Is Salwar Kameez a Muslim dress ?

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by chase, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chase

chase Tihar Jail Banned

Salwar Kameez is today seen as a traditional Indian dress by many Indians. It is generally associated with modesty as it covers the body.
    But could it be that this dress is or is inspired by Muslim culture which came to India during the Islamic rule.
    Islamic values insist on covering the skin.Salwar Kameez in that sense has a very 'islamic aesthetic' because it looks like that the whole dress is designed to perform this task(to cover the body).

Is it possible that because of the strong influence of Islam during the Islamic rule these Islamic values and culture were downloaded by Indians so much so that the Indian society still follow these morals?

I am asking this question because in traditional Indian aesthetics there is no emphasis on covering the body to protect 'modesty' as it is today.

In ancient India women usually wore the 'antraiya' in the lower part of the body and the 'uttariya' in the upper part.(The pic below of Kareena from the movie 'asoka' set during the Mauryan period shows the traditional dress of women at that time.)

Clearly these dresses goes against modern Indian conservative ideas of 'modesty'.

[​IMG]

[Very interesting i sourced it from someone else]

Mad Indian and Yusuf like this.
  3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Very interesting. Never thought about this. By the same logic, what about the Sari?

How and when did the Sari arrive and since when did Indian women start to cover themselves up?

4. chase

chase Tihar Jail Banned

Yes perhaps the modern Sari doesn't exactly resemble the ancient ones.But still Sari is quite 'open' in comparison to Salwar Kameez.

And try to understand the essence of the question.Isn't it true that invaders were quite fanatic so there must have been heavy influences with them.Somtimes forced but mostly because muslims at that times were 'elites' and the common masses started to copy their dress sense .
    Slowly slowly the islamic mores of covering the body to 'protect modesty' entered the Indian mind.Today indians are even wary of nude painting but history tells us that art was respected in ancient india and nudity was associated with 'purity'.How so different from today!

I am very objective about this matter and we should do a comparative analysis of various influences which has affected the indian sensibility of spirituality,aesthetics etc.This work should be done by scholars in scholarly style but sadly these things don't happen in India.I have no hatred against anyone.I am ready to evaluate the advantages or disadvantages of such influences.

P.S
    There was also a thread recently on Rajiv Malhotra Yahoo Group which sparked my interest

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Das ka das and Yusuf like this.
  5. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

It was an Iranian dress. Both words are persian. But the way it has been transformed, it is now far from Irani or muslim. This, along with sari, is the only pan Indian female dress.

Snuggy321 likes this.
  6. Rahul92

Rahul92 Senior Member Senior Member

Can anyone tell me what Arabic women wear under Burkha

7. Victor Sierra

Victor Sierra Regular Member

Obviously a Salwar Kamiz.... AFAIK

8. Sukerchakia

Sukerchakia Regular Member

Dresses like the Salwaar Kameez are said to be worn by many of the Persian and Central Asian communities since ancient times. Both men and women for that matter. So it way not be really related to Islam and it could have arrived with many other groups arriving from the North West.

9. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

I have never seen any Persians wearing a salwar kamez. This is a distinctly Indian dress which developed in the Subcontinent itself, though not without some foreign influences.

10. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

In Dubai they wear designer clothes under their burkha.

Very silly that such beautiful clothes are hidden under the burkha.

How do I know what they wear?

Watch them buying the designer clothes and if you see below the hem of the burkha, you can make out the expensiveness of what they are wearing, to including fancy high heel shoes!

11. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

The pants, or salvar, are known as salvar in Punjabi: ਸਲਵਾਰ ਕ਼ਮੀਜ਼, salvaar or shalvaar શલવાર કમીઝ in Gujarati, salvaar or shalvar शलवार क़मीज़ in Hindi, and shalvar in Urdu: شلوار قمیض. The word comes from the Persian: شلوار, meaning pants.

The shirt, kameez or qamiz, takes its name from the Arabic qamis. There are two main hypotheses regarding the origin of the Arabic word, namely:
    that Arabic qamis is derived from the Latin camisia (shirt), which in its turn comes from the Proto-Indo-European kem (‘cloak’).
    that Mediaeval Latin camisia is a borrowing through Hellenistic Greek kamision from the Central Semitic root “qmṣ”, represented by Ugaritic qmṣ (‘garment’) and Arabic qamīṣ (‘shirt’). Both of these are related to the Hebrew verb קמץ qmṣ (‘grip’, ‘enclose with one’s hand’)

Garments cut like the traditional kameez are known in many cultures; according to Dorothy Burnham, of the Royal Ontario Museum, the "seamless shirt," woven in one piece on warp-weighted looms, was superseded in early Roman times by cloth woven on vertical looms and carefully pieced so as not to waste any cloth. 10th century cotton shirts recovered from the Egyptian desert are cut much like the traditional kameez or the contemporary Egyptian jellabah or galabia

References:

Online Etymology Dictionary: chemise Online Etymology Dictionary
    The American Heritage Dictionary: qmá¹£ Bartleby.com: Great Books Online -- Quotes, Poems, Novels, Classics and hundreds more
    Burnham, Dorothy. 1973. Cut My Cote, Royal Ontario Museum. p. 10.
    Wiki Shalwar kameez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wiki

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    pmaitra likes this.
  12. Sukerchakia

Sukerchakia Regular Member

1. I didnt say Modern Persians. Afghans and Balochi men still wear a similar loose fitting garment, which is more closer to our Kurta Pyjama but they refer to it as Shalwar Qameez.

2. Nothing distinct about it. Similar dressing styles worn by many people of other nearby nations.

13. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

So is Saree according to Beloved Member ""FARHAAN"":laugh::laugh:

14. sayareakd

sayareakd Moderator Moderator

Muslim i dont know but Salwar kamaeez is Pakistani dress here is proof

[​IMG]

15. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

The only advantage with Salwaar i that when you get a pot belly or your belly size increase you just need to adjust the string and not go in for a new one like in trousers.

16. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

I think Salwar kameez is much modern and could have become famous only after people became slightly affluent and cheap clothing was available.

For a lot of men from early 20th century, Kurta-Dhoti was the norm rather than kurta-pyjama. Similarly for women, predominantly it has been ghagra choli rather than salwar kameez till early 20th century. The benefit of choli n dhoti is the fact that you can double use it as a towel. So, I see the spread of salwar-kameez as traditional dress a last 3-4 decade phenomenon.

17. Rachel_12

Rachel_12 New Member

i dont know but these are ethnic dresses

18. DEJAVU

DEJAVU Regular Member

Please tell me, is shalwar kameez a Pakistani/Muslim dress or not?
    If yes then Does Indians can be declared Muslims/Pakistanis after wearing it?

19. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

topic is about muslims or not ,not about pakistan

20. Tolaha

Tolaha Senior Member Senior Member

Pakistanis, the "Thekedaars" of Islam and Muslims! :heh:

21. happy

happy Senior Member Senior Member

hahaha.........:pound:..........:taunt:.................:toilet:.............:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.