Is LeT on US' leash?

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by johnee, Mar 29, 2010.

1. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

The above post is from BR. Its a thought provoking and interesting question: what amount of influence does US weild on LeT? We know that Headley worked as double agent for both US and Pakistan. We know that Headley is closely related to Mumbai 26/11. And Mumbai 26/11 was an LeT operation. We know that Pakistan is nothing more than a rentier state of US. We know the enormous influence the US has on Pakistan politics in general. Connect the dots, and what do we get? Can the chief tool of Pakistan army against India(i.e. LeT) be completely out of US' influence?

3. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

I would say usa do exercise considerable amount of influence on L-e-t through pakistan.The way usa do lip service wrt to L-e-t and david headley issue this point becomes more potent. americans and westerners were killed in 26/11 i attack is the reason it received so much attention.otherwise 26/11 news would have got reported in some middle pages of tabloids if only indians were killed.and as the person point out that even after getting banned theses groups can conduct feb 5th rally show usa wink wink attitude/relationship with these groups.USA has recently conducted congressional hearing on L-e-t-----that hearing was just to please india.usa even conducts congressional hearing on pak perfidy but its relation with pak goes deep.

4. johnee

If US has influence on LeT, then how much involved is US in 26/11? I remember viewing a tourist alert given to american citizens travelling in India by US, at that time I did not take it seriously, but then later 26/11 happened. Is it possible that US had the prior knowledge about 26/11 or such an event?

5. johnee

Could US have gained anything by 26/11? We know that our PM ran to the DC for help to control the Pakistanis...could that be considered an indirect leverage?

6. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

cross posting from USA will offer nuke deal to pak thread.This particular para from the news item caught my eyes no draw ur own conclusions.

7. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

It could have been a message -look what we can do if we choose too?? This could be considered direct leverage

8. johnee

Yup, it could be message but would US go to the extent of such a big operation. May be US just looked the other way when the Pakistanis planned it.
    We can arrive at a better guess if we know whether US had any direct gains in relations with India due to 26/11. Did India give in to some US demand immediately after 26/11 in the belief that US would cooperate with us in nailing Pakistanis? Maybe the answer lies in nuclear deal or in Afghanistan...

9. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

I don't think US has any connection with LeT. US has given intelligence to India about an impending attack but our security forces have as usual lapsed. US wouldn't have supported the proscribing of LeT/JuD if it were controlling them. Much of the evidence (satellite phone information) pertaining to 26/11 came out because of US help.

10. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

It seems to be the reverse Johnny with USA giving Pak weapons and aid they are preparing Pak for war and carrying out asymettric war against India.

11. johnee

Yup, I agree. But US role is not completely white, I think its grey area there. Headley was roaming in India for a lot of time after 26/11, US knew he was involved with 26/11, and he was their agent as well. US' role after nabbing Headley also is suspect, not much official info has been coming, only few leaks.

Lastly, DD, consider this: can US realistically be not having any influence over LeT? LeT is the main terror Org(call it an official one) for PA. PA itself depends directly on US. Can US not have any influence over LeT? Seems hard to digest to me...

12. johnee

Yup, may be US fears that the next terror attack will result in Indo-pak war, hence this desperate arming of Pak to save it...

13. Daredevil

Definitely, US behaved in a shady manner wrt Headley. I think, he played both sides - US & LeT/PA. LeT are PA's main terrorist dogs and it will go to any length to protect them. US, due to their compulsion in Afghanistan and in seeking a safe exit is unable to push PA to that extent that it wants. US is biding its time and will give a mighty blow and will punish Pakistan when it exits Afghanistan.

Remember, US is still unable to handle the Afghan taliban puppeteered by Pakistan, then how do you expect they will push for LeT who doesn't concern them directly.

14. johnee

Somehow, its not totally convincing to be these days. I bought this theory before, but it doesnt seem to stick. If thats the case, why does Pak keep running to US for mediation if its not confident that US would side with it?

Also, US keeps funding and arming pakistan beyond any reason(even the afghanistan seems like an excuse). If all these funds and weapons had gone to afghan army, then they would have defeated these talibs long back...

I think US role is more shadier than we generally have come to accept...

15. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    Headley was an intel man that's one point we can be sure of now whether he was a rogue agent of his own choosing or an agent that had specifically been ordered to go rogue remains open to interpretation, now there is one point specifically to consider
    1)how far would an american agent be willing to go on the inside in AQ's network that could help acquire intel on any future attacks on american interests to his employers?
    I believe there is no clear barrier for an agent asked to get info at all costs, any agent that infiltrates an organisation may come across snippets of information that may not directly concern him or his employer but at the same time may be vital for a third party. on such a juncture an agent may choose to put his mission at risk by passing on info or continue the mission at the risk of harm to the third party.

16. johnee

^^BR, good analysis, but Headley is just one data point. Also take into consideration the general US' behaviour even after officially taking Headley into custody. Also, continous and consistent funding and arming of Pakistan regardless of the indian considerations.

17. Daredevil

As I said, for now whatever US doing for Pakistan is to safely exit from Afghanistan. Pakistan sensing this anxiety in US went for scruff of the neck and trying to push US to pressure India to give Kashmir, water etc. Pakistan in essence is seeking parity with India and only US can enable it and Pakistan using the present conundrum to its advantage. India getting sidelined in Afghanistan is a result of such situation.

18. johnee

Ok, so lets assume that US has no other choice but to give in to pakistani demands. If US exits afghanistan, what would US' role be then if its neutral and what would its role be if its not...?

19. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

US is keeping LeT Alive, because its keeping Pakistan alive, giving billions in Aid and arms, even though it can make Pakistan stop the LeT. Why is the US not doing anything credible to stop the LeT? Well maybe to keep India on a leash? Terror always backfires and bites the hand that feeds it!

20. Daredevil

The basic strategy of US for south asia seems to be this

This sums is up the behavior of US so far and may be also in future unless India turns the tables miraculously.

21. Daredevil

Ahmed was US able to make Pakistan stop Afghan Taliban - NO. So, how would you think it will be able to stop LeT.