IPL snubs Pak players

neo29

have you guys seen the auction video of IPL 3. during the bids of pak players, the expression of everyone in the room was different, it was kind of planned ignorance. none of the teams reacted and neither looked at other teams to see if anyone interested in them. it was clearly evident that the teams already were told/decided to ignore pak players.

i am way to happy too see no pak players on indian soil, but Australian players must not be threatened like the shiv sena did so.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
This whole Controversy would have been avoided if the PCB and the Pakistani Cricketers had not chased the IPL to give them a chance to Participate even though the 9th December Dead Line had passed :

No bid, no problem

“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” says Clark Gable in Gone with the wind. It’s been voted the No. 1 movie quote of all time by AFI and works for me when I see that no Pakistani has been picked by the IPL franchise owners now marketing completely to the anti-Pakistan market.

It’s much better than Portia’s grumble: “You taught me first to beg, and now methinks you teach me how a beggar should be answered.”

By now you must have realized I am quite into books and movies with inspirational concepts. The reason is that words often shake us and take us into a real world and yank us out of the rut we have gone into simply because we have decided to go with the flow.

By drumming up a near war-mongering fuss over the omission of our cricketers from the IPL supermarket brands, we are admitting we need India, despite all we say about not giving a damn.

And I am sure that when the dust settles down we’ll realise that we made too much of a commotion.

I really can’t understand what all the fuss is about if some of our cricketers were not sold like slaves. I have never really agreed with the thought that sportsmen who have reached the pinnacle should watch themselves being humiliated by having a price tag attached on themselves publicly.

European football clubs do it with grace and respect by talking of player ‘transfers’ in the privacy of their boardrooms. To think that it was cricket that was called a gentleman’s game and football was for the ruffians. I speak this for cricket in the past tense because the Sotheby’s style of auctioneering is not for the human soul. It is for artefacts made by the humans.

So they don’t want us. Big deal. They can have their party to themselves. We can throw a party too. It may not be full of wine, women and dance but that’s not the only way to have fun. Why are we allowing others to define how we want to live?

I understand it is humiliating to be invited to someone’s home and then be sent back from the door. But let’s take a breadth here and break the code to find out what really happened here. That requires a different take, however, and I’ll take it up in my next blog.

Why did they invite us? Well because we chased them to do so. No one was really desperate to have the Pakistani players around last December and there were only cold enquiries to ask if the players were available. Then our very own PCB and government took a long time to process NOCs and the IPL shut the door once the deadline had passed.

Then the players said they wanted to be let in again. We worked the phones, the faxes and the emails and grudgingly Modi allowed our players to stand up for sale.

Please note PCB, players and politicians : The invitations, if they had formally existed at all, had been cancelled on December 9 as the extended deadline for NOCs from Pakistan had come and gone. It had been made clear to us that Modi & Co did not want our players.

The franchisees had prepared themselves to play without them. It was the players who were chasing them.

The franchises had already replaced Pakistan players with other foreign recruits.

In the meantime we kept calling the Indians swindlers for having taken our World Cup away from us. On the political front, the men who matter started blaming the Indians for the bomb blasts and insurgency in Balochistan. Meanwhile Ajmal Kasab claimed he had been kidnapped by RAW and made a patsy for the Mumbai attacks. So why would the franchises take a risk knowing anything could happen before the event begins in spring?

I love Pakistan and want us to be proud of our identity. I want to spend all my energy improving where we live and lift the values of my community and society and fellow Pakistanis. I especially want our cricket to become the benchmark of the world. We should seek self respect, not money avenues.

Sohaib Alvi has been a cricket writer since 1979, and has edited The Cricketer International (UK) Asian Edition. He also has 25 years’ top management experience and now works as a strategic and marketing consultant.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Indian money talks: Afridi, Tanvir want to forgive and forget

Staff Report

LAHORE: Money talks, and in cricket Indian money talks a language that is the first preference of all international cricketers and administrators. Barely a week after all-rounder Shahid Afridi said that the Indian Premier League (IPL) and India had made fun of Pakistan players and the country by not bidding for them at the auction, the Pakistan Twenty20 captain says that he is willing to forgive and forget and he has gotten over the anger and hurt he felt at being ‘snubbed’. His team-mate Sohail Tanvir has joined him, saying ‘I have nothing personal against India and if any opportunity arises in future where I am invited to play in the IPL or Champions League I will definitely go to play if my seniors do the same.’

This is the same Tanvir who – in an interview to a Pakistani news channel – had said that the Hindus had shown their true colours. It is the same Tanvir who claimed in the afore-said interview that Pakistan players never wanted to play in the IPL, but the IPL came begging for them to take part. “After the IPL auction I was deeply hurt and angry, the way Pakistan players were treated was disrespectful and in my view wrong. Whose fault it was. I don’t know. In times like these as a Muslim the examples of our Prophet has guided me and I’m therefore willing to forgive and forget what has happened and look forward,” he told a website Pakpasion.net.

And in a remarkably statesman like pronouncement, he said: “When you think about it Pakistan and India share much more things in common than there are differences, we need to build our relations rather than break them. Sports should be used to build peace between our great nations, not break them. Although Pakistan and India have borders, these borders cannot divide humanity.” Whether these reconciliatory statements spring from Afridi’s generosity of spirit – which he has seldom displayed on a cricket field – or the potential generosity of the IPL franchise owners’ purses, will be up for debate.

Afridi also made it clear that since South Australia had qualified for the Champions League Twenty20, he would be available to play for the Australian state side in the event in India this year. Not to be outdone, Tanvir said that he always had a good experience playing in India. “Look, when I went to India with the Pakistan team in 2007 and after that for the IPL’s inaugural season I was warmly welcomed and treated well by the Indian people. It came as a rude shock to us and it was very sad but like I said if our board and senior players say we should go I will also go to play in India. I will do whatever my seniors tell me to do or go by the guidelines provided by the Pakistan Cricket Board.”

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
In times like these as a Muslim the examples of our Prophet has guided me and I’m therefore willing to forgive and forget what has happened and look forward,” he told a website Pakpasion.net.
So it is not for the love of $$$ but for the love of Islam and the prophet that he is willing to play for IPL!

Not to be outdone, Tanvir said that he always had a good experience playing in India. “Look, when I went to India with the Pakistan team in 2007 and after that for the IPL’s inaugural season I was warmly welcomed and treated well by the Indian people.
Yes, and he showed that he was not fit for that! He behaved like the snake and bit the hand that feeds him! Thali, chhed et al.!

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Guys, I think its time to share this petition with the media. Has any TV channel taken up the issue yet.

These beghairat idiots are again clamoring to come to India. We don't want anyone who made anti India remarks.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Not completely mainstream but Outlook magazine seems to have picked up Sohai Tanvir's racist comments. Hope others follow. Here is the article.

It's Not Cricket

I feel sorry for the people and cricket players of Pakistan. I have no position or great insight into the decision of the IPL bidders but I do feel it’s an example of the world really not wanting to engage with the mess that is Pakistan.

SABA NAQVI

I feel sorry for the people and cricket players of Pakistan. Fact is that the world now has a tough time dealing with a region that has spun out of control. No cricket team wants to play in that country and the brutal attack on Sri Lankan players completely ruled out the possibility of the bravest athlete venturing into that troubled region. And now the Pakistanis are smarting under the decision taken by the managers of IPL teams not to bid for their players. The word is that the owners and managers of the teams just don’t want the possible hassles that the Pakistani players invite. I am told that this includes the following reasons:

Venues like Mumbai are not welcoming to Pakistanis after 26/11. And there is definitely no chance that a team like Mumbai Indians would bid for a Pakistani player.
Pakistani players can have visa problems.
Pakistani players are enormously talented but not disciplined.

The managers of the IPL are business oriented and simply don’t want any real or imagined hassle that having Pakistani players can involve.
I have no position or great insight into the decision of the IPL bidders but I do feel it’s an example of the world really not wanting to engage with the mess that is Pakistan. I recall a conversation with a well known Australian cricket expert some years ago. He had said that in his view the country with the greatest natural talent for the game is Pakistan even though they have no organized national tournament to spot talent comparable to, even, say the Ranji trophy. Having travelled to Pakistan several times and even to Mianwalli, the region dominated by Pathans from the Niazi tribe from which the cricketing legend Imran Khan hails, I know what he meant by “natural talent”. The men of that region were a good head taller than the average Indian so there is a grain of truth in generalities and stereotypes about why Pakistan produces great fast bowlers and India does not.

Yet let me confess to a great discomfort during my forays into the Pakistani countryside. I had gone to Mianwalli in 1996 with Nawaz Sharif for a day’s campaigning during an election. I was the only woman I spotted out in public without a veil or chador and this is before Pakistan became the hard-line Islamic mess it is today. India may not be the liberated west but it’s certainly easier for all sorts of women to survive here without covering their faces in public. Three years ago I again had a visa that allowed me access to a Pakistan village (as opposed to the city specific visas usually given to Indian journalists). The village I went to was a few hours drive from Lahore so very well connected to the big city. The hospitality was spectacular but again it was the men who were the hosts. No woman came even for the feast laid out for me.

The point I am making is that we may have been one big country before the Partition but today India and Pakistan are very different entities. And it’s not just the geo-political mess that Pakistan is or the failure of democracy in that country. The ethnic stock, social norms, tribal values (and lately religious extremism) make Pakistan a wild west that is not friendly to women except the very well made up and fashionable ladies one meets in the metros. Pakistan certainly has huge problems. But some Pakistanis have a hard time dealing with the reality that their country is a mess.

In the India-Pakistan context this gets tied up with the schizophrenia people of both countries have about each other. I am quite certain that there was also a subtle communal attitude at play in the signal given to IPL managers not to bid for Pakistanis. We certainly have many groups in India ready to abuse Pakistanis. Some residents of the neighbouring country have also responded with some shocking communal stereotyping. Consider this conversation that took place in a TV show titled “A morning with Farah” on ATV, a Pakistan channel and the entire show can be seen on Youtube [4:21 to 4:23]

Sohail Tanvir, who helped the Rajasthan Royals win and got the highest number of wickets in the first IPL is being interviewed by another journalist while the glamorous hostess, Farah, looks on. Consider Tanvir’s remark: “Hinduon ki zahaniyat hi aisi hai (the Hindu nature is like that only)” the implication being that the Hindus have deliberately deceived and humiliated Pakistanis. The journalist responds with a remark about Indians being “baniyas” and says: “bagal meN chhuri/ muuNh meN Ram Ram” (they are ready to plunge a knife behind your back though they will keep saying Ram Ram). The gentleman with this shocking view of Indians in general and Hindus in particular then goes on about how India is tricking Pakistan out of hosting the world cup next year.

Clearly many Pakistanis are in denial about the fact that no one except for the intrepid journalist (such as yours truly) wants to travel to that country.

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
This whole IPL fiasco is boring. Whether it was a spontaneous act of collective rebuke or a "coercion" following 'threats' from various quarters, they had legitimate grounds to refuse Pakisthanie players based on security concerns. Cuz when the sh1t hits the fan, b*tches, don't come crying to us.

If there's one thing this entire situation has told me, it's how desperate the Pakisthanie players are to get playing for the IPL- an Indian cricket league - despite all their ballyhooing and sabre-cyber rattling about the 'hegemon' India and all it doo's.

In the end, it was the same ol' same ol' played out between the two nations. I think this blog sums it all:

Backtracking on the IPL

POSTED By Sohaib Alvi on 01 27th, 2010

I wrote in my previous blog that reality will surface once the dust settles on the IPL auction 2010.

Well it has, and it seems the Pakistani government, PCB, and the cricketers themselves had a knee-jerk response to the IPL fiasco. Now the real comedy will begin as our cricketers try to wriggle out of what the ministers have got them into. First came the misplaced call for unity, now comes the every-man-for-himself clamour.

It took two cunningly placed comments, one from Shah Rukh Khan, the owner of Kolkata Knight Riders, and the other from the Australian assistant coach of Rajasthan, Darren Berry. Shah Rukh said he would have gone for Abdur Razzaq while Berry said they had Umar Akmal in their plans. Get it, guys? No? Read on.

Before the auction, with catastrophic assumption and arrogance, Shahid Afridi had said his preference would be to play for Kolkata or Rajasthan. Now are you reading between the lines? Shahid who? In my books, this oversight will go down as the most pleasantly communicated snub of all time.

The cricketing patriots have already realised the future cost of demanding self-respect. Nationalistic fervour has already been replaced by an attitude of appeasement. When a friend asked if the IPL would really be blocked, I responded, “it’s a matter of days before the threat is forgotten as cable operators realise that by blocking the IPL they’ll lose out on a couple of million rupees in revenues that advertising will generate.”

Plus, the players will realise that their ire has been hijacked by the media for sound bytes, by the ministers for popularity bytes, ex-cricketers for news bytes, the PCB rebels for chairman-seat-claim bytes and the government for vote bytes. For the sake of jingoistic points (which they need after doubling the prices of sugar, petrol, gas and electricity in a matter of 18 months), politicians have unnecessarily given a matter worth sidelining global publicity and brought their own shortcoming into sharp focus.

Now the cricketers, led by Afridi, are rushing to douse the embers as they realise they’ve been made the pawns in a battle of the bytes. In a press release on Tuesday, Afridi expresses his willingness to forgive and forget, claims he will happily visit India to play in the IPL, and in a way snubs both his chairman and the sports minister, who had announced that no Pakistani players would participate in the IPL again.

Chances are, Afridi probably had this change of heart when the SA Redbacks made it clear that he could not share the 3.3-million-dollar winner’s purse in IPL Champions League later this year in the event that the team won.

In the wake of Afridi’s conciliatory message, the argument about who first heightened the stakes will begin, as both Ijaz Butt and Aijaz Jakhrani committed not to send their players to future IPL contests. Both now find themselves being stared down by the players themselves. General Zia ul Haq had crafted ‘cricket diplomacy’ in 1987, but it was crazy for these two to wage a ‘cricket war’ while they were street fighting each other over control of Pakistani cricket.

Some sort of dressing down after the IPL fiasco – and Pakistan’s reaction to it – was inevitable. It is ironic, though, that the cricketing powers that be are now claiming that they have been vindicated. That’s stupid. The statements of Shah Rukh and Indian Home Minister Chidambaram merely confirm what they claimed on January 19: that there is no conspiracy by the government of India and that this is a private affair of an Indian company. Read their statements in totality; they felt threatened by local nationalists and the responsibility to ensure security. Shah Rukh in particular talks of huge revenue losses in that eventuality.

The Indians have also learned diplomatic skills from their former English masters. They see the big picture and know full well that, by now, saner voices have prevailed in Pakistan. For obvious reasons, the last thing the Indians want is a Pakistan with a bruised ego and a score to settle. After all, they have just received permission from the Pakistan government to send Indian food items across the border without requiring prior permission. And so Mr. Chidambaram steps in with his soothing words.

Other than that, there are economical reasons why both have given sympathetic statements. Shah Rukh fears for his market here: My name is Khan is releasing in Pakistan on February 12 and a Pakistani boycott of all things Indian would hurt him (notice he mentions his Pakistani links in his statement).

You will soon hear that the ministers and players have chosen to be big-hearted and will claim to ‘forgive India’ and reinitiate their parliamentarian delegations. The cricketers will allow themselves to be auctioned again. Butt will remind us that his initial reaction to the auction had been: “So what? We didn’t play IPL2 either.” And knowing the Indians they will grin and move on with promises of including Pakistani players in the future. As such, the IPL auction sums up the story of our two nations.

Sohaib Alvi has been a cricket writer since 1979, and has edited The Cricketer International (UK) Asian Edition. He also has 25 years’ top management experience and now works as a strategic and marketing consultant.

http://blog.dawn.com/2010/01/27/backtracking-on-the-ipl/

Last edited by a moderator:

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Calling them home and leaving them embarrassed was wrong, if indeed it was a deliberate action, i am ashamed of it.

However there should be a clear rule that unless the security agencies of India can tell the government without doubt, that Pakistan has stopped funding and supporting anti India terrorist groups, we should not engage in trade or allow any Indian Organisation to give money to Pakistani citizens or organisations.

Not to do so is a insult to the ultimate sacrifice that our armed forces have to make every single year.

vishal_lionheart

Why should we buy pakistani players, There are absolute proof that pakistani are not playing cricket sportingly but they are always mood of jihad in game. Ask Imran Khan? Pakistani already exported terroriest, we forward a friendship hand towards Pakistan and start Lahor - Delhi bus. But they turned that Bus towards Kargil. They also support and funding to fundamental and separatiest activiest in India. ( Kashmir, north-east and all over India). Are we forgotten last Pakistan series and How they sledge Sachin Tendulkar? Do you like to forgot 26/11 and latest reaction of Pak prime minister Gilani, that they cannot control terrorisum against India, ( but provide ground support and logistic to terroriest). None of the countries in the world accept this attitude except India. Are we really cold Blooded? Are slavery is our Mentality? Dont pay the money to pakistanies, ultimetly it will use against India and Indians. Recently my friend showed me 1 mms in which Shahid Afridi has used a very abusive languge to Indian woman and India.
So who cares that Pakistanis are not playing in Ipl.

vishal_lionheart

Last but not list, ask the families fo Martyer whose lost thier loved ones in Kashmir and north-east?
Kutte ki doom hamesh tedhi hi rehti hain? Pakistan has turned down all peace effort made by India also violating treaties, continous fight on Boarder. Still we buying them.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Well, well, well. This whole IPL-thing seems to have taken a vicious turn. No Pakistani participation in this year's season, and the unnecessary politicization of the issue means there probably won't be the next.

Dark_Prince

Who would you Chose Tanvir or Modi?

If Mr. Modi hates Pakistanis, I care less!!

But, What matters is why pakistan is making such a big issue? If I don't want to invite someone to visit my place, its my wish and even if he barges in uninvited, I would throw him out! Not entertain his rantings!!

Similar is the case with Lalit Modi, IPL is his Brain Child!

And, as per the case on illiterate country boy Tanvir's comments, it just reflects pakistans general mentality and thankless attitude...he made millions out of IPL and Indian sponsorships, and this is how a true pakistani has Thanked His Hindu Masters who Bought Him in a free for all Auction. ;) (yet he blames them for not buying him, as he was out to sell himself again) :cool:

:D:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:

praneetbajpaie

Tihar Jail
Banned
well we should let the IPL team owners and organizers know that if Paki players are included in any future IPL event, we will boycott it. I appeal to all Indians everywhere, don't watch IPL if Paki players are included. My friends and I have already made a pact.

Global Defence

Articles