Is the Koran a copy of the Old Testament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.A.T.A

The stories,events ,incidents and philosophies contained in the Koran,the Christian Gospels and the Hebrew bible is a product of an intercourse of civilizations and belief system whose origins should be traced back even further than the Hebrew Bible,into the misty beginnings of civilization in Mesopotamia. While the Hebrew Bible contained many of the original inspiration for the Gospels and the Koran, the Hebrew Bible itself may have been inspired by long lost lores from Sumeria,Akkad and Assyria.

For instance the story of Noah and Ark,one of the quintessential stories from the Hebrew Bible,is eerily similar in its plaintive narrative of the deluge, the savior ark with certain prescribed dimension,to the story of Uta-napishtim as narrated in the Epic of Gilgamesh. The epic of Gilgamesh even in its attested form predated the Hebrew Bible by more than a millenia, The traditions itself might be significantly older.There are several other instances of similar cultural borrowings.

The Hebrews, the early Christians and the Arabian tribal culture that gave birth to Islam, all were part of the extended Semitic culture deeply enmeshed in the tapestry of the cultural remnants of the successive civilizations that rose on the plains of ancient Mesopotamia.

KS

Bye bye DFI
For instance the story of Noah and Ark,one of the quintessential stories from the Hebrew Bible,is eerily similar in its plaintive narrative of the deluge, the savior ark with certain prescribed dimension,to the story of Uta-napishtim as narrated in the Epic of Gilgamesh. The epic of Gilgamesh even in its attested form predated the Hebrew Bible by more than a millenia, The traditions itself might be significantly older.There are several other instances of similar cultural borrowings.
Not to mention the Pralaya and Manu ;)

arshi

Prophet Mohammed was illiterate is the most fallicious statement propagated about him. That is also true for Muslims who accept this.

Which was the first revelation? Ikra bismi.

The first revelation was the first five verses of Surah (chapter) Al-Alaq: "Iqra bismi rabbikalla dhi khalaq. Khalaqal insana min alaq. Iqra wa rabbukal akram. Alladhi 'allama bil qalam. 'Allamal insana malam ya'lam, " which means "Read in the name of your Lord who created, created man from a clot. Read, for your Lord is most Generous, Who teaches by means of the pen, teaches man what he does not know." (96: 1-5)

If Mohammed (pbuh) was illiterate, how did the very first word that God revealed to Him was "Ikra" which means read!!

The very first revelation proves the Prophet was NOT illiterate.

illiterate here means - the Prophet(P) didnt know how to read and write, and hence
he(P) did not copy the Qur'an from the previous Scriptures (the Torah and the Injil)

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
illiterate here means - the Prophet(P) didnt know how to read and write, and hence
he(P) did not copy the Qur'an from the previous Scriptures (the Torah and the Injil)
Regardless, he was not illeterate. Copy no copy. God would not have asked the Prophet to "Read"if he was illeterate.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Most Islamic scholars will agree that there are many other books that could be revealed and hence some have agreed that the Vedas could be revealed books to a prophet at that time. Some have indicated that the Buddha or Ram could have been prophets of their time as well. As early as the 11th century when Al Biruni came to India and pioneered the study of comparitive religion, he mentions how Zorastrians and Hindus being the holders of a revealed book are entitled to the people of the book status and saw a strong strain of monotheism in their holy books. Dara Shikoh in his book Majmaul-Bahrain would reiterate the same idea around 500 years later.
This statement has just confirmed my cynicism

The Prophet business stops at Abrahamic religions since they have a common origin. Please don't extend it to other religions. Hinduism has monotheistic, polytheistic, agnostic and atheistic strains

The example of Buddhism is especially funny, since Buddhism is atheistic, there is no god/allah/bhagwan in it. Also, going by this logic, Sikhism would not be a "revealed" religion.

In the Quran, out of the 6000+ verses, the word Jihad comes in around 35 verses and that too in the context of "struggling" or "striving" or the "greater Jihad". In only 5 verses the word Qital or "fighting" or "killing" is used. Interestingly the word Jihad and Qital never come together in the Quran.
Still, militarized Jihad is not a new phenomenon, its was even used in inter sect wars eg: Ottomans declared it against the Safavids

Last edited:

arshi

Regardless, he was not illeterate. Copy no copy. God would not have asked the Prophet to "Read"if he was illeterate.

He(p) was not asked to read on his on but he recite the surah after Jibraaiyl recite it verse by verse,according to Sahih al Bukhari Hadith.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
He(p) was not asked to read on his on but he recite the surah after Jibraaiyl recite it verse by verse,according to Sahih al Bukhari Hadith.
Your interpretation. I go by simple logic. The Revelations are Gods message to the Prophet. God said Read, as He started the revelations.

I am no expert, but I trust the one who enlighted me on this.

Galaxy

Country flag
These days, Jihad word is used very frequently by majority of Muslims. Jihad against Non-Muslims people and country. I don't know what's problem with such Islamist ?? Why they are always anti Non-Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Christians ?? Does Korans says that ? I have started believing it actually. Few people can be wrong sometime but not so many people all the time.

Whenever Muslims population reaches 20%, they ask for separate nation and Insurgency starts. They also ask Sharia law and blasphemy when reaches 40%+. It happened in many countries. Today, Palestine to Xinjiang, Kashmir to Kurdistan, chechnya to African countries - All are due to Muslims separatist movement. Whenever they reach 80%, Non-Muslim population starts to decline and at end vanishes like they never existed in such countries. Statistics says so. Check the Muslim countries population of Today and 50-100 years back in 50 odd countries.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Give me a research link which says majority Muslims talk about jihad and that too in the sense you mean.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Give me a research link which says majority Muslims talk about jihad and that too in the sense you mean.
There is no need for statistics here. When person makes up his mind then there's no turning back. pathar ki lakeer!

Only extremist voice is listened to and branded for all.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would not say that it is the fault of the extremists alone where an impression is being given that Jihad, as is exhibited by the extremist is the sole Jihad.

It is time that the real peaceful Muslims kick the extremist in the teeth and run a campaign against them.

Sadly, the Mullahs are contributing to the wrong impression that is seizing the world. Instead of condemning these extremists and their acts, they either remain silent or eulogise them.

The Mullahs of Pakistan, the womb of terrorism, are the biggest culprits.

The problem in any religion is when the temporal overhauls the spiritual!

Or when a religion is gripped with self pity and wallow on the glories of the past.

The spiritual Islam is totally different from the temporal (political) Islam!

Islam has much to show to other religions, but the extremists have ruined the display!

KS

Bye bye DFI
The Mullahs of Pakistan, the womb of terrorism, are the biggest culprits.

The problem in any religion is when the temporal overhauls the spiritual!
Dont blame Pakistan alone here. They are just the recent culprits, not the first.

Islam at times resembles a rather sucessful Arab imperialist policy rather than a religion when we see the other folks mind-worshipping the Arabs just because Muhammed was an Arab.

KS

Bye bye DFI
This statement has just confirmed my cynicism

The Prophet business stops at Abrahamic religions since they have a common origin. Please don't extend it to other religions. Hinduism has monotheistic, polytheistic, agnostic and atheistic strains

The example of Buddhism is especially funny, since Buddhism is atheistic, there is no god/allah/bhagwan in it. Also, going by this logic, Sikhism would not be a "revealed" religion.
All the 'comparitive study' of Quran and Gita inadvertently ends in in such thought.

Raja.pakistani

Tihar Jail
Banned
These days, Jihad word is used very frequently by majority of Muslims. Jihad against Non-Muslims people and country. I don't know what's problem with such Islamist ?? Why they are always anti Non-Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Christians ?? Does Korans says that ? I have started believing it actually. Few people can be wrong sometime but not so many people all the time.

Whenever Muslims population reaches 20%, they ask for separate nation and Insurgency starts. They also ask Sharia law and blasphemy when reaches 40%+. It happened in many countries. Today, Palestine to Xinjiang, Kashmir to Kurdistan, chechnya to African countries - All are due to Muslims separatist movement. Whenever they reach 80%, Non-Muslim population starts to decline and at end vanishes like they never existed in such countries. Statistics says so. Check the Muslim countries population of Today and 50-100 years back in 50 odd countries.
You are just perfect example of Islamophobia as you claim that majority of Muslims declare Jihad against non muslims lol First of all these peoples are not majority but they are in tiny minority as compare to peace loving muslims all over the world.When someone mention word "Islam" or "Muslims ", peoples like Galaxy always brings a scary picture to mind - one of suicide bombers, sword wielding slayers, oppressed women and intellectual backwardness. It is a sad fact that, since 9/11 the Western world also has increasingly been prone to this phenomenon, despite housing a notable, peace observing Muslim immigrant population since decades.

Islamophobia is on the rise since 9/11, 7/7 and other violence-related incidents. The worlds power hungry, selfish elements are using the placard of "Islamic terrorism" to commit heinous acts of terror on a mass scale in order to achieve personal motives. The media is a handy tool for such individuals and organizations which promptly use it to pin the blame for such acts on Islam and its followers. Militancy has always existed in history but today, the word "militant" is synonymous with "Muslim" only.
We all are users of, and to a certain extent, victims of brainwashing by, electronic and print media. Sensationalistic news can not only be used to promote a certain mindset, it can also be used to keep entire nations millions of people thinking a certain thought, or believing a certain mis-report.This is not to say that Muslims are not fallible; nay, they have their share of crimes and misdemeanors. It is their religion, Islam, however, which is grossly misunderstood of late.

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
You are just perfect example of Islamophobia as you claim that majority of Muslims declare Jihad against non muslims lol First of all these peoples are not majority but they are in tiny minority as compare to peace loving muslims all over the world.When someone mention word "Islam" or "Muslims ", peoples like Galaxy always brings a scary picture to mind - one of suicide bombers, sword wielding slayers, oppressed women and intellectual backwardness. It is a sad fact that, since 9/11 the Western world also has increasingly been prone to this phenomenon, despite housing a notable, peace observing Muslim immigrant population since decades.

Islamophobia is on the rise since 9/11, 7/7 and other violence-related incidents. The worlds power hungry, selfish elements are using the placard of "Islamic terrorism" to commit heinous acts of terror on a mass scale in order to achieve personal motives. The media is a handy tool for such individuals and organizations which promptly use it to pin the blame for such acts on Islam and its followers. Militancy has always existed in history but today, the word "militant" is synonymous with "Muslim" only.
We all are users of, and to a certain extent, victims of brainwashing by, electronic and print media. Sensationalistic news can not only be used to promote a certain mindset, it can also be used to keep entire nations millions of people thinking a certain thought, or believing a certain mis-report.This is not to say that Muslims are not fallible; nay, they have their share of crimes and misdemeanors. It is their religion, Islam, however, which is grossly misunderstood of late.
What has to be said must be said Islam is a cult crated by very dangerous man

Raja.pakistani

Tihar Jail
Banned
What has to be said must be said Islam is a cult crated by very dangerous man
"...if you believe in it, it is a religion or perhaps 'the' religion; and if you do not care one way or another about it, it is a sect;but if you fear and hate it, it is a cult." Leo Pfeffer.

A humorous quotation, but one that is uncomfortably close to reality.

HeinzGud

Country flag
"...if you believe in it, it is a religion or perhaps 'the' religion; and if you do not care one way or another about it, it is a sect;but if you fear and hate it, it is a cult." Leo Pfeffer.

A humorous quotation, but one that is uncomfortably close to reality.
There's nothing in Qur'an that makes it a religious book! At one time it says to do good and the next time you can find things that says to do killings and bad things! Do Muslims have 2 mind sets??

Raja.pakistani

Tihar Jail
Banned
There's nothing in Qur'an that makes it a religious book! At one time it says to do good and the next time you can find things that says to do killings and bad things! Do Muslims have 2 mind sets??
Dont try to be expert of Quran when you dont even know the basic of Islam. Its funny when you peoples teach us Quran by quoting verses out of context to make it religion of terrorism/violence Quran dont say go for killing and do bad things lol . Jihad or fighting is only allowed against oppression and violation of your basic rights. Were not sri lankan did jihad against tamil tigers?

HeinzGud

Country flag
Dont try to be expert of Quran when you dont even know the basic of Islam. Its funny when you peoples teach us Quran by quoting verses out of context to make it religion of terrorism/violence Quran dont say go for killing and do bad things lol . Jihad or fighting is only allowed against oppression and violation of your basic rights. Were not sri lankan did jihad against tamil tigers?
It's not me who knows nothing about Quran It's you my friend If you read it you'll surely be a apostate of Islam.... Well we don't kill people for a religion! It was a political matter which got out of control!

Raja.pakistani

Tihar Jail
Banned
It's not me who knows nothing about Quran It's you my friend If you read it you'll surely be a apostate of Islam.... Well we don't kill people for a religion! It was a political matter which got out of control!
Its hilarious comment. Thanks for joke of the day and for your kind information i read it very frequently with its proper historical context and trust me my belief is getting firm and stronger than ever. I will surely become apostate of Islam if i start reading it with eyes of haters or those who are non Muslim but claim to be expert of Islam :D

Yes it was a political matter and Pakistan also helped sri lankan in their fight against Tamil but religion can also be used as a political force for political gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles