Is the tank becoming obsolete?

average american

That is why whether, Americans accused Ukraine in supplying with such options to Iraq in 2002. Arrived to us. Walked on a plant, all investigated and even wanted to get secret technical documentation.
I toured the Kyiv Mechanical-technical College in Keiv a long time ago,, did you all ever get the clocks in the class rooms working.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Akim, Damain and all others,

One round gets initiated inside the tank due to any reason (explosion etc) and the tank is fried like a tasty lamb...imagine the effect of explosion of 40 rounds.. so safe is the tank..

Ha Ha Ha....

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Tell that to the tankmen who destroyed Pakistani bunkers in Zojila in 1947. :p

The tank has been, and will remain and integral part of conventional warfare, especially in the deserts of Rajasthan, where infantry are targets with bullseyes painted on their backs.
I know that Tankman of 7 CAV who could not even assemble the tank even by the time war was over... leave alone firing..
Tell those stories to school children..

p2prada

2 missaile with soviet old SAM SA-6 Gainful
A correction here, it was the SA-3 and not SA-6.

The loss does not make sense if all it took was 2 SA-3s to down the F-117. The same wasn't repeated when F-117 saw 1300 sorties.

If F-117 can be brought down so easily, then it should have happened many times and not just once.

The story goes a little like this, F-117 took off and Serbian forces were notified. Flight path was already known. A modified radar focused by predicting where the aircraft would be. Radar could detect a slight disturbance for short periods. It was enough to detect the aircraft but not "track" it. Without tracking a shot is not guaranteed. So, the Serbs fired a lot of missiles at it and not just two of them.

A SA-3 system has 16 missiles ready to fire in a battery. One missile's proximity sensor detected the aircraft and damaged the F-117. We don't know how many were fired but we know for certain that the missiles were fired based on guesswork and assumptions and not hardcore electronic data.

Anyway, I am only supporting one person's story and I am ready to change my point of view if you are to provide a reasonable explanation for this incident.

Damian

Akim, Damain and all others,

One round gets initiated inside the tank due to any reason (explosion etc) and the tank is fried like a tasty lamb...imagine the effect of explosion of 40 rounds.. so safe is the tank..

Ha Ha Ha....
Idiots like You probably not even know how designers solved this problem. Americans completely isolated ammunition from crew in magazines with blow off panels that vents fire and pressure outside vehicle, crew inside is perfectly safe. Proof? Tests video.

So the problem was solved long time ago, and all future MBT projects had similiar safe ammunition storage in turret or hull or both (like M1 Abrams).

So maybe shut up You idiot, and maybe You will learn something from people with far greater knowledge... and higher IQ.

So who should make "ha ha" right now You uneducated primitive form of life?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Idiots like You probably not even know how designers solved this problem. Americans completely isolated ammunition from crew in magazines with blow off panels that vents fire and pressure outside vehicle, crew inside is perfectly safe. Proof? Tests video.

So the problem was solved long time ago, and all future MBT projects had similiar safe ammunition storage in turret or hull or both (like M1 Abrams).

So maybe shut up You idiot, and maybe You will learn something from people with far greater knowledge... and higher IQ.
You are an absolute idiot to think that if 20 rounds get exploded in separated ammunition compartment your arse will be safe...

and you use stupid language .... I suggest you stick to good english...

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

You are an absolute idiot to think that if 20 rounds get exploded in separated ammunition compartment your arse will be safe...
The best thing is that You don't know how ammunition explosdes in a tank, do You? ;)

It is called deflagration, in fact not projectiles are exploding but projectiles propelant charges start to burn, projectiles themselfs very rarely explodes.

Besides this in M1 Abrams turret bustle there is 44 105mm rounds or 34-36 120mm rounds, so I think that it shows clearly how good is this storage and crew protection system, very simple also.

Not to mention that I said earlier that this ammunition magazines have so called blow off panels, this panels are mounted via bolts, and when pressure from deflagrating ammunition is increasing inside magazine, blow off panels just po out, realising dangerous pressure and flames.

However I completely understand that for a person that's IQ is well below IQ level of a... cow, it is difficult to understand such simple working mechanism. :D

and you use stupid language .... I suggest you stick to good english...
Oh, little stupid form of life is a buthurt that he made from himself idiot? Go away to Your parents and stop wasting time of adult people moron.

Last edited:

average american

Minefields a long ago already not barrier for tanks. UR- 77 drives up, 5 minutes, and tanks can ride.
You way out of date,, now days tanks dont run over mines,,,, The USA has systems it can place with in few hundred yards of where a tank might travel, it is programed to recognise the differance between vehicles and shoots a version of this system that will come down on the top of a tank. futuire weapons-shaped charges - YouTube. Then there are smart shells. SMArt 155 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you really want to be in a tank in the next war?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew5YbRadAZA

The US can put these submunitions over any battlefield by the hundreds from shells or bombs.

Last edited:

Akim

Professional
Country flag
A correction here, it was the SA-3 and not SA-6.

The loss does not make sense if all it took was 2 SA-3s to down the F-117. The same wasn't repeated when F-117 saw 1300 sorties.

If F-117 can be brought down so easily, then it should have happened many times and not just once.

The story goes a little like this, F-117 took off and Serbian forces were notified. Flight path was already known. A modified radar focused by predicting where the aircraft would be. Radar could detect a slight disturbance for short periods. It was enough to detect the aircraft but not "track" it. Without tracking a shot is not guaranteed. So, the Serbs fired a lot of missiles at it and not just two of them.

A SA-3 system has 16 missiles ready to fire in a battery. One missile's proximity sensor detected the aircraft and damaged the F-117. We don't know how many were fired but we know for certain that the missiles were fired based on guesswork and assumptions and not hardcore electronic data.

Anyway, I am only supporting one person's story and I am ready to change my point of view if you are to provide a reasonable explanation for this incident.
Understand, in Yugoslavia of войка NATO bombed a weak, tormented by war army, with an old armament. But they had the very strong armoured units and army air DEFENCE therefore there operated on болших heights or nightly flights and did not decide to enter the troops. Neither chain Kolchuga nor S- 300 nor BUC-M, then nobody it was supplied to.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Damian

Can you explain how SO MANY MERKAVAS were damaged by RPG 29 in Lebanon war 2006

WTF The hezbollah did nt even have ATGMs

And In IRAQ ; IED s destroyed the TRACKS of Abrams rendering them useless

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The best thing is that You don't know how ammunition explosdes in a tank, do You? ;)

It is called deflagration, in fact not projectiles are exploding but projectiles propelant charges start to burn, projectiles themselfs very rarely explodes.

Besides this in M1 Abrams turret bustle there is 44 105mm rounds or 34-36 120mm rounds, so I think that it shows clearly how good is this storage and crew protection system, very simple also.

Not to mention that I said earlier that this ammunition magazines have so called blow off panels, this panels are mounted via bolts, and when pressure from deflagrating ammunition is increasing inside magazine, blow off panels just po out, realising dangerous pressure and flames.

However I completely understand that for a person that's IQ is well below IQ level of a... cow, it is difficult to understand such simple working mechanism. :D

Oh, little stupid form of life is a buthurt that he made from himself idiot? Go away to Your parents and stop wasting time of adult people moron.
Tell this cock and bull story to those who have not seen it happening themselves...

with an explosion, the HE explodes and not burns. If you do not know this much, do not waste others time....

There is something called sympathetic detonation in High explosive. Learn that first...

Damian

This is one of American future tank concepts. As we can see crew sits in completely isolated compartment, with very strong frontal, side and top protection. Ammunition is stored in autoloader under unmanned turret. So crew is not only protected by a very thick armor, but also very well protected from eventuall ammunition cook off stored inside a tank.

This is a basic concept design of all future tanks, and this is how, most probably future tank will look like.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
You way out of date,, now days tanks dont run over mines,,,, The USA has systems it can place with in few hundred yards of where a tank might travel, it is programed to recognise the differance between vehicles and shoots a version of this system that will come down on the top of a tank. futuire weapons-shaped charges - YouTube. Then there are smart shells. SMArt 155 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you really want to be in a tank in the next war?
I in general do not want to see war. Enough me! It is simply necessary to understand that tanks will nowhere disappear and it is necessary explore their tactic/pl and methods of counteraction.

EzioAltaïr

Tell this cock and bull story to those who have not seen it happening themselves...

with an explosion, the HE explodes and not burns. If you do not know this much, do not waste others time....

There is something called sympathetic detonation in High explosive. Learn that first...
As seen from your posts on other forums, you have a phobia of indian stuff, but look at Damian's last post, USA is designing a new tank. Considering the abundant trust you have in foreigners, I guess you can fairly assume, the tank is not obsolete.

Damian

Damian

Merkava tanks have engine at front, this makes immposible to install thick composite armor at hull frontal surface, making vehicle very vurnable. ALso Merkava do not have safe ammunition storage like M1 series. As for IED's, big enough IED will destroy anything, it is not dedicated anti tank weapon, just a pile of explosives placed somewhere. You can in the same as a question why MRAP's are needed if they also can be destroyed and their crew killed with big enough IED.

I seen much more cook off of ammunition inside tanks than You, such things don't happen. If a turret pop outs in case of T-72's, this is not due to any explosion but increase in pressure of burning propelant charges. In fact eventuall explosions of projectiles are minor problem, if they occure, and this is a real rarity.

but look at Damian's last post, USA is designing a new tank.
It is not a project of a new tank, but just a concept how new tank can look like, it was done in 1990's I think, there were 3 more concepts for future tank made by DARPA.

militarysta

Damian

Hej men - . I wrote here a lot about Lebanon and Mekravas.
Don't wrote bullshit in this thema.

Mark IV losses:

1. 24th july - one Mk.IV hit by heavy ATGM (ner Bin Jubalij) TK- KIA, two - WIA
2. the same - one Mk.IV on BIG IED one KIA 6 WIA
0. 3th August - TK KIA (after big ATGM hit in turret, no perforation, TK died after hit by splinter) Tank wasn't destoyed or damege.
3. 2th August - Wada Saluki battle. For 24 Merkava Mk.IV 11 tanks were hit. In one tank TK was KIA, in second -ammo hull blow out all crew KIA, in third (Kornets and RPG-29) all crew KIA,

For all 18 hist Merkava Mk.IV only in 6 tank was perforated armour!
Only two Merkava Mk.IV was "tottal loss".

Mark II losses:

1. 12 july (near Lebanon border) big IED - all crew KIA
2. 9 august - big ATGM, amoo blow out - all crew KIA
3. 8 Augst - ATGM 2 KIA in tank

Mark III losses:

1. 12th august (near Atiri) propably ATGM - ammo blow out - all crew KIA
2. 3th August ATGM - 3KIA
3. about 10th August (near Al-Chijam) ATGM - one KIA (driver)
4. 13 August (near Kfar Kila) -?? - one KIA

So, "only" about 20-22 tanks was damege, But heavy damage was less then 10 tanks.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I seen much more cook off of ammunition inside tanks than You, such things don't happen. If a turret pop outs in case of T-72's, this is not due to any explosion but increase in pressure of burning propelant charges. In fact eventuall explosions of projectiles are minor problem, if they occure, and this is a real rarity.
No one is talking of cook off. You are a theoretician at best. Cook of is premature burning of explosive or propellent due to barrel heat.

But have you seen 100 kg of IED exploding under a tank and 40 rounds inside the tank exploding simultaneously ripping off the turret and throwing it off by 100 meters....

How can there be a trace of glorious tank men.....

Most of the time you talk theory only.... cook off ...

militarysta

Well -it's seems that You pretend to be "bullshit generator" on DFI...

[

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles