Is halal slaughter acceptable ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ashdoc, Sep 11, 2012.

?

Is halal slaughter acceptable

1. Yes.

16.7%
  2. No.

23.3%
  3. Jhatka method is acceptable.

16.7%
  4. Animal slaughter is not acceptable.

26.7%
  5. Every method is acceptable.

16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

Some say that the halal method of killing animals is too painful as the animal writhes in pain before dying .

They prefer the jhatka method in which the animal is killed by one stroke as the animal suffers less .

While muslims are bound by faith to accept only halal food , is food of animal slaughtered by halal method acceptable to nommuslims ??

3. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

Dude, please add one more option......

'Sab kuch chalega'.

4. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

Why not simply be vegies, so that u needn't torment yourself on animals' pains? or ways of killing?

5. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Halal is a preferred method as it drains out blood from the body. Blood contains impurities and germs. Now, if we are to eat meat, we should eat it minus germs, right? Or else, do not eat it. Why feel guilty, while at the same time devouring the meat. This is hypocrisy.

Not as a non-Muslim, but as an educated citizen, this method is perfectly fine. Also, pray tell me how many Hindus run meat shops in India? Jhatka method is followed only during festivals. On normal occasions, everybody buys meat from the corner shop of Abdullah/Salim etc.

Spindrift and ashdoc like this.
  6. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

You are writing from your NE/WB experience I think where all the butchers are Abdullahs and Salims, perhaps from Bangladesh. In N India meat shops are labelled specifically as Jhatka or Halal so Hindus/Sikhs/Muslims can go by their religious strictures.

As for Halal being scientific, this was thought of because in hot climates dead bodies decay faster with blood/fluids still inside so they started to drain the blood from the animal to keep the meat decay free for longer. if you are going to eat the meat soon after the animal is killed it does not matter. Pigs blood is made into sausages and blood puddings are made in Ireland (I think) frm coagulated blood, so animal blood itself is not unhealthy to consume.

Ashdoc can explain better being a doctor and having started the thread and also being an ardent proponent of `Hindus must eat meat...`.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    ashdoc likes this.
  7. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

doesn't matter

The Messiah likes this.
  8. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

Whatever way you cut it. Blood will flow out and blood is anyway gradually out of the picture when you pull the skin out, cut the body into pieces, remove the unwamted (shit, fat etc) parts and wash the meat.
    The pieces that we see right before cooking are without blood, regardless of the way blade was dashed on the animal.

Regards,
    Virendra

KS likes this.
  9. Oracle

Oracle New Member

I meant Bangalore too.

Even goat/lambs meat are made as sausages. The point is when we boil the meat, germs would anyway die. However, to get rid of the germs initially is a far better way.

And frankly speaking, I noticed only Muslim shops when I was living in Noida. Maybe there are shops labelled as Jhatka or Halal, I did not care. I would continue to buy it from Muslim shops.

When the Jhatka method is applied, the animal is shocked and tries full force to retain control over it's body and as such blood flow is less when compared to Halal method.

Having said that, it doesn't matter to me. Meat is meat, I find no pain in the way livestock are killed for consumption. Ghoda ghas se dosti karega, tou khayega kya?

10. chase

chase Tihar Jail Banned

I don't understand the bold part. Why is it better to do a halal when boiling the food is a fool proof method to kill all the germs?
    Halal is painful for the animal and we being humans should consider about the pain suffered by the animal just for our consumption.
    Now no one eat raw meat. Perhaps in Ancient Arabia during Mohammad time there would be people who ate raw food in deserts when they were out on military campaigns . Halal was good for them.
    But in the modern world i don't understand why muslims insist on a barbaric method like hala.

11. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Are you veg or non-veg?

12. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

You're right. But its doesn't matter by the time pieces are ready for cooking after the process.
    Ghoda (horse) can eat only Ghaas (grass). Man is Omnivorous for a purpose. If we have no alternative, killing for meat as a meal makes sense. But not when we "feel like having non-veg today, lets order some.. "

Regards,
    Virendra

parijataka and rock127 like this.
  13. Oracle

Oracle New Member

I know. I never disagreed. What I said was, I would prefer Halal meat - reasons already given, over Jhatka meat. That doesn't mean I do not eat Jhatka meat. In Pujas animals are sacrificed, I eat all.

That phrase was for a purpose. That purpose was in the post. Here, let me quote it in full:
    If you don't want to eat meat, it's your choice. Would I eat meat? For sure, yeah, and it's my choice.

14. peacecracker

peacecracker Regular Member

I voted NO. No HALAL or KOSHER or Jhatka! (NO ritualistic slaughter)
    http://nohalal.epetitions.net/
    Modern Slaughter Houses are the Answer. Stunning the animal to kill is the accepted method.

[video=metacafe;yt-vI4caKlBwzI/cattle_slaughter_line_for_up_to_25_cattle_per_hour/]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-vI4caKlBwzI/cattle_slaughter_line_for_up_to_25_cattle_per_hour/[/video]

15. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

As far as I know beheading through jhatka is the most painless way of death for all animals including humans. But if you are concerned with the sufferings and the pain of the animal then let me tell you another method - tranquilize the animal then apply jhatka :dude:

16. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

The interesting part is that one does not know who is the man who is slaughtering the animal since he gets dressed meat in the market!

So, where is the contention of hallal or jhatka.

It is like going to a fruit or vegetable seller and asking him if the fruit is fresh or the vegetable is good.

Which seller will say - No, it is bad?

Most meat sellers and butchers are Muslims. The board reads Mutton with the Rate.

Even if it is hallah, if you ask him is it jhatka, he will look at you and know which community you are from and he will give the correct reply as you would find to your requirement.

natarajan and Oracle like this.
  17. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Is there a difference in taste between the two?

18. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

who gives a shit ?

if one is concerned about animal rights then kindly switch to leaves and plants.

panduranghari, parijataka and Oracle like this.
  19. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I have tasted both.

Disclaimer: I was not at the slaughter house to know how it was done, but the chap who sold it told me that it was hallal and on another day in another shop they said it was jhatka.

I could not make out the difference.

I however can make out a gram fed mutton (lamb) since it has an unique smell. Some like it, but I don't.

I am also amused that in restaurants they ask for 'lamb', when actually goat is served! ;)

The goraman I believe take lamb and we take Goat.

20. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Sir,

People nowadays don't even know if they are being sold a Kashi or a Chagi. And then they complain about the smell. Call it urbanization.

There are no goats in UK AFAIK. They eat lamb.

I have some friends, who eat red meat once in 3-4 months. They would go to a meat stall and ask like -
    Friend: Is this goat or lamb?
    Butcher: What do you want Sir?
    Friend: I want goat.
    Butcher: This is goat sir.

Say my friend wants lamb, the same thing is repeated.

Though we relish on goat meat, we eat lamb too. Kochi pata, briddho mesh. It's a bengali saying that 'young goats and older lambs' are tasty to eat.

In Bangalore the size of goats as well as lambs are the size of cows in my native place. It's a terrifying job to cook them. Just would not get boiled. Can't help it.

Ray likes this.
  21. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

:nono:..

Goat/chicken blood keema or burji..however you call it, is a delicacy in TN...:truestory:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.