Is the Destroyer becoming obsolete?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Destroyers wont become obsolete any time soon. It needs to be there for Air defence and ASW in a carrier battle group.

Why? Because the USN thinks so and they are usually right:troll:

Country flag
I will say yes to an extent but destroyers can play a bigger role than the carriers
Where too many assets in one place.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Is the Destroyer becoming obsolete?
As obsolete as me on the SB...:scared2:

Why would destroyers be obsolete when the UK, US and many nations are in the process of building them?

If this was chess then the Carrier is King the N-Sub is queen and the Destroyer is the Bishop. :D

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I will say yes to an extent simply because too many assets in one place.
If that is so then what is the carrier? They have like 75 expensive fighter jets.

The point is as a Carrier group they are invincible.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
As obsolete as me on the SB...:scared2:

Why would destroyers be obsolete when the UK, US and many nations are in the process of building them?

If this was chess then the Carrier is King the N-Sub is queen and the Destroyer is the Bishop. :D
Actually destroyer is the Knight, which is needed for defence. The Subs are the Bishops:D

Country flag
If that is so then what is the carrier? They have like 75 expensive fighter jets.

The point is as a Carrier group they are invincible.
Carriers also need a lot of support and layers of defense using much more resources.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
I say IN should build more Destroyers than Frigates or NO Frigates only Destroyers ...

Kolkata Class (Project 15-B) can carry 8 Nirbhay for Land Attack .. 8 Brahmos for Anti-Ship ... Barak-NG for Anti-Aircraft ... and BEL HUMSA-NG sonar for Anti-Sub warfare along with 2 anti-sub warfare Helis ... and it's worth every Penny .. ;)

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Carriers also need a lot of support and layers of defense using much more resources.
A carrier battle group is the most lethal force on the Ocean.

Even a smaller carrier group like the Vikramaditya would be pretty formidable for a nation which has none.

1 Carrier followed by 2 Destroyers, 2 Nuke Subs and 2 Corvettes and 2 Missile boats is a battle group i think?

Country flag

Even a smaller carrier group like the Vikramaditya would be pretty formidable for a nation which has none.

1 Carrier followed by 2 Destroyers, 2 Nuke Subs and 2 Corvettes and 2 Missile boats is a battle group i think?
I agree force projection by carriers is unmatched.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Actually destroyer is the Knight, which is needed for defence. The Subs are the Bishops:D
The Nite is not more powerful that the Bishop!! The Nite has no long reach only deception.

The Carrier may be the Queen and the N-Sub the Rook. :D

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Knight isn't a defensive piece.
:hmm: i thought Its an excellent defence against a queen . Thats what i meant ;). Any way the point is, destroyers are needed for a lot of things, from ASW to Air Defence, specially for CBG. The ships which can be used for that purpose like Frigates and corvetes are limited by range.

These frigates and corvetes can be used for maritime defence and the destroyers for CBG:thumb:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

Mate i thought, corvetes and misslile boats are limited in range

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I say IN should build more Destroyers than Frigates or NO Frigates only Destroyers ...

Kolkata Class (Project 15-B) can carry 8 Nirbhay for Land Attack .. 8 Brahmos for Anti-Ship ... Barak-NG for Anti-Aircraft ... and BEL HUMSA-NG sonar for Anti-Sub warfare along with 2 anti-sub warfare Helis ... and it's worth every Penny .. ;)
The planners have their own idea, we cant afford only Destroyers. When you play chess you will understand what coins to give up and what to keep.

In such a game the Admirals would need smaller pawns to give up and save the larger Destroyers and Carriers.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The Nite is not more powerful that the Bishop!! The Nite has no long reach only deception.

The Carrier may be the Queen and the N-Sub the Rook. :D
Carrier is a queen , N- subs are rooks(both for offence), Destroyers for defence- Bishops and Knights, depending on the role:notsure:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The planners have their own idea, we cant afford only Destroyers. When you play chess you will understand what coins to give up and what to keep.

In such a game the Admirals would need smaller pawns to give up and save the larger Destroyers and Carriers.
Exactly why we need Frigates and corvetes too and not just all destroyers.

For some battles, Destroyers would be too heavy and too over power to make them a very risky option for the operation.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
:hmm: i thought Its an excellent defence against a queen . Thats what i meant ;). Any way the point is, destroyers are needed for a lot of things, from ASW to Air Defence, specially for CBG. The ships which can be used for that purpose like Frigates and corvetes are limited by range.

These frigates and corvetes can be used for maritime defence and the destroyers for CBG:thumb:
I should have said Guided missile cruiser, that is however comparable to our Frigates. IN does have Guided missile cruisers like in US carrier groups.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Carrier is a queen , N- subs are rooks(both for offence), Destroyers for defence- Bishops and Knights, depending on the role:notsure:

Do you play chess? I think Chess is still relevant in sharpening the skill set.

Destroyers are Bishop, it is to expensive to be treated as an Pawn. For that we need Frigates and Missile boats for distracting the enemy and give them up in case of attack to save these assets.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles