Is the LCH a true attack helicopter or is RUDRA better?

drkrn

LCH do have "armour protection" but its not like 'totally' armored that's because to keep it "light-weight" neither they added any extra weapons for the same 'weight' issue but the less weight doesn't improves LCH performance much beyond RUDRA.
however it have stealth "profiling" but it is not a 'stealth fighter'.
This is my point exactly LCH supposed to be attack helicopter but it's neither properly armored nor heavily armed any more than RUDRA and it's as same as RUDRA in maaneuverability.
looking at the aerodynamics i fell to contradict your view regarding maneuverability

happy

@pmaitra, @Decklander, @Kunal Biswas, @Ray, @p2prada, @sayareakd, @abingdonboy, @W.G.Ewald, @hello_10, @drkrn

Anybody, can you give some kind of logical explanation for my above post #16 which I will repeat once again

why a heli(Rudra) meant for supportive roles is packing such a lethal punch ???

Wouldn't it be sufficient if we just had defensive equipment instead of offensive ones on the Rudra ??

By that way, can it carry more luggage / persons ????
Also, I would like to add, why are we using the same engine in both of them?

An engine which provides excellent performance for a support heli may not necessarily give the same excellent performance in the high adrenaline attack roles. Dont you agree??

Last edited by a moderator:

ninja85

looking at the aerodynamics i fell to contradict your view regarding maneuverability
well the aerodynamics is LCH advantage. LCH is more maneuverable that's fine but that is only one other factors such as it's speed,range,rate of climb are nearly the same performance as RUDRA, 'the engine is same in both'.

drkrn

@pmaitra, @Decklander, @Kunal Biswas, @Ray, @p2prada, @sayareakd, @abingdonboy, @W.G.Ewald, @hello_10, @drkrn

Anybody, can you give some kind of logical explanation for my above post #16 which I will repeat once again

Also, I would like to add, why are we using the same engine in both of them?

An engine which provides excellent performance for a support heli may not necessarily give the same excellent performance in the high adrenaline attack roles. Dont you agree??
indians in specific have the attitude of making multi purpose vehicles-all in ones.
seems rudra is specifically a unexpected outstanding product of such works.

even when both use the same engine,the tuning and small changes do make some difference.lch is designed only as an attack platform,still needs to mature,has a lot of potential for upgrades.
do not know much about rudra

Last edited by a moderator:

jmj_overlord

rudra is just a gunship like harbin z 19 or like the armed variants of blackhawks right ? was it meant to be like mi 24, like with low troop capacity ?

happy

indians in specific have the attitude of making multi purpose vehicles-all in ones.
seems rudra is specifically a unexpected outstanding product of such works.

even when both use the same engine,the tuning and small changes do make some difference.lch is designed only as an attack platform,still needs to mature,has a lot of potential for upgrades.
do not know much about rudra
the multi purpose tag does hold true :)

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Biggest point is that it is a LIGHT Combat Helicopter. Don't expect firepower or armour of a medium or heavy Attack hopter.

Also,
Role of LCH is that of a Gunship.
Role of Rudra is fire support during infil/exfil.

LCH is meant for high altitude warfare, which Rudra is not.

SilentKiller

Country flag
I believe the comparison here b/w Rudra and LCH is wrong.
Reason:
One is dedicated Attack helicopter, lighter and more agile that is LCH, if u go buy figure mentioned above you r wrong, LCH is faster and agile as its designed to attack and manover faster. Rudra is of different league, its for more of an close infantry support role or to be precise direct fire support role.
Providing cover to say air assault on a hill top with other Dhruvs and MI-17V's transporting troops and Rudra providing cover file and other such roles. same role of Bell OH-58 Kiowa.
LCH on other is Light Attack Helicopter, work in tendon with Armor and mechanized corps. Call for fire support or Tank burst role etc.
Both have their uses, both are needed, Rudra can any day carry 5-6 troops or less with it (one might say 12-14 but its wrong, equipment placed in Rudra takes up a lot of cabin space) but LCH can carry 0.

Decklander

Rudra is a swingrole stop gap arrangement like Mi-17s with rocket pods. For Rudra, strike is secondary role. LCH is a dedicated strike platform built for a specific role to act as flying tank in support of Armour and infantry.
Having commonality of systems and engines helps reduce logistics, training time & helps the systems mature much faster as they login flight hours. From the lessons learnt, more advanced and better systems with higher power can evolve easily.

ninja85

Biggest point is that it is a LIGHT Combat Helicopter. Don't expect firepower or armour of a medium or heavy Attack hopter.

Also,
Role of LCH is that of a Gunship.
Role of Rudra is fire support during infil/exfil.

LCH is meant for high altitude warfare, which Rudra is not.
Point is not about "light weight".
It's this,
Role of LCH is gunship.
but RUDRA can do both infil/exfil and gunship.
There isn't much any difference between service celling of both of these.

datguy79

Question to members from a neutral point of view:

If there is a conventional war with Pak/China, would you entrust the LCH/Rudra directly into the battlefield or will you wait till air superiority is established? In my own view, I think attack helis are great as force multipliers against terrorists, but I don't see them being extensively used against enemies with advanced SAM/air force capabilities.

ninja85

I believe the comparison here b/w Rudra and LCH is wrong.
Reason:
One is dedicated Attack helicopter, lighter and more agile that is LCH, if u go buy figure mentioned above you r wrong, LCH is faster and agile as its designed to attack and manover faster. Rudra is of different league, its for more of an close infantry support role or to be precise direct fire support role.
Providing cover to say air assault on a hill top with other Dhruvs and MI-17V's transporting troops and Rudra providing cover file and other such roles. same role of Bell OH-58 Kiowa.
LCH on other is Light Attack Helicopter, work in tendon with Armor and mechanized corps. Call for fire support or Tank burst role etc.
Both have their uses, both are needed, Rudra can any day carry 5-6 troops or less with it (one might say 12-14 but its wrong, equipment placed in Rudra takes up a lot of cabin space) but LCH can carry 0.
Just by calling it 'dedicated attack helicopter' doesn't gives LCH more firepower than RUDRA.
RUDRA can do both roles attack and/or it can carry troops.
LCH could be more maneuverable but in other areas almost the same as RUDRA. It doesn't even have any radars or so then what makes it any better than RUDRA.

Decklander

Just by calling it 'dedicated attack helicopter' doesn't gives LCH more firepower than RUDRA.
LCH could be more maneuverable but in other areas almost the same as RUDRA. It doesn't even have any radars or so then what makes it any better than RUDRA.
Rudra does not have armour protection to withstand hits which LCH has, so survivability in a role is also important while deciding the effectiveness of a platform.

ninja85

Rudra does not have armour protection to withstand hits which LCH has, so survivability in a role is also important while deciding the effectiveness of a platform.
How many missile or rockets hits LCH armour can take ?

SilentKiller

Country flag
Both meant for different roles...hope what sayareakd explained, u understood.

p2prada

LCH's main qualities will be in aerodynamics. Second would be pilot training.

LCH has a smaller cross section which means lesser drag. Apart from that it will have a lower RCS. The low altitude flying capabilities will be much greater. That's why specs aren't everything. LCH's overall agility will be superior to Rudra. Apart from that LCH has the better armour and is more survivable.

As for pilot training, Rudra pilots are not trained for the entire gamut of capabilities that LCH can offer. It is a support helicopter so the pilots will be trained in support duties including transporting troops and civilians and other non-combat duties like recce. LCH pilots will only be trained to find their enemies and kill 'em.

Dinesh_Kumar

Seeing following similarities for 2 different helos:

> Almost same Rotor Dia

> Almost Same all up wt.

> Almost same specs and performance

Looks like HAL have some way to go before mastering Main Gear Box Tech, thats why played safe by keeping specs the same.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
As per this Static Display during Aero India 2013 LCH armour can withstand 12.7 mm bullet

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles