Is HAL inefficient? Should Govt. split it?

Do you think HAL is efficient? If yes, what should be done?

• Total voters

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

PaliwalWarrior

From the article- Hal takes 400crores to manufacture SU 30 which is manufactured in Russia for 230 crores, which shows how competent Hal thugs are. Hal was the reason MMRCA failed because HAL could not match the manufacturing cost offered by Rafael.

But LCA fanboys have no problem blaming IAF in defence of that pos called Hal
ok so why is the deal for 36 still struck on costs when the 36 are mfg by dasault and to be brought by india in Flyaway condition from dasault ?

now HAL is out of the picture so why is costs stillan issue ?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
ok so why is the deal for 36 still struck on costs when the 36 are mfg by dasault and to be brought by india in Flyaway condition from dasault ?

now HAL is out of the picture so why is costs stillan issue ?
This is not defense of HAL. Rafale deal being signed or not does not change the fact that HAL takes more money to manufacture the same jet despite lower wages here in India. You can't troll your way out of this issue by deflecting it to other crap like you always do in the other forum. So don't post crap here.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
HAL wants to get a technologies, which is very reasonable.

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk
From what I read from knowledgeable members of another forum, the negotiations are for the offsets.

PaliwalWarrior

This is not defense of HAL. Rafale deal being signed or not does not change the fact that HAL takes more money to manufacture the same jet despite lower wages here in India. You can't troll your way out of this issue by deflecting it to other crap like you always do in other forum. So don't post crap

ok lets use logic and facts

russian offered india Su30

India evolved that into Su30MKI so first understand what is different in them

1st the russian aircraft comparable to Su30MKI is Su30SM

do you know that

1. SU30MKI means customised for india ?
it means India chooses the a lot of third country (isreal / french) systems that are fitted into the Su30MKI

now when russia makes Su30 it uses its own systems

when india chooses Isreali / french systems the costing is definitly going to go up because those are extra

2. when russia supplies SU30MKI kits to inida they already earn thier profit
when India licensce builds them there is licensing costs i.e. russian OEM profits + HAL profits

3. When Russia Builds them at thier plant the plant & R&D costs is amortised over a larger fleet (russian Su30 variants + Indian order) so those per unit overheads are lower
But when india build them at HAL the plant amortisation overheads per unit are higher

4. consider the effect of taxes - there is incidence of something around 25% of total costs as taxes to be paid (excise + VAT) for Su30MKI built in India

now adjust all those figures then come back with the real difference that HAL inefficiency makes to the pricing

PaliwalWarrior

From the article- Hal takes 400crores to manufacture SU 30 which is manufactured in Russia for 230 crores, which shows how competent Hal thugs are. Hal was the reason MMRCA failed because HAL could not match the manufacturing cost offered by Rafael.

But LCA fanboys have no problem blaming IAF in defence of that pos called Hal

last year Manohar parriker said the costs of Su30MKI was 358 crores

so whom should i beleive Def Min or this article ?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

do you know that

it means India chooses the a lot of third country (isreal / french) systems that are fitted into the Su30MKI

when india chooses Isreali / french systems the costing is definitly going to go up because those are extra

when India licensce builds them there is licensing costs i.e. russian OEM profits + HAL profits

3. When Russia Builds them at thier plant the plant & R&D costs is amortised over a larger fleet (russian Su30 variants + Indian order) so those per unit overheads are lower
But when india build them at HAL the plant amortisation overheads per unit are higher

4. consider the effect of taxes - there is incidence of something around 25% of total costs as taxes to be paid (excise + VAT) for Su30MKI built in India

now adjust all those figures then come back with the real difference that HAL inefficiency makes to the pricing
BS from top to bottom. The cost are for manufacturing and not tot or anything. Most of the components of mki is indigenously manufactured , to the tune of 85% last I checked. Vat is not included in the manufacturing costs.

Finally, NO, customisation for the MKI does not lead to increase of 100% when the Mki is only a tad better than su30 sm and unless we are talking about a difference of two generations between su30 and MKI.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

do you know that

None of your points above make sense except may be 1. But then do you really expect that alone to inflate costs by 100%. I would have given some weight to pt 3, but HAL builds enough planes to have costs similar to Russia.

PaliwalWarrior

None of your points above make sense except may be 1. But then do you really expect that alone to inflate costs by 100%. I would have given some weight to pt 3, but HAL builds enough planes to have costs similar to Russia.
Def Min said the costs of Su30MKi are 358 crores

western systems are costly over twice of those russian systems

go check out the taxes to be paid to govt - it dosent matter to govt as for the govt themoney are going from one pocket to another but it matters for IAF & HAL as they are paying to govt

when India licensce build Su30MKI - will russia give the liscence for free ?
they will charge licenscing fees - which will not be applicable in case of flyaway condition purchase from russian OEM

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Def Min said the costs of Su30MKi are 358 crores

western systems are costly over twice of those russian systems

go check out the taxes to be paid to govt - it dosent matter to govt as for the govt themoney are going from one pocket to another but it matters for IAF & HAL as they are paying to govt

when India licensce build Su30MKI - will russia give the liscence for free ?
they will charge licenscing fees - which will not be applicable in case of flyaway condition purchase from russian OEM
1. That is what we are discussing.

2. Agreed. But what part of the actual cost do they constitute? I already gave you benefit of doubt here, but does it double the entire cost?

3. Even for imported one there would be taxes, even import duties. But here we are talking about manufacturing cost and not delivery cost. I do not think it would make sense to compare Russian costs with HAL costs + taxes when people report cost. You can post link if you think that this is what is going on i.e. people report cost+tax for HAL while just cost for Sukhoi.

4. Well, licensing cost is there in both cases. You think Sukhoi does not include that cost when it sells itself. I would expect licensing fee to be less than actual designing fee that Sukhoi actually charges its customers.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
ok
say Su30 costs 233 crores in Russia
and Su30MKI costs 358 crores in india

thats a difference of 125 crores that is 50% increase over 233 crores not 100% as you claim & say
It was based on ToI news posted by @ashdoc which claimed it to be 440 crore compared to 227 in Russia.

Anyway, the other points still stand.

PaliwalWarrior

2. Agreed. But what part of the actual cost do they constitute? I already gave you benefit of doubt here, but does it double the entire cost?
the costs go up by 50% dont double up as i explained with figures in my last post
also
the avionics, sensors etc are the things which are major costs because that is what all it is about

some french members claims that spectra on rafale costs 30% of the rafale price

i know we are talking about Su30MKI but the example of Rafale was to show that increasingly the costing is in avionics & electronics not airframe

PaliwalWarrior

3. Even for imported one there would be taxes, even import duties. But here we are talking about manufacturing cost and not delivery cost. I do not think it would make sense to compare Russian costs with HAL costs + taxes when people report cost. You can post link if you think that this is what is going on i.e. people report cost+tax for HAL while just cost for Sukhoi.
i got to know about Su30MKI taxes and its figures from one member Vstol Jockey on another forum

the forum is currently down or i would have copy pasted his exact post

PaliwalWarrior

BS from top to bottom. The cost are for manufacturing and not tot or anything. Most of the components of mki is indigenously manufactured , to the tune of 85% last I checked. Vat is not included in the manufacturing costs.

Finally, NO, customisation for the MKI does not lead to increase of 100% when the Mki is only a tad better than su30 sm and unless we are talking about a difference of two generations between su30 and MKI.
when IAF pays HAL rs 358 crores for 1 su30MKI it includes taxes + Russian OEM profits (licenscing costs) + HAL expenses & profits

Most of the components built for Su30MKI in india does not mean India has that tech or IP of that tech
eg.
we build Su30MKi engines in india - but we pay royalty / Licensing fees / ToT fees to the russain OEM to make those engines and to learn those tech

or
if you think not then answer a simple question
why do we need to import engines for tejas
if we can build Su30MKI eninges on our own then why cant we build engines on our own for Tejas
answer this simple question

The costs increase in 50% no 100% as you claim

Russian Su30SM was inspired from SU30MKI
i.e. First India eveolved Su30MKI based on its success russia made Su30SM

Su30MKI precceeds Su30SM not the other way round

PaliwalWarrior

1. That is what we are discussing.

4. Well, licensing cost is there in both cases. You think Sukhoi does not include that cost when it sells itself. I would expect licensing fee to be less than actual designing fee that Sukhoi actually charges its customers.
licenscing costs is not there in both cases as in case of direct OEM (flyaway sales) they will charge profit

in case of ToT the OEM will charge profit (licenscing fees / tot charges ) and the local mfg will also charge his profit

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
when IAF pays HAL rs 358 crores for 1 su30MKI it includes taxes + Russian OEM profits (licenscing costs) + HAL expenses & profits

Most of the components built for Su30MKI in india does not mean India has that tech or IP of that tech
eg.
we build Su30MKi engines in india - but we pay royalty / Licensing fees / ToT fees to the russain OEM to make those engines and to learn those tech

or
if you think not then answer a simple question
why do we need to import engines for tejas
if we can build Su30MKI eninges on our own then why cant we build engines on our own for Tejas
answer this simple question

The costs increase in 50% no 100% as you claim

Russian Su30SM was inspired from SU30MKI
i.e. First India eveolved Su30MKI based on its success russia made Su30SM

Su30MKI precceeds Su30SM not the other way round
Dude stop peddling nonsense..even by the account of French and Israeli components being the reason for increased cost, the 60%higher costs (as per Parikkar itself) can't be explained unless the su30MKI has 40% or so western involvement by value. only LCA fanboys can make such adsurb claims that avionics and other minor components constitute 40% of the aircraft cost.

HAL is pathetic and has been the bane of India for which its fanboys blame IAF

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
BTW, whatever extra charge for manufacturing SU 30 due to foreign imlorts should be balanced for the PPP and lower wages in India. HAL has no excuse for it's pathetic inefficiency

@Sakal Gharelu Ustad . should not the price for production actually be lower in India considering the PPp and lower wages?

Illusive

Country flag
HAL is inefficient no doubt about it.

Two engines manufactured by HAL from Phase III kits procured from ROE in 2008 at a cost of ` 16.41 crore each were damaged (February 2011) during testing at Koraput Division. Considering that the vibration levels of both the engines exceeded the acceptable norm, HAL and ROE decided (October 2012) that reconditioning was not feasible. As a result, the engines had to be replaced by HAL with new engines procured from ROE.
The contract (March 2007) between IAF and HAL envisaged conversion rate of `59 per Euro and `45 per USD. The prices stipulated in the contract were up to 2007 level with provision for escalation to the year of delivery based on the principles of escalation for Su-30 MKI agreed between IAF and ROE. Audit scrutiny (September-October 2013) revealed that while working out the impact of price revision for submission to IAF, HAL considered (February 2009) exchange rates as ` 45 per USD and ` 59 per Euro as in the original contract and sought (February 2009) the approval for contract price of ` 9,479.69 crore. However, when the amendment was issued (February 2009), MoD had approved (February 2009) the contract price as proposed by HAL but had adopted FE rates as ` 45.50 per USD and ` 60 per Euro. Thus, due to adoption of incorrect exchange rate, HAL incurred a loss of `101.72 crore.
Although Russians milked India well whenever it got the chance, HAL provided them every opportunity.

The net increase in cost of ` 17,483.17 crore (` 22,122.78 crore to ` 39,605.95 crore) was due to escalation of price, cost of DRE and technical kits. The additional outflow of ` 2,734.92 crore (USD 594.54 million) was due to change in phase composition of the technical kits. As brought out in para 9.1.2.3, MoD compressed the delivery schedule to secure completion of deliveries of all the 140 aircraft by 2014-15 instead of 2017-18. This compression was after signing of Inter Governmental Agreement (October 2000) and General Contract (December 2000) and preparation of DPR. As the progress of indigenization was not at the same pace as envisaged in compressed delivery schedule, the import content increased.
http://www.saiindia.gov.in/english/..._compliance/2014/Defence/Report_35/chap_9.pdf

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles