Israel forces tourist to pledge to avoid pro-Palestinian activities as condition for

Discussion in 'West Asia & Africa' started by Son of Govinda, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Son of Govinda

Son of Govinda Regular Member

Israel forces tourist to pledge to avoid pro-Palestinian activities as condition for entry - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Israel's Interior Ministry last week refused to allow a Swedish tourist to enter the country unless she signed a document committing her to avoid any contact with "members of pro-Palestinian organizations".

Anna Pgereld, a 30-year-old Swedish woman who is five-months pregnant, arrived at the Taba border crossing near Eilat around noon on Tuesday with a Norwegian friend, and was immediately singled out for questioning.

"I was invited into an office and was questioned about my religion, if I had contact with any religious organizations here, what I do during the day, how much money I have got to spend and where I got it, what I do in Sweden and so on. Then we had to wait again, not knowing what would happen," she told the left-leaning blog +972.

After waiting for several hours, Pgereld she was presented with what seemed to be an improvised contract, written in broken English, which displayed the logo of the Interior Ministry's Population, Immigration and Border Authority.

After she agreed to sign it, her passport was stamped with a visa allowing her to stay in Israel until her scheduled flight out nine days later, instead of the usual 3-month visa.

"It seems very strange to be asked such questions in a democratic country. I don't think it's anyone's business who I'm going to talk to or who my friends are. I came as a tourist, with a friend, who for some reason wasn't asked a single question," Pgereld said.

"I was subjected to a difficult interrogation for four and a half hours. It was already starting to get dark outside. I realized that if I didn't sign, they weren't going to let me enter Israel and I would be arrested. It was a very difficult experience. I have visited Israel in the past, and I've never experienced anything like this."

The Interior Ministry's Population, Immigration and Border Authority said it was surprised to hear about the incident.

"The purpose behind the document was to make sure the lady doesn’t visit friction areas. Nevertheless, we intend to check the issue and the document itself," an Authority spokeswoman told +972 in response.

3. Son of Govinda

Inb4 Pack leader, Galaxy, and The Jewish Internet Defense Force.

4. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

The Palestinians and the Arabs in general are pretty chill about pro-Israeli tourists though.

5. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

Gaining a entry into any country is a privilege, not a right. A country has every right to define the rules that govern this privilege.

pack leader and W.G.Ewald like this.
  6. Son of Govinda

Yeah but at least the Palestinians don't pretend to be the only democracy in the middle east.

7. Son of Govinda

Read my post above. For any country that claims to be a democracy, this is an outrage.

This person wasn't Muslim and didn't pose a violent threat of any sort... she was held for 4.5 hours only because they thought she might protest.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  8. Dovah

So your gripe is that Israel labels itself as a democracy?

9. Son of Govinda

If you had any idea how much bullshit Israel gets away with by claiming to be "The only democracy in the middle-east" you would see what I mean. I think Americans are slowly starting to wake up and realize how :bs: it really is.

10. Dovah

If Israel changes its political system, its actions would be justified(acc. to you?)?

11. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

Democracy does not mean that there is no rule of law. Democracy is for citizens of that state, who are a part of it.

What does that have to do with anything? Are you insinuating that every Muslim is anti-Israel by default.

pack leader likes this.
  12. Son of Govinda

Nothing justifies this kind of rights violations. I just think Israel should stop deceiving everyone and be more transparent, that's all.

13. Dovah

A couple of days ago Indian envoy to the US was detained, guess US ain't much of a democracy either.

For a small nation surrounded by 5 hostile neighbors they're doing what they can to protect themselves, if anything I'd want India to take a leaf out of Israel's book.

14. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

15. Son of Govinda

This was done directly by federal departments of the government. They have to function according to the law....

No, but typically when someone is held by Israel or America it's almost always because they gave a Muslim sounding name, or suspected links to Islam. It's not discrimination, it's the cold truth.

16. Son of Govinda

17. Son of Govinda

America isn't much of a democracy either you're right. It's another white-wash wannabe just like Israel.

18. Dovah

I'd rather live in safe Israel-wannabe-democracy than be scared for my life in a true democracy.

Face it, if the Arabs wielded the kind of power that Israel does there would've been no nation such as Israel now.

19. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

SRK, is an Indian envoy ?????

20. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

The USA is a representative republic. I guess North Korea is a true democracy.

Dovah likes this.
  21. Dovah

Oh, typo...I meant "years" not days..I was referring to Meera Shankar. :doh:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012