of no use unless there is plan for developing space station..if done then it will be just a show-piece nothing else..

but good thing is ISRO has almost preapred the space flight realted technology so that if there is will and nod from the gvt we can go in space withing a year.

Akask kumar

https://www.rt.com/news/354547-china-spacecraft-rocket-engines/

At the start of the week the China Aerospace Science & Technology Corporation (CASC) boasted about the successful completion and testing of the combined “gas generator and turbopump structure for its 500-tonne class LOX/Kerosene liquid engine” to be used to power up heavy launch vehicle, Long March-9 (CZ-9)
It will carry a load of 130 tons to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) equal to what NASA is aiming for with its Space Launch System (SLS), which could blast off for the first time as early as 2018 with an initial test payload of 70 tons. When completed China hopes to use the rocket beyond Earth’s orbit and fly to the Moon and eventually Mars
Besides the announced breakthroughs in engine design, China is developing a perspective hybrid reusable space vehicle that will combine three different kinds of engine technologies, reported CCTV.
Namely, the new ship that is being developed as a “combination powered aircraft” will rely on an indigenous turbine, ramjet and rocket engines to power the spaceship in different phases of the flight into space
“We have made a long-term plan of taking about three to five years to master the key technologies, and significantly improve the capability of the spacecraft during the application,” said Zhang Yong, China Aerospace Science & Technology Corp, as quoted by Xinhua. “We aim to implement the technology in suborbital flight and orbital insertion by 2030.

@Indx TechStyle @HariPrasad-1 @Chinmoy @rishivashista13

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@Akask kumar Got the content about Indian Super Heavy Rocket from Spaceflight Forum. Three concepts with capacity of 67 to 120 tonnes.

But one thing is sure that, ULV , HLV or SHLV, all are based in GSLV Mk3 designs.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
\

Yes human space flight is of no use unless there is plan for developing space station..if done then it will be just a show-piece nothing else..

but good thing is ISRO has almost preapred the space flight realted technology so that if there is will and nod from the gvt we can go in space withing a year.
Well, Government said program is not "yet approved", because they can't approve it before start of 13 the five years plan in 2017.:p
So, I guess they have plans. Rest we will know in 2017.

Akask kumar

Well, Government said program is not "yet approved", because they can't approve it before start of 13 the five years plan in 2017.:p
So, I guess they have plans. Rest we will know in 2017.
Plan are no plan .. dsnt matter. we are ready..
GSLV MK 3 -- ready by dec.
crew module-- tested ok.
Suits --- ready
crew life support-- shud not be a big deal,as we hav knowledge to keep ppl alive in research station in Antartica(as cold nd hostile as space).
Ejection system -- need work , but it will not take time..

as rightly said by some 1 above that . we will be Technologically capable of shooting ourselves in space next year..

THE ONLY QUESTION WILL BE SHOULD WE DO IT NOW OR LATER.. my take do it later.. let HLV n ULV get developed..if we do it before then it will be meaningless n will be just show-off

Akask kumar

@Akask kumar Got the content about Indian Super Heavy Rocket from Spaceflight Forum. Three concepts with capacity of 67 to 120 tonnes.

But one thing is sure that, ULV , HLV or SHLV, all are based in GSLV Mk3 designs.
thnx .. ya we need SHLV also for future mars.n deep human space flights like NASAs orion.. so SHLV similar in capacity with NASA's Space Launch System.. ???
as i posted ,chinese too are developing super heavy lift vehicles.. long march 9

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
thnx .. ya we need SHLV also for future mars.n deep human space flights like NASAs orion.. so SHLV similar in capacity with NASA's Space Launch System.. ???
as i posted ,chinese too are developing super heavy lift vehicles.. long march 9
But I'm more excited about if ISRO can launch a mission like Voyager.
For which, we need nuclear propulsion (under development in BARC for ISRO), a mud heavy rocket (ready, GSLV Mk3:D) and a far more powerful space network (under construction but will take time).

I personally think that ISRO must attempt such a mission. This will just give us more knowledge about deeper space and hence, better preparations for future missions to these planets and regions.:)

Akask kumar

But I'm more excited about if ISRO can launch a mission like Voyager.
For which, we need nuclear propulsion (under development in BARC for ISRO), a mud heavy rocket (ready, GSLV Mk3:D) and a far more powerful space network (under construction but will take time).

I personally think that ISRO must attempt such a mission. This will just give us more knowledge about deeper space and hence, better preparations for future missions to these planets and regions.:)
but Mr. kiran said ISRO has no plans for nuclear propulsion instead , he said that they are working on ION propulsion..YA VOYAGERS Type missions should be done as early as possible,, coz space is huge and it took 35 years for it to scape our solar system..

but we shud not copy the same thing,instead we shud try solar sail powered by Laser,,faster than voayger- can reach ALPHA CENTAURI IN 20 YEARS.. imagine that.. if not Laser then powered by sun will also work

YA , we shud do more sicence exploration,, enough of this commercial satellite lauches ,let the private partners handle this..

Last edited:

rishivashista13

Country flag
If that is the case , we should start work on wrap drive .
Fastest methode for space exploration ever imagined .

पर वो एक दूर की कौड़ी है । with the technology which human have .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
but Mr. kiran said ISRO has no plans for nuclear propulsion instead , he said that they are working on ION propulsion..
Which idiot told you that?
o_O
They're also working on Nuclear Propulsion. When the model of nuclear thruster was prepared for Cdy-2, India had not proper fuel. So, decided to be imported from Russia because it could take 5-6 years more to develop it indigenously.
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumb...ost-to-Chandrayaan-2/articleshow/48928966.cms
But because Russia denied due to international law, ISRO decided Cdy-2 to be conventional and preparing Cdy-3 and Cdy-4 to use the fuel till India's BARC develops the nuclear material for thruster indigenously.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...d-Space-Mission/2016/01/05/article3213005.ece
You know, I never speak before thinking.:biggrin2:
And the same reason why I oppose foreign collaboration. When we can do ourselves two three years late, why give credit to foreigners in hurry?:p
Think, if there were no countries like US, we would have no collaborative projects and would be doing everything ourselves (we did develop manned spaceflight facilities:) and several things without foreigners), why not do that in most of the cases then?;)

Akask kumar

o_O
They're also working on Nuclear Propulsion. When the model of nuclear thruster was prepared for Cdy-2, India had not proper fuel. So, decided to be imported from Russia because it could take 5-6 years more to develop it indigenously.
http://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumb...ost-to-Chandrayaan-2/articleshow/48928966.cms
But because Russia denied due to international law, ISRO decided Cdy-2 to be conventional and preparing Cdy-3 and Cdy-4 to use the fuel till India's BARC develops the nuclear material for thruster indigenously.
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...d-Space-Mission/2016/01/05/article3213005.ece
And the same reason why I oppose foreign collaboration. When we can do ourselves two three years late, why give credit to foreigners in hurry?:p
Think, if there were no countries like US, we would have no collaborative projects and would be doing everything ourselves (we did develop manned spaceflight facilities:) and several things without foreigners), why not do that in most of the cases then?;)
listen from 1:37 .....................................................

may be i am interpreting it wrong.. I think he is talking in space flight sense,using nuclear power in interstellar flight not on ground rovers..

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
listen from 1:37 .....................................................

may be i am interpreting it wrong.. I think he is talking in space flight sense,using nuclear power in interstellar flight not on ground rovers..
ISRO is working on both technologies and that's confirmed officially.

And now, how much they gonna use, we will come to know later.:)

Akask kumar

o_O
i read the post .. the nucleat power is meant to drive the rovers and power it equiptments.giving it more self life than solar powered rovers .. As we have seen in the case of curiosity(nuclear powered) and spirit rover(solar powered) of NASA..

good to see they are working on the reactor .. if successfully deveoped it can power deep space crafts.But to make things clear.. Nuclear propulsion is in fact Nuclear powered propulsion.. which is Ion propulsion powered by NUclear reactor.. which make space craft lighter,sleeker and more powerful..

Normally Ion propulsion uses solar power..

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
i read the post .. the nucleat power is meant to drive the rovers and power it equiptments.giving it more self life than solar powered rovers .. As we have seen in the case of curiosity(nuclear powered) and spirit rover(solar powered) of NASA..

good to see they are working on the reactor .. if successfully deveoped it can power deep space crafts.But to make things clear.. Nuclear propulsion is in fact Nuclear powered propulsion.. which is Ion propulsion powered by NUclear reactor.. which make space craft lighter,sleeker and more powerful..

Normally Ion propulsion uses solar power..
Whatever but I was talking about using nuclear propulsion for deep space penetration.
For example, a very small nuclear blast was planned for Chandrayaan 2 earlier to put in space.

System in rover is completely and may be way more complex.

Meanwhile, Voyagers used that blast mainly. New Jet Propulsion lab of India has also opportunity here to demonstrate it's capability.:)
I think we still needs time to make nuclear rovers but we are well positioned to launch a spacecraft like Voyager in near future.

Akask kumar

Whatever but I was talking about using nuclear propulsion for deep space penetration.
For example, a very small nuclear blast was planned for Chandrayaan 2 earlier to put in space.

System in rover is completely and may be way more complex.

Meanwhile, Voyagers used that blast mainly. New Jet Propulsion lab of India has also opportunity here to demonstrate it's capability.:)
I think we still needs time to make nuclear rovers but we are well positioned to launch a spacecraft like Voyager in near future.
ok .. i just read about voyager.. it was blasted(nuclear blast) into space.. there is no propulsion system and it used gravity assist to add few more accelerations... down side of this -- 35 freaking years to leave the solar system

but if we plan deep space mission we should use ion propulsion . it will be faster.. and i think the links that you posted reagarding nuclear propulsion is infact talking about powering the rover from electricity generated by nuclear energy not solar.. so they are developing a mini reactor..i cudnt find where they talked about nuclear blast propulsion there

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles