Is Hindi an imposed language in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
@mendosa @Krusty - look up True Indology's blog for the piece on sheldon pollock (the one before the piece in which he pummels 'alt-news' & gang). there's some good info about linguistics in it (not necessarily related to the subject of this thread). @Razor, you too, check.

am traversing the Khandala-Lonavala ghat right now so signal's weak and holding and typing on my big-ass ph is a little cumbersome. zyaada kaam mat karwaao. pls help yourselves. :D

square

Strategic Issues
Here's a quote from Sushma Swaraj :

@Bhumihar @Hemu Vikram Aditya This sounds like more than just "let's learn as many languages as we can". It sounds like a political statement. Then suddenly other languages will say, "why not us?"

MEA will promote Hindi to whom? a lot of NRIs are non-Hindi speaking. There are more non-Hindi speaking NRIs than Hindi-speaking NRI. Even within India, nearly 60% Indians speak a language other than Hindi. When the government itself makes it a political tool, then they can't complain that other regional languages are upset.

Jalikattu was banned, why didn't the center intervene to restore the primacy of local culture then? Dahi handi and bull racing was banned in Maharashtra, how come the center didn't intervene then? Commies are banning Durga puja in Bengal, how come the center doesn't intervene? and out of the blue they want to restore the primacy of Hindi to preserve local tradition? This was not even mentioned in the manifesto. Have they accomplished all other things in the manifesto? do they have nothing better to do than to restore primacy of Hindi?

The government should be concentrating on wiping out the Lutyen's version of history from school syllabus. This language promotion business is unnecessary provocation with no gains at all.
just one question , how a tamil choose to communicate with a autodriver in mumbai ?
in tamil ?
in english ?
well the autodriver might be from orissa .......

be prectical , just a simple question , leave the politics for the politicians.....

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
What i think is that rajputra is an adivasi (scheduled tribe) , he is truly jealous of other people (esp brahmins , upper castes) so he comes here usually with upper caste IDs and just makes them look bad
well, who's to say?! but i like this idea & ideal of aadivaasi-moose bonhomie & camaraderie. Bheels would be amused & proud of this progressive idea.

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
Commies are banning Durga puja in Bengal, how come the center doesn't intervene?
Durga Puja was not banned that decision was shunned by SC.
The government should be concentrating on wiping out the Lutyen's version of history from school syllabus. This language promotion business is unnecessary provocation with no gains at all.
It is happening in Rj ,MP and would happen in other states as well.
Even within India, nearly 60% Indians speak a language other than Hindi.
Source?
Dahi handi
AFAIK Dahi Handi is not banned.

mendosa

Durga Puja was not banned that decision was shunned by SC.

It is happening in Rj ,MP and would happen in other states as well.

Source?

AFAIK Dahi Handi is not banned.
  • Durga Puja ban was enforced by brute strength. It's got nothing to do with SC orders.
  • Dahi Handi has been capped at 20 feet (only 3 layers) and one cannot give monetary rewards as well.

Untitled.png

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
What i think is that rajputra is an adivasi (scheduled tribe) , he is truly jealous of other people (esp brahmins , upper castes) so he comes here usually with upper caste IDs and just makes them look bad
Shots fired :shock:

Even if you go by his own story, he is from a middle class struggling family which used to be a Rajput but converted to Islam. He probably bleeds tears when he sees a Kafir Dalit drive by in an S Class Mercedes or in a position of power in the government.

Tota urrna bhool gaya par bolna nai bhoola (The parrot forgot how to fly but not how to speak - saying in rural Punjab) :laugh:

Willy2

If Bhojpuri..maithali..Pahiri...awadhi etc are Hindi..then Assamese, Odia also "Bengali "
Hindi is a example of our "occupied" past..a illigal child of Mughal era..and promoted by Britishers and it's bootlicker congress as it's good weapon of continuing North-South debate by strengthening so call north indian unity under hindi clout as Britishers already create institutional value to justify Hindi is different language...
A language who don't have independent literature marely 100 years ago should't be consider as different language..all so call hindi literature actually influence by local dialect ..Unlike other "historical" language of India , hindi don't have the pure/local division which amplified when literature develop in case of every language..

we should use Hindustani instead of hindi..we ignore it's brotherhood with urdu which is almost same language with arabic script...

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
If Bhojpuri..maithali..Pahiri...awadhi etc are Hindi..then Assamese, Odia also "Bengali "
Hindi is a example of our "occupied" past..a illigal child of Mughal era..and promoted by Britishers and it's bootlicker congress as it's good weapon of continuing North-South debate by strengthening so call north indian unity under hindi clout as Britishers already create institutional value to justify Hindi is different language...
A language who don't have independent literature marely 100 years ago should't be consider as different language..all so call hindi literature actually influence by local dialect ..Unlike other "historical" language of India , hindi don't have the pure/local division which amplified when literature develop in case of every language..

we should use Hindustani instead of hindi..we ignore it's brotherhood with urdu which is almost same language with arabic script...
Sanskrit should be our national language.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
I am from Tamil Nadu and I have traveled all over India and Lived in Delhi for a few yeas. I can say without a doubt that without basic knowledge of Hindi, life would be completely impractical in any place north of the deccan. Even when I go to Bangalore, I use Hindi to communicate there with auto drivers and waiters, as it is more widely known there than either English or Tamil. I am proud of Tamil language and culture, and I think we must do a lot to promote it, but every Indian should have at least a basic grasp of Hindi so that he can manage anywhere in the country.

It is impractical to expect most people in TN to speak Hindi fluently, but a beginner level working knowledge of Hindi is realistic and necessary.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
I am from Tamil Nadu and I have traveled all over India and Lived in Delhi for a few yeas. I can say without a doubt that without basic knowledge of Hindi, life would be completely impractical in any place north of the deccan. Even when I go to Bangalore, I use Hindi to communicate there with auto drivers and waiters, as it is more widely known there than either English or Tamil. I am proud of Tamil language and culture, and I think we must do a lot to promote it, but every Indian should have at least a basic grasp of Hindi so that he can manage anywhere in the country.

It is impractical to expect most people in TN to speak Hindi fluently, but a beginner level working knowledge of Hindi is realistic and necessary.
At one point we are proud to be a language of English speakers because we are automatic candidates for BPO outsourcing type jobs. And it does have other advantages too - we can immigrate abroad more easily, we can study Western scientific research etc..

Then we have our regional languages which have their own scripts and are taught as mandatory subjects in schools.

Now people want to make Hindi mandatory.

Frickin hell, so kids need to learn three languages as primary.. Then they should slog for years to get into a good school. We must hate them..

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
How can anyone even ban Durga Puja how is this possible, I have been in Bengal for 15 years and never heard of this.
Can I get link please.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
At one point we are proud to be a language of English speakers because we are automatic candidates for BPO outsourcing type jobs. And it does have other advantages too - we can immigrate abroad more easily, we can study Western scientific research etc..

Then we have our regional languages which have their own scripts and are taught as mandatory subjects in schools.

Now people want to make Hindi mandatory.

Frickin hell, so kids need to learn three languages as primary.. Then they should slog for years to get into a good school. We must hate them..
If you look at people who come from English medium schools from other states, they are generally trilingual. Those from Gujarat can speak Gujarati, Hindi,and English. Those from Maharashtra can speak Marathi, Hindi and English. Those from Punjab can speak Punjabi, Hindi and English. This goes for many other states as well. Then why must the south be an exception? Do we have any less brain cells than North Indians? (I think reverse may be true lol jk).

I am not even suggesting that we in the south should become fluent in Hindi. I am just saying basic practical knowledge of Hindi is required.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
If you look at people who come from English medium schools from other states, they are generally trilingual. Those from Gujarat can speak Gujarati, Hindi,and English. Those from Maharashtra can speak Marathi, Hindi and English. Those from Punjab can speak Punjabi, Hindi and English. This goes for many other states as well. Then why must the south be an exception? Do we have any less brain cells than North Indians? (I think reverse may be true lol jk).

I am not even suggesting that we in the south should become fluent in Hindi. I am just saying basic practical knowledge of Hindi is required.
I'm going to ignore that racist sentence - yes it is racist even though your tried to pass it off as a joke.

Mine was a general rant against the amount of crap kids are forced to learn in school. I would support any change that cuts down the amount of hours children are forced to stay in school and spend time on useless homework.. I'm actually a proponent of home schooling children and the school being a point where kids play and socialize for a couple of hours.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Bruh just learn three languages and put an end to this north south divide.
We studied Bengali for two years class 6 to 8 no big deal it was easy marks for us.
I get it, I'm just very resentful of my Indian education. I feel like it ruined my childhood by making me slog extra hours, filling notebooks with useless homework assignments and tuition/extra classes. I will not inflict that on my kids no matter what the government decides to make mandatory. They can suck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles