IRCTC needs to upgrade

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by Yusuf, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I had to alter my travel plan which required booking under tatkal.

Tatkal booking starts at 10am. So all set to log in, and boom, I get a plain which screen with huge bold fonts SERVICE UNAVAILABLE. My iPhone app for railways showed there were tickets available. 10 minutes past 10am and I am still getting the same error and it able to book. iPhone app shows 7 tickets still there.
    Still not able to log in. 15 mins past 10 and all tickets wait listed and still not able to log in.

Makes me wonder if there is collusion or really hey are on a crappy server.

All in all, I am stranded. What's more all buses are full as well. I am going to miss a family function.

And people wonder if High Speed Rail is viable or not. Bloody hell there is lack of capacity putting rail, bus and air together.

3. Joji

Joji Regular Member

Booking online ticket in IRCTC tatkal time is an achievement itself. There tatkal sevice is too bad. Dont rely on it. See some agent. Or try 3-4 friends together to book the ticket.

4. spikey360

spikey360 Crusader Senior Member

They are on a crappy server Yusuf bhai, all government websites and services are.

5. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Ha Ha Ha....Once I was able to book the ticket, paid through my internet banking and when it redirected to irctc, it showed the same page.:mad: It was a really KLPD for me.:( Agar aap irctc pe tatkal ticket book kar lete ho to aapka jeevan Safal ho gaya samjo. :rofl: agents use bots to book tatkal tickets, these irctc people are ameature. Big companies need to take over this service. A global tendor should be issued for this.

Ankit Purohit likes this.
  6. Victor Sierra

Victor Sierra Regular Member

My friend booked a seat under Tatkal. He paid around INR 6500 approx. But he didn't got any ticket. After complaining a lot they told him to wait for around a period of 45 days. Also the helpline numbers doesn't work properly, both paid & toll free. Also I guess they are not even 24 hours helpline, we tried calling yesterday at around 8 or 9pm but none of there number worked.

You want a ticket for tatkal, contact local shops near railway stations, tours & travels might be able to give you but it will cost you high, as compared to local shops who are not into tours & travels business.

Let me know if anyone need help booking tatkal from Pune. I know a person, he sells at reasonable price. He guarantees a confirm ticket.

7. Victor Sierra

Victor Sierra Regular Member

AFAIK the bot issue is solved. If they haven't, then only god can help the IRCTC.

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Shoot a letter to the Chairman Railway Board and to the media in the Letters to the Editor.

9. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

IRCTC is the worst government site. Either you will face too much traffic or some error while booking ticket. Most of the time, i found some error on the last page. Money was debited from my bank account which came back after 2-3 days and of course no ticket was booked, time lost and confirmed ticket became waiting. Whenever, I tried to book Tatkal ticket, I was unsuccessful. :sad:

Nowadays, when i need train ticket - I book through Yatra.com or call any agent for Tatkal as this facility is not available through Yatra.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  10. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Changing time from 8 to 10 wouldn't solve that problem.Here agents still do that.You have to give them your info.They have a lot of accounts running and can buy many tickets from different accounts. I suspect how many of tatkal tickets are actually bought by genuine customers.People start making queue outside ticket window since 3 A.M. morning.And still only max 5 persons can buy confirm tickets.

11. Yusuf

Yeah we need High Speed Rail. It will really benefit. People can just go to the counter on the day of travel.

12. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

The problem is that people want to travel, travel quickly and cheaply. High speed railway may not necssarily satisfy the third criteria.

13. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

They should use cloud computing. During peak hours virtual CPUs can be increased.

14. Ray

What all that is essential for a HSR, has anyone checked out?

Are we ready?

If we are to be ready, what does it entail?

Check it out and then debate.

Actually a space rocket between cities is the answer.

Feasible?

15. Yusuf

People who want to travel will travel. Today a bus ride in a Volvo sleeper costs 2000 odd. When the demand is higher, they go up to 3000. I was just seeing that the HSR in china for 1000 mms costs $75. Approx 4k. But I save a whole day literally and a lot of other hassles.

16. Ray

High Speed Rail Study
    High Speed Rail

When it passes through the countryside, how do we keep the cattle or human movements across the line from disrupting?

Remember how Pilot the Minister died on the High Speed Delhi Jaipur Highway?

17. Yusuf

Fencing and use of elevated sections wherever required.

18. Ray

The cost?

Economically viable?

What is more important- education, malnutrition, universal health care or HSR to suit a few?

We have not yet finished our High Speed Highways linking the country started by Gen Kahanduri and we talk of HSR!

The only way to do it is by being ruthless and inhuman like China.

Are we ready?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  19. Yusuf

I will be viable. Huge gap in demand and supply and people willing to pay for services.

20. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

Its not much a of a supply demand issue. They just need to upgrade their crappy servers

21. Ray

Easier said than done.

Chidambaram has said something like that about people wasting money over ice cream but were not ready for some tax or the other and he was howled down!

Seen the ad where a man is buying a luxurious yacht and he has the money to buy it, but he ask 'Kitni deti hai?'!

That is India!