Is An Independent Kashmir Viable?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Mikesingh, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Mikesingh

Mikesingh Senior Member Senior Member

Why do some separatist Kashmiris leaders want independence? Are they aware of the consequences?

There is a small section of Kashmir’s society that’s been shouting from the rooftops for ‘Independence’ of Kashmir. They neither want to remain with India nor join Pakistan. Do these hotheads know the consequences of an independent Kashmir?

Let’s check it out.

Reasons why an independent Kashmir is not viable.

1) Located in one of the most unstable regions in the world in terms of terrorism.

2) Could only set themselves up for an invasion from any one of possibly 3 neighboring countries.

3) Independence doesn’t guarantee stability.

4) Independence doesn’t guarantee safety.

5) A predominantly Muslim nation could fall prey to an extreme form of Islam and set up a strict Sharia Law society like the TTP/ISIS aim to establish.

6) Not economically viable since there are no industries or natural resources. Agriculture and tourism cannot sustain a country’s economy. Investors would think twice before investing in a land locked country. Independence doesn’t guarantee economic prosperity.

7) How would the country even generate tax income in an area that has no resources?

8) How would they find resources for raising an army for internal as well as external threats? A minimum of three divisions would be required and probably an indep armored brigade. Cost of raising such formations? At least $10 billion! Where is the money? Or where would it come from? And then there's the issue of sustainability and maintainability of this force that would incur enormous expenditure in perpetuity.

9) Kashmir is predominantly rural and makes nearly all of its paltry income from agriculture in a region as rocky as the Himalayas. There won’t be much money available to sustain a government in Kashmir and have enough funds for education, infrastructure, healthcare, defense, etc. It would not be able to fund such projects with the limited sources of income without running up monstrous debts which would quickly cripple the economy of the nation, scaring away investors, resulting in perpetual poverty, and finally resulting in a collapse.

At present India sinks into Kashmir almost Rs 50,000 crores a year ($9 billion) on subsidies, aids and grants. How would an independent Kashmir sustain itself without this enormous amount being pumped into Kashmir’s economy every year? Would Pakistan be able to lend this enormous amount annually as aid? Probably China? No way!

I would love to get a counter point to this from the separatists who spare no effort in vilifying India and hankering for an independent Kashmir for political brownie points.

Illusive, VIP, Sylex21 and 3 others like this.
  3. OneGrimPilgrim

OneGrimPilgrim Senior Member Senior Member

whr invaders hv been eulogised, heroes binned!!
    whatever the consequence for them, India simply can't afford to play Germany/Finland/France.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk

4. A chauhan

A chauhan "अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l" Senior Member

Good thread ! I agree with the reason OP has assigned I'll add one more reason :-

10. Pakistan will not let it "free" at all and turn it into anti-India/anti-non Muslim base for further terrorist/military strategies, and in case of Nuclear war between India and Pakistan, Kashmir wont be safe anymore.

Kashmir has no industry except tourism, and "Free" Kashmir will be having all the potentials of turning it into an extreme Islamist state barring the tourists. So its economy will fall on its face, the only financial option they would get is Jihad or Terrorism.

Mikesingh likes this.
  5. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Why are we even discussing this? J&K is an Indian state and India's Constitution doesn't allow Indian States to secede.

For Kashmiris this is not about Viability, this is about Islamic State and Sharia. They will eat halal, impose zazia on Kafirs, force their women to wear burqa and offer namaj 48-times a day, that makes them happier.

6. FRYCRY

FRYCRY Regular Member

It will become a hub of groups like ISIS and pakistan will exploit them for anti India activities. I remember one of their military guys said pehle kashmir, fir punjab, fir dilli, sab fatah karenge.... If we will give up on kashmir they will try to snatch more...

Mikesingh and LalTopi like this.
  7. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

These so called Kashmir separatists are nothing but a bunch of ISI, CIA/Chinese stooges who are crying for separate state to gain international sympathy( majorly from Arab world on the lines of gaza) so that once they get autonomy they can merge with Pakistan( muslim brotherhood).

For now their sole aim is to make India spend as much money as possible on Kashmir & even though successive Indian Governament have spend loads of monies on Kashmir, they cry foul why? - to make India look bad in front of International community(classic case of Namak Haram).

If you closely observe Separatists in Indian Kashmir are more active than Pakistan occupied Kashmir, Why? again its the same answer, its a way of bargaining & make India look as an aggressor/occupier.

Now that new Government under BJP is reciprocating well by saying that only outstanding issue with Pakis is that they have occupied our land(POK & GB). Moving forward India should spend less on Kashmir & concentrate more on Ladakh & Jammu.

Let these so called Pigs( stooges of ISI & CIA)cry to death.

Mikesingh, VIP, bengalraider and 3 others like this.
  8. tharikiran

tharikiran Regular Member

Yes, an independent POK free from PAK as part of India is definitely viable.:cruisin2:

9. I_PLAY_BAD

I_PLAY_BAD Regular Member

10. blue marlin

blue marlin Regular Member

ok im tagged now, what do you want me do to do? i told you im now an expert in kashmir then why tag me.

11. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

As u r expert now pls give ur expert advice

raja696 likes this.
  12. blue marlin

blue marlin Regular Member

have a look at this, you will find this useful and would give you some idea towards my opinion

13. bose

bose Senior Member Senior Member

14. Screambowl

Screambowl Senior Member Senior Member

we saw what happened to so called Independent Kashmir in 1948. When so called Mujahideen tribes invaded it to LOOT!

Similar will happen again with so called independent Kashmir

15. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

No its not viable, India can not afford an Independent Islamist whore house full of fanatic pimps bringing doom, dysfunction and anarchy, sitting right on top of its northern borders. We do not need another Pakistan in our neighborhood.

At least under Indian control these lands can foresee a normal and stable future guided by Indian constitution and democratic values.

The prevailing problems will get solved once Pakistan is taught a good long lasting lesson. This diagnosis was made ages ago, the remedy is known to policy makers, only wait is when the treatment will commence. Those who are getting impatient should know the chances are not made synthetically, playing such bigger games as the risk of getting caught is too big, the chances are waited for, sitting in an ambush. And it can take decades.

Indian posters discussing this issue by looking it form different lenses and angles in my honest opinion are doing disservice to India's official stand.

Though I have given my own opinion on this topic, but that was just to abuse. I believe making this issue exasperatingly complex is either a deliberate mischief or lack of lateral and vertical thinking by part of Indians who themselves are obscure and making other's confused as well.

May be Indian are getting carried away by the superficial optics and petty tricks being played by both the governments and media exaggeration. I some times think it is good this way that people are naive, when the real work gets done without much of the fanfare.

16. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

Obviously no. There is no sense discussing something that's never going to happen and can't be allowed to happen due a host of security issues, if nothing else.

Frankly, we spend way too much money subsidizing these people. First, that should be cut back gradually. Next, you need to carve out Jammu and Ladakh as separate territory and then use the valley as buffer.

Although, we need to be much more aggressive in our language and diplomacy than the past, its also key to note that it might not be in India's interest to raise this issue too much, not for the time being. With each passing year, the gap increases and Pak falters - the silly CPEC not withstanding.

India's public stance should be what the government stated:

1. No talk on J&K till terrorism is resolved
    2. The only talk on J&K is about recovering PoK

Let the Pakis whine all they want about their nukes. It will only weaken their position globally.

On the covert side, I sincerely hope, we are working towards hastening the process of balkanization of the terrorist state at a pace suitable for us.

17. SREEKAR

SREEKAR Senior Member Senior Member

I agree with @Mikesingh ..Thing will go out of control if kashmir becomes an independent state..They won't have enough moner/ revenue to pay salaries for govt employees.Another point is it is the only nation to suffer if any war/fight sparked between three nuclear armed neighbours.
    I don't think ISI will stay away from kashmir..they will continue their operations from there and will sent their yahoo fighters into India.At that time if they cross border , it will be head ache for indian capital city delhi.It will be main target.
    Again I agree with our senior member @DingDong .Govt of india should stand on one word..Kashmir belongs to india.Hence india won't accept kashmir as disputed area at UN

Mikesingh likes this.
  18. punjab47

punjab47 महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट Banned

Jattas & Dogras will never let it happen. So what's the point in discussing it?

OneGrimPilgrim likes this.
  19. SREEKAR

SREEKAR Senior Member Senior Member

Point is ..some kashmiri claim that they want to be away from pakistan and india( want freedom from both nations). In that case what will be the worst situation ? How it will take place?
    Just imagination. Both India and pakistan are not going to give up kashmir..it will be un finished agenda for next 2-3 decades.

20. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    It's also pertinent to note that there is no militancy in most of Jammu and Kashmir. The militants and separatist supporters are confined to the so called "Vale of Kashmir" and some outlying areas in the villages around Srinagar.i.e the area outlined below.
    [​IMG]
    Coming back to the topic at hand, any independence for Kashmir is just a stupid pipe dream.

parijataka and ersakthivel like this.
  21. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

But PoK has shown it's intrest in joining India. :lol:

PoK residents want to join India, trashes Pakistani Terrorism

It's perhaps the #1 point and not sure how OP didn't mention it at all.

Kashmir was actually a Independent "country" until Pakis attacked it using jahils from NW.

Now Pakis are bombing the same jahils. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015