Islamic book tells husbands to 'beat wives', sparks outrage

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Blackwater, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Pull her by the ear, beat her by hand or stick': Islamic guide to a happy marriage

Pull her by the ear, beat her by hand or stick': How the Islamic guide to a happy marriage advises husbands to treat their wives:tsk::tsk::tsk:

An Islamic 'marriage guide' book has sparked outrage - by advising men on the best ways to beat their wives.
    A Gift For Muslim Couple tells husbands that they should beat their wives with 'hand or stick or pull her by the ears'.
    But the book has faced a backlash from moderate Muslims who claim that it encourages domestic violence.
    The 160-page book claims to be a 'presentation for newlyweds' or couples who have been together for some years. It is written by Maulavi Ashraf Ali Thanvi, who is understood to be a prominent Islamic scholar.
    According to the book's blurb: 'The book... deals with the subject of marriage and after marriage relationship, as well as the various pitfalls of marriage, causes of breakdown and their causes.'
    It also claims to give 'real life incidents' and advises on 'different aspects of family life and how to run the institution of marriage successfully'.
    But within the book's opening pages it states that 'it might be necessary to restrain her with strength or even to threaten her.'
    It continues: 'The husband should treat the wife with kindness and love, even if she tends to be stupid and slow sometimes.'

More...
    Pensioner who died after fall at care home 'lay on the floor bleeding for up to 10 minutes because Muslim nurse was praying'
    French Al Qaeda fanatic was on terror watch list, caught planting Taliban bombs and a suspect in first murder two weeks ago: So WHY was he ever allowed to roam free and kill seven?
    Nearly 1,000 Pakistani women were victims of honour killings last year... but true number could be far higher
    RIGHTMINDS: We will never tolerate being killed for a kiss, says MARTIN SAMUEL
    The author then gives the 'rights of the husband'. According to the book, these include his wife’s inability to leave 'his house without his permission'.
    She must then 'fulfill his desires' and 'not allow herself to be untidy ... but should beautify herself for him'.
    Worryingly, the book advises men that they should scold their wives. According to the book, they may also 'beat by hand or stick, withhold money from her or pull (her) by the ears.'
    It the adds that men should 'refrain from beating her excessively.'
    The book came to light after going on sale in a Canadian book store. It is understood to have sold out there.
    However, it is widely available from Islamic online book stores.
    Canadian political campaigner Tarek Fatah said that the shop should be banned from stores.
    'I wouldn’t say it’s hate, but it is inciting men to hit women,' he told the Toronto Sun.

Read more: Muslim guide to marriage tells husbands to 'beat her by hand or stick' | Mail Online

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Obviously such a damning falsehood would cause outrage.

Now, if the Nurse had to pray, then the hospital administration should have made arrangements for relief or mentioned it in the job contract that one cannot take time out for anything without ensuring that there is a replacement.

If you have to post this type of stuff, you should also give some comments.

Or else, it would not be wrong for people to assume that it is being done to do down a community or inflame passions.

4. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Islamic book tells husbands to 'beat wives', sparks outrage

London, March 25, 2012

An Islamic 'marriage guide' has sparked off outrage for advising men to beat their wives with 'hand or stick or pull her by the ears'.
    The 160-page book tilled 'A Gift For Muslim Couple' claims to be a 'presentation for newlyweds' or couples who have been together for some years.

It is written by Maulavi Ashraf Ali Thanvi, who is understood to be a prominent Islamic scholar.

According to the book's blurb, 'the book deals with the subject of marriage and after marriage relationship, as well as the various pitfalls of marriage, causes of breakdown and their causes.'

Within the book's opening pages it states that 'it might be necessary to restrain her (wife) with strength or even to threaten her,' The Daily Mail reports.

"The husband should treat the wife with kindness and love, even if she tends to be stupid and slow sometimes," the book says.

The book says that the wife must 'fulfill his (husband's) desires' and 'not allow herself to be untidy ... but should beautify herself for him.'

According to the report, the book, which came to light after going on sale in Canada, has faced a backlash from moderate Muslims who claim that it encourages domestic violence,

"I wouldn't say it's hate, but it is inciting men to hit women," Canadian political campaigner Tarek Fatah told the Toronto Sun.

"This is new to you, but the Muslim community knows that this is widespread, that a woman can be beaten. Muslim leaders will deny this," he added.

Islamic book tells husbands to 'beat wives', sparks outrage - Hindustan Times

5. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

6. Galaxy

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is Great."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Regular Member

What is this how can this be said by a learned scholar IS THIS REALLY IN ISLAMIC TEXT ??? Or was misquoted by an radical mullah ??

But thats appart the author must be put behind bars for encouraging violence after all this is not Paki land LONDON

8. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

In today's world, the only way you can make a marriage work is if the men compromise.

Sabir, Razor, panduranghari and 2 others like this.
  9. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

One small source of Islamophobia and the West is going to make most of it for it's campaigns.

10. Galaxy

If i am not mistaken, It is written Quar'n to beat wife. :scared2:

I found many such controversial thing in Quar'n.

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Wife_Beating_in_Islam

Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Allah is surely great!!
    Qur'an 4:34

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  11. Singh

@galaxy Muslims can point out dozens of passages in Hindu Texts, which will be considered abhorrent today.

The issue is it should be followed in letter and spirit. Using one passage out of context without understanding why it was written is a mistake made by radical muslims and radical islamophobes.

12. Galaxy

I don't think, there is any such thing. But anyone is free to ask for clarification. Learning is always good. I am trying to learn more about Quar'n to understand the mindset of Islamist. People can clarify if it's wrong too. :)

I am in process of collecting lots of controversial point. Few are epic.

13. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Regular Member

Hoooo my god thats really crazy may be since islam was written during medieval period it suits that time definitely not current 21th century may be top Islam scholars join together to change these text

rock127 likes this.
  14. rock127

There is no one "superior" as such between man and woman.Both have best of the things but can't be compared.

15. Singh

I have with me Laws of Manu for starters but then I'd be digressing.

It seems you are not trying to learn about it for the sake of understanding but for the sake of ridiculing.

Unfortunately due to the way our legal system works, we try to follow things only in letter, and argue on technicalities.

16. rock127

And that medieval mindset is being FORCED by these mad mullahs even today which kept woman for only sex in harems and produce kids.

Mr.Ryu likes this.
  17. Galaxy

I didn't wrote that. I took from Quar'n which is independent phrase and not in any context.

18. Galaxy

I am not ridiculing anything. Didn't even gave my opinion also. I just posted from Quar'n which says "Men can beat Wife" with no context. If it's wrong, Give clarification. It's not off-topic but related with topic only. I can post many many such things as it is but not doing it.

19. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Well some of it is 7th century stuff and some of it manufactured by Wahhabi Saudis [I speak as a non-muslim]. For example apparently the Kuran asks both men and women to dress modestly - nowhere it is mentioned that women must be covered in a black waste bag with just a slit or even a net over the eyes! OTOH all religions were made by men for men and have some nasty rules for women whether xtianity or hinduism or islam...:p. Thing is these rules were made 1000 years or more in the past, not meant for 21st century, not to be followed to the letter.

panduranghari and Mad Indian like this.
  20. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Galat, galat,galat.

Well, raising hands on women is prohibited.

Galaxy wrong interpretation and quote of The Quran.

Now where does it say the man has a right to beat his wife? Isn't the same rule applicable even in Indian Cultural context?

At the end of the day, it boils down to interpretation. While say a Dawoodi Bohra sect gives equal rights including allowing them to enter mosques, you can have the Taliban twist it all and not allow them to even step out of the house.

It depends on who you want to set as an example of actual Islamic representative. A rule that uses Islam as a tool to subjugate it's masses like Saudis and other regimes or a Muslim sect free to practice it's faith in true Sharia spirit like the Dawwodi Bohras?

I guess the choice will be made on the basis of what suits ones particular bias.

The Messiah likes this.
  21. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

BTW, The Quran has two meanings, one literal and one esoteric. The esoteric part can be explained only by the Prophet and His successors by blood the Imams ( as per Shia beliefs) .