Is Microsoft making a comeback?

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by Sakal Gharelu Ustad, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Illusive likes this.
  3. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

I would say YES!!!!!!!!!!!
    reasons:
    a) Good software design.
    b) New OS Model and new architecture in Win 10 (Software as a service).
    c) Robust Kernel (yes I am a computer nerd)
    d) Less Ego. :lol: (Hi Balmer)
    and finally
    Leadership from a Garu :rofl:

4. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

They also said they would move to Linux kernel in future, when is that happening?

5. Rowdy

DAFAQ........when did that happen?????????
    That will not be windows anymore as linux kernel can be imagined as a set of concentric rings...but windows kernel is like a set of bricks............

6. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

I migrated from Windows to Linux around 8 years ago and never regretted my decision.
    New flavours of Linux/GNU desktop OSes are as good and user friendly as Windows/MAC.

Only segment where Linux lags behind Mac/Windows is availability of Office Productivity Tools. But then, being a developer it hardly if ever mattered to me.

Microsoft's business model may not allow it to move it's OS stack to Linux kernel. Some of the reasons:
    A. Compatibility: Many old software written for Windows platform will become incompatible overnight. Many complex software will have to be re-written due to change in API.
    B. Portability: Application written for Windows will overnight become portable to other Linux-based OSes which might hurt Microsoft's revenue from the OS business.
    C. Brand: Microsoft may think that moving to Linux platform will hurt it's Brand Image and Value.
    D. Posix: Linux is not 100% Posix compliant. BSD and Solaris are better compared to Linux in terms of compliance and robustness. Linux's core strength lies in it's unified base (no forks) and support for more number of architectures.
    E. Licensing: Terms of GPL license are extremely restrictive for a profit making organization like Microsoft.

Microsoft already uses Linux-based machines for hosting many of it's popular services for e.g. Skype.

7. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

I understand your points. But I read somewhere that Microsoft is planning to move to linux based kernel and open its OS for wider set of developers.

8. Illusive

Illusive Senior Member Senior Member

I recently bought a Dell Venue pro 11 tablet which came with windows 8.1 and upgraded it to 10, so far so good. With windows the advantage is that you can run anything, even a android simulator in it:laugh:

9. gpawar

gpawar Regular Member

Another thing is Microsoft development environment and .Net framework which is not platform independent in true sense. They will have to rework entire suite of development tools, SQL server etc that have been developed solely to work on windows OS to facilitate faster project development and ease of use.

Another major component is Directx.. If you are gamer better to use windows than linux. My laptop GPU driver is not supported on Ubuntu. "Linus torvalds" supposedly showed middle finger to Nvidia for not supporting drivers with optimus tech on Linux :biggrin2:. So right now it looks unlikely.. will update the thread if I get some insider news on it though..:)

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.
  10. Immanuel

Immanuel Senior Member Senior Member

Been using Win 10 and must say, its pretty cool, finally Windows as it should be. The New Surface Pro eats the Apple products. Been using a Lumia 925 for some times now, cool phone. The New 950/950XL are pretty cool. Yes with integrated apps, Windows 10 is now the easiest platform to develop new apps.

11. Rowdy

That MS linux is a custom linux for in House non mainstram applications like software to run Networking switches