Islamic State trying to gain foothold in PoK: Army

Alien

SRINAGAR: In ominous signs for Pakistan and India, terror outfit Islamic State (IS) is trying to gain a foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, a senior India Army official said on Friday.

"Whatever inputs we have, the IS has not taken in a major way, but they are definitely trying to gain foothold in the area (PoK)", general officer commanding (GoC), 16 Corps, Lt Gen K H Singh told reporters on sidelines of an Army function in Jhangar, Rajauri district, on Friday.

He was replying to a question on the threat perception of IS in PoK amid media reports about the terror outfit's presence in the valley.

Lt Gen Singh said that there were around 200 to 225 militants in 36 launch pads across the Pir Panchal range waiting to infiltrate into the Indian side.

The terror infrastructure across the border was intact and training camps were still active, he added.

Army today celebrated "Jhangar Day" to commemorate the sacrifice made by Brigadier Mohd Usman, who was martyred during the 1947-48 operation in Noushera sector of Rajouri district in Jammu and Kashmir.

Brigadier Mohd Usman had played a pivotal role as commander of 50 Parachute Brigade during the recapture of Jhangar and the battle of Noushera, which earned him the title of 'Noushera Ka Sher'. He was posthumously awarded the "Maha Vir Chakra".

The officer also laid wreath on the War Memorial and felicitated family members of martyred soldiers and interacted with the locals of Noushera tehsil who were recently treated in medical and artificial limb camp.

According to a Reuters report, fighters loyal to Islamic State have seized substantial territory in Afghanistan for the first time, wresting areas in the east from rival Taliban insurgents in a new threat to stability.

Witnesses who fled fighting in Nangarhar province said that hundreds of insurgents pledging allegiance to Islamic State pushed out the Taliban, scorching opium poppy fields that help to fund the Taliban's campaign to overthrow the Afghan government.

They also distributed directives purportedly from Islamic State's Middle East-based chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, although it was not clear whether he issued them for the Afghan theatre or if previous edicts may have been translated.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...foothold-in-PoK-Army/articleshow/47924299.cms

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
The IS there will definitely be supported by Pakistanis and they will create special anti Indian factions out of it.

salute

reason to pull india into fight,well done usa.

aliyah

india is not that weak that some gawars like IS can rule india or its province....... talking of paki supporting IS to create problems in Kashmir or india....well from 1996 till 2014 political establishment in india tied our security forces hands...... but now all our security establishments r given free run.so now if paki does any kind of adventure like IS or other,we r in position to reverse it and use it against Pakistan. and they r facing this heat.

anupamsurey

Country flag
In fact, I am hoping for it, once IS gets hold of POK, we can enter there, kick their butts and get our territory back.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
I am in support of infiltrating the POK by specially trained locals from our hill states as they can mix well with the people there. Start with low magnitude in Gilgit area. Teams like CIT - X needed. If you want to get back the POK in the next 20 years.

blueblood

I am in support of infiltrating the POK by specially trained locals from our hill states as they can mix well with the people there. Start with low magnitude in Gilgit area. Teams like CIT - X needed. If you want to get back the POK in the next 20 years.
Well we a healthy supply of Gujjars-Bakarwals, this side of LC. Revival of Ikhwan can also be on the cards.

I am pretty certain that the revival of the elements of CIT-X, CIT-J and TSD is well underway. NSA has been provided free hand and he must using every ounce of it.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Well we a healthy supply of Gujjars-Bakarwals, this side of LC. Revival of Ikhwan can also be on the cards.

I am pretty certain that the revival of the elements of CIT-X, CIT-J and TSD is well underway. NSA has been provided free hand and he must using every ounce of it.
Yes, and may be that'S why Pakistan is not openly coming forward with the details as their GHQ is having taste of Indian covert capabilities and hence they are running to England, BBC and UN these days. :D

I am suddenly surized to see Pakistan going to UN and England just to blame India. I don't remember this happened before. They were quite confident about their covert capabilities and rather challenged India for proxy war. :p

At the moment I want to know is, what would be the weakness in politics of POK (specially Gilgit) which can be utilized.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Yes, and may be that'S why Pakistan is not openly coming forward with the details as their GHQ is having taste of Indian covert capabilities and hence they are running to England, BBC and UN these days. :D

I am suddenly surized to see Pakistan going to UN and England just to blame India. I don't remember this happened before. They were quite confident about their covert capabilities and rather challenged India for proxy war. :p

At the moment I want to know is, what would be the weakness in politics of POK (specially Gilgit) which can be utilized.
I would speculate that maybe Americans were stopping them from going to UN and stuff before, and now Chinese are giving them a free hand.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
I would speculate that maybe Americans were stopping them from going to UN and stuff before, and now Chinese are giving them a free hand.
And Chinese have started vetoing too against India.

aliyah

we have not done any CIT operations in Kashmir and we dont have to in future too.

blueblood

we have not done any CIT operations in Kashmir and we dont have to in future too.
I never implied that we did. In recent times TSD was responsible for Kashmir and yes we need it back. With ISIS playing khalifa-khalifa in POK we need TSD now more than ever. Just to make sure that ISI and ISIS don't fall in love and have babies together.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles