Irom Sharmila

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by RPK, Jun 8, 2011.

1. RPK

RPK Indyakudimahan Senior Member

SAVE SHARMILA CAMPAIGN
    25 JUNE, RAJGHAT, NEW DELHI

Dear friends,

As, You are aware that the fast of Irom Sharmila Chanu has crossed 10 years, with a demand to repeal AFSPA (Armed Forces Special Powers Act, 1958).

She was arrested based on the charges for attempt to commit suicide, criminalized as a high security prisoner and her access to family, friends, supporters and the media have been denied. It is a shame that in this land of Gandhi, a non-violent protester has been subjected to such humiliation for more than ten years.

AFSPA has already been regarded as a Lawless law and draconian law by various international agencies. United Nation has also expressed its concern over this law. Human Rights agencies have found that this law is continuously violating basic human rights and has led to increase in number of rapes, bonded labors & negative psychological impacts are its result.

Now, as a concerned citizen, it is our responsibility to respect and to protect human rights and values.

A candle light prayer is being organized on 25 JUNE at 6:00 PM at Rajghat, Delhi, to support the non violent protest of Irom Sharmila with a demand to “Save Irom Sharmila”.

Save Sharmila Campaign at Rajghat New Delhi 20110607

3. RPK

RPK Indyakudimahan Senior Member

Manipur: Irom Sharmila completes 10 years of fasting

Manipur: Irom Sharmila completes 10 years of fasting

Imphal, Manipur: On the world's longest hunger strike, Irom Sharmila has completed ten years of fasting over human rights abuses in Manipur and promises to continue.

Silently but forcefully, she is highlighting the rarely reported decade-long insurgency in Manipur and the government's response to it with Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), something she opposes.

Irom Sharmila Chanu is a poet, a writer and an activist. She was brought to the jail ward of Jawaharlal Nehru Hospital at the age of 27. Now ten years have passed in solitary confinement.

In the year 2000, she had pledged a fast-unto-death against the imposition of AFSPA in Manipur. She was arrested and since then kept in custody - force fed with a tube.

When we met her, a cheerful Irom Sharmila seemed more determined than ever to continue with her fast. She, however, did not wish to talk much.

NDTV: In Manipur ten years back, there was a 27-year-old girl who sat in Malom for a protest. Ten years later, what do you see when you look back?

Irom Sharmila: Let us realise why we are here in this world. How and when we will go away from here? This is our duty to just self-realise.

This was a rare interview opportunity for both of us. But the one-hour, so hard-earned, was spent mostly in edgy silence. As if she was asking, 'I am living the struggle...I am living my protest...what more can my words give you that my life already doesn't?'

utubekhiladi and amitkriit like this.
  4. Marius Saturninus

Marius Saturninus Regular Member

they say, Anna fasted for a few days and New Delhi appeased him, but Ms Sharmila is on a fast for last 10 years and instead of looking into her demands, she's been treated as a criminal. Thus, they say in the north east.

5. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

how has she survived 10 years of fasting? Am i missing something here? May be she has become a fruitarian or something...

utubekhiladi likes this.
  6. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

She is being force-fed by the state, that's how she has managed to last so far.