Is a Congress-BJP Coalition govt possible?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Comparing the NDA and the UPA regimes in the last few years, one would see that almost all if not all policies of both the govts were the same. Be it economic or foreign.

We know that the BJP has te so called "Hindutva" ideology but as proven from it's rule earlier, it is sacrificed at the alter of politics.

I am wondering if Congress and BJP can come together after 2014 elections to form the govt. First up, it will do away with the troublesome regional parties based coalition which I think is the source of a lot of problems including corruption in the country. With two big parties in charge of the country together, it will be possible to take crucial and serious policy decisions on various issues of importance be it economic of security more easily and quickly. I feel it's in national interest that these two parties actually come together so that we are saved from the Multi party khichdi.

SHASH2K2 and Oracle like this.
  3. Parthy

Parthy Air Warrior Senior Member

Very rarely politicians work in National Interest.. So the possibility becomes -ve in the basic idea.. The government is not even ready to think about what actually resides within the power box, then how will they think out of box??...

Also, principles of both parties will make things even worse....

4. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

mate,

you dont create a void in politics either by not fighting elections or by aligning with a political outfit which is radically opposite in ideology, because the moment that happens, others look to take that space.

this was the very reason why even after supporting UPA I from outside the left was still acting as an opposition and the very reason why pml-n and ppp parted ways after forming of a national government (?) in pakistan just after a few months.

it is good that these two have almost similar policies and have a strong support base which determines no one group can form a government without their support even if the two were to do very badly sometime in future, which will mean even if the two are not the lead partners of any new political formation, still by being in opposing camps the larger policies where the two see eye to an eye will continue.

it is in our larger interest that two lead the opposing camps and never align politically but only on policy formation and see eye to eye on serious issues of concern to us.

5. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Yusuf the Congress is a highly centralized org with weak leadership at the state level.BJP is the exact opposite but Yusuf BJP has an extremely dedicated cadre.A party on the extreme left or right fringe always has more hardcore cadre compared to a Centrist party whose Cadre strength waivers wrt to its political fortunes

6. Iamanidiot

If those two parties coalesce we don't the warts of the thugs .Yusuf thats a risky proposition

7. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Congress & BJP have never been a responsible opposition. Their very existence is fathered by different ideologies.

However, if this happens we would witness wrestling match almost everyday between Digvijay Singh & Ravi Shankar Prasad.

8. Iamanidiot

@Oracle what sort of party is AGP

Godless-Kafir likes this.
  9. Oracle

Oracle New Member

A political party, very communal during it's early years. It's been out of power for many years, so I cannot comment on their recent status.

Most people with know how say, they are the forces behind the creation of ULFA - morally, ethnically and maybe financially too!

10. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Its something like a All star team - good for gallery but practically impossible to implement aleast till the Ghandi clan rules Congress.

11. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

If the BJP compromises on the Hindutva,will congress too compromise on secularism,after all both must step forward to arrive a common meeting point.If the Congress were to restore the Hindutva at the core of congress ideology(which it was before)then they wont need alliance with BJP or anybody else,they can rule India until the sun and the moon cease to shine.

Besides if MIya-Biwi become Raazi,then who will the watchdog Kaazi.

12. Parthy

The problem is both Cong and BJP were not in full form... Cong has maintained a complex relation with the left parties and BJP is moreover doomed by an unresponsive state leaders... They gotto fix their internal issues before going for any national alliance...

13. sukhish

sukhish Senior Member Senior Member

they don't have to be one party, but can defenitely work together on issue to issue. already some ice breaking has taken place and if it continues lot more reforms can be brought in due time.

Sushil Modi elected GST panel head
    Sushil Modi elected GST panel head - The Times of India

this big if congress is able to pass GST with help of BJP, it will be win-win situation and would affect the country in the long run.

14. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

This drama is just a master-stroke from Pranab da to deflect any blame accruing from the biggest tax reform till date onto the BJP.

Though I hate the Congress, I really can't help but admire their political acumen.

15. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

God forbid that ever happens. Despite all the negative stuff attributed to regional parties the truth is that coalition politics has made this country more democratic. No longer can any single "national party" with a strong base in 2 or 3 heavily populated states dictate terms to the rest of the country. No single family can treat this country as their ancestral property.

Yes their is more corruption but corruption was present even in the 70s and 80s. The other difference was it was completely within the domain of that grand old "national party" at the national level. The smaller thieves were limited to to the state level.

BJP and Congress coming together will remain a pipe dream. The future belongs to coalition governments.

16. Yusuf

The federal nature of our government made sure that all regions has powers to control their state.. Please understand. These regional parties with 10-20 MPs become king makers, demand their pound of flesh. Stop major policy initiatives and carry on with their agenda.

I am tired of these Bahenjis, Bhaiyyas, Uncles and Mamus coming at the national stage and making a mess. National government should involve only National Parties.

17. Parthy

For a coalition of this nature, there should be a common interest found between the parties.. But I don't see any common interest (Nation welfare/growth) between this two parties...

Both work hard for making their parties
    * To make more stable in the centre for a long term,
    * Get rid of their party men out of the scam and long held cases
    * Loot money from the Gov workhorse and be ready for next election
    * Prepare their descendent (probably their kids) to take their position
    * it goes on..........................................

This is an unending story until people of India gets enough awareness.....:tsk:

18. Param

If the people of a particular state want Behenji to represent them, who are you or myself to stop that? They have given their mandate to their leader of choice and these so regional leaders are merely representing people's will.

Suppose in a state people only prefer their regional party leaders to represent them what can be done about that? We cannot say that since they have not chosen a "national party" they cannot elect MPs.

And regarding the so called national parties_ there are plenty of states both big and small that are ruled by regional parties.If the turmoil in Telangana continues we may have another powerful regional party and so on.
    Since the "national parties" do not rule these states how can they be called truly National?

I am not against the big "national parties", I like the BJP.
    In a country that is ,no offence, a khichdi of states and regions it is only natural to have a Multi party Khichdi Govt.

19. Yusuf

I am not against regional parties representing their regions. I dont want regional parties at the national stage. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

20. Param

But that is not possible when people want regional parties to represent them at the national level too. One can't force them to vote only for "national party" MPs.

Even i want a lot of things in the country to happen the way i wish but what the rest of the nation wants is what matters.

21. Yusuf

Wonder if the constitution can be amended so that national govt can be formed only by national parties. The definition of a national party can be worked out. Regional parties can fight elections in their respective regions and form governments.