Is this the right time to adopt a strict 2 Child-Policy in India ?

• Yes ! Time has come !

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • I am not sure !

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • May be in the next decade !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May be after two decades !

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never !

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

China adopted 1 Child-Policy when their population was approx. 940 millions (94 Crores or 0.94 Billions) in 1979 and now their population is approx. 1340 millions (134 Crores or 1.34 Billions). It officially restricts married, urban couples to having only one child, while allowing exemptions for several cases, including twins, rural couples, ethnic minorities, and parents without any siblings themselves

How China benefited by 1 Child-Policy :-

1. Decline in FR (fertility rate):- from approx. 2.63 to 1.61 per woman
  2. Speedy economic growth:- reduce in the demand of natural resources, maintaining a steady labour rate, reducing unemployment caused from surplus labour, and reducing the rate of exploitation.
  3. Decreased infant mortality rate,
  4. Impact on health care:- better health care services.
  5. Increased savings rate:- The individual savings rate has increased since the one-child policy was introduced. This has been partially attributed to the policy in two respects. First, the average Chinese household expends fewer resources, both in terms of time and money, on children, which gives many Chinese more money with which to invest. Second, since young Chinese can no longer rely on children to care for them in their old age, there is an impetus to save money for the future.

However China's strict 1 Child-Policy is criticised on many grounds yet the benefits are apparent and I hope India will not be criticised on the same grounds. (source: Wiki)

Now if we look at India, Indian population for 2012 is approx. 1240 millions (124 Crores or 1.24 Billions) a lot of people are living in poor conditions, we are a Third world country no doubt, and still a welfare state, we are lagging behind China in almost all the areas. My question is is this the right time to adopt a strict 2 Child-Policy for all in India ? Please discuss !

Note: trolls are not welcomed here!

Last edited:

parijataka

Country flag
Better late than never and should be strictly enforced. Also, round up all BD illegals and sterilise all couples.

A chauhan

Country flag
Better late than never and should be strictly enforced. Also, round up all BD illegals and sterilise all couples.
Yeah! Possibly this is the best way to deal with the problems like unemployment, illiteracy, poverty, lack of health care services, lack of natural resorces etc.

Zarvin

Should've been adopted at independence....for all countries in subcontinent.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India has all kinds of laws and policies, but rarely enforced. Money will make sure those who want will still produce a cricket team and those who don't want to will not produce 1-2 kids even without the existence of laws. Then also expect vote bank politics to kick in and one party batting for one community to have more kids and the other communities feel sidelined leading to even more problems. China could do it as its an authoritarian regime. India may not be able to impose something like this.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Ideally : Yes, Sure ..Why not ?
Reality : Our Policy makers dont have guts to implement this type of policy. A better take can be educating Rural folks (as most of the educated Urban populous dont prefer more than two and in some cases onlee one). ;)

trackwhack

No, we dont need such a law. Time, literacy and economic upliftment will ensure that we reach a TFR of 2 by 2030 at a population of 1.5 billion. It will then gradually start falling off without the country feeling the impact of a demographic shock.

A chauhan

Country flag
If I am not wrong then China without such policy could have grown to a deadly population of 175 Crores approx than 134 Crores of today, now calculate per capita income, gdp and other measures through it, you will see a dramatic difference.

@YB,
Exactly, that's why I didn't use the term 'religion' in OP. Political parties like Congress wont let it happen for their vote bank.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Indians by and large are adopting 2 child policy. Those who aren't should supply the rest cheap labour.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Our biggest worry should be beggars having more than 2 kids while those who can afford education are having only 1 kid.

LalTopi

No. As other DFI members have said, with economic progress we will reach the magic number anyway.

The bigger question is over religious and ethnic mix within regions, e.g. some people fear that moslems favour larger families.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Whatever the Parsis, Jains and Buddhists must be exempt from that. Otherwise they may soon go extinct.

And one really really simple solution to the burgeoning population is just introduce a rule that only the first two children will be included in the ration card. Automatically most of them getting a cricket team will reduce it. And those who are willing to let their child grow without a ration card, so be it.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I have a better idea for poverty prevention and indeed, instant poverty alleviation. Identify the poorest parts of the country, evacuate nearby residents and drop nukes on those areas. Since the poor are the most numerous, this will also lead to instant population control. :rolleyes:

Don't forget the government tried to impose family planning under Sanjay Gandhi in the 70's. What a mess that turned out to be with forced sterilizations of the poor and resulting medical complications. Due to this history, Congress will never tread down that road again.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Some of the poorest parts are also some of the most fertile parts - read Indo Gangetic plains.

Kesang

Okay. I also like the idea of two child policy but what will happen if a mother gives more than 2 child? Will you take that newborn baby from his/her mother forcefully? That will be a very cruel act. I will never ever going to support that.

So. What's your plan to prevent 3rd child?

parijataka

Country flag
Some of the poorest parts are also some of the most fertile parts - read Indo Gangetic plains.
There is a reason why Bengal, UP, Bihar are thickly populated - the land is fertile and there is perennial water supply from Ganga and Yamuna from Himalayan melt waters. Rest of India including the Western and Southern parts are not so lucky.

Okay. I also like the idea of two child policy but what will happen if a mother gives more than 2 child? Will you take that newborn baby from his/her mother forcefully? That will be a very cruel act. I will never ever going to support that.
First off all, Congress govt will not have guts to implement such a policy. Even if they do they might exclude minorities! China has a draconic 1 child policy by which urban couples are not allowed to have more than one child, rural folks can have 2 kids. There are cases where a pregnant lady has been forced to have abortion by the govt as late as 7 months, also baby girls aborted again and again until a boy is born because of this policy. Like Indians Chinese also hanker for male children.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI

One delivery counts as one child . In case of triplets, quadruplets or quintuplets they will still be taken as two children as this is a medical condition beyond the hands of the couple.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles