IPI Pipeline Discussion Thread

Neo

With the civil nuke deal in pocket and gas coming from Bay of Bengal from next year I'm almost certain India will abandon the deal. She's just delaying it for strategic reasons. ;)

Country flag
the Bay of Bengal is not enough for India's voracious gas appetite. I always like the deal except for some security pacts that would be needed, I thought it would have been completed by now.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
From Indian PoV I fully agree with you here.

But do not underestimate the improtance of the pipeline for Pakistan, there's not much USA can do to stop if China decides to join the project. China is considered an ally for both Iran and Pakistan and has recently closed energy deals worth $100 billion. There are plans to extend the pipeline to China (IPC) and use Pakistan as an energy corridor.

I'm convinced that the IP will be built.
oh yes the only two ways one can see this go through is when it is either ipi or ipc but it ceratinly is not just going to be ip, as then there are too much political ramifications and a burden of which is impossible for pakistan to handle at a time when imf is the real show runner in pakistan, and also US has had too much of a say in how the pakistan plans out its internal and foreign policies, and till the time there is not a pro-west government in tehran there is no way they are going to let the "ip" happen.

ipi depends to a lot what US has to say as we will see the rub off effect of the indo-us nuke deal so that in it self jars our very own foreign policy to an extent, but if it is to be a ipc, i cant see how US can really off track that one. but every thing said and done, i personally very much liked what singh had to say on this being a road transport thing as that is less politically volatile, which also effectively keeps india off it and then this must have a huge scope of generating permanent direct and in-direct employment opportunities in pakistan.

as a matter of fact, i for one would like to see china be involved and see a “ipic”, how that happens and what geographical route it takes i am not sure but if such a thing were to take shape then this pretty well takes care of india's concerns on security and non-stop supply even in case of worsening of relations between our two nations, as then pakistan has too much at stake to cut the supply. wait for the regime change in tehran and if that were to happen, we could all very well see a “ipic”, be talked about and be implemented.

Neo

the Bay of Bengal is not enough for India's voracious gas appetite. I always like the deal except for some security pacts that would be needed, I thought it would have been completed by now.
Its enough for you to delay IPI kind of projects for more than a decade. ;)

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I beg to deffer, Iran has never interfered in Pakistani religious affairs. Shiah-Sunni devide is almost a dead issue now, specially compared to the nineties when religious devide cost more Pakistani lives than ever before in the national history.
Neo you should have look in to these items:

http://www.sananews.com.pk/english/2009/02/18/pak-embassy-in-tehran-attacked/
http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-n...9/Iran-ready-to-chase-militants-into-Pakistan

Back to the topic now. India should pull back from the project and let Iran-Pakistan sort things out, the pipeline is going to be built with or without India.

Just my two paisa..
I don't think India is stopping the two countries from getting the things done on it's own.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I don't think India is stopping the two countries from getting the things done on it's own.
It would be ironic if Pakistan ends up buying (overpriced) gas pumped by OVL-OIL from the Farsi block.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
It would be ironic if Pakistan ends up buying (overpriced) gas pumped by OVL-OIL from the Farsi block.
Yup until the price comes down the link is not viable.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Pakistan is using the Iran card against USA and with our growing thrust for oil we certainly do have a case here.
Pakistan is using a lot of cards against US. Nuclear proliferation, Taliban etc.

India backed off from Iran and got the nuke deal in reward where as Pakistan still is searching for alternatives.
This is certainly a unique viewpoint.

India backed off Gas because it is economically nonviable and it has major security shortcomings.

Pipeline deal was valued at 8bn$. India has already invested or will probably invest amount in multiples of that figure in Iran.

Late last year it was reported that India is pumping in additional 3billion $ to develop one of the world's largest gas fields discovered by OVL-OIL-IOC (Indian govt owned companies) in Iran. India will be hopefully bringing this gas as equity gas ie at a fraction of the rate than what Iran is quoting for IPI.

Unless US s ready to offer us same deal, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon, there's no one stopping us buying from Iran.
I don't know how much clout US commands in Pakistan, but Pakistan ought to buy oil and gas from whomsoever it feels and without pressure. Luckily for you guys Saudi is a generous friend.

From an Indian PoV IPI was always a no go ever since it was mooted in 1980s. And with the Indian gas discoveries in Iran, that can be brought back as equity gas than IPI makes no sense for India.

Gwadar will become a regional hub re-exporting oil, some of it will come from neighboring Iran.
What will happen to Chabahar ?
Iran and Pakistan at present both lack excess megarefining capabilities.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
can some one reflect on our contract with qatar, the pricing part, and how well they honour those signed contracts especially when the crude prices goes soaring high.
Qatar and India have two rate contracts for LNG, one is spot rate and the other long term rates.
Long term rates with Qatar for LNG are fixed for 5-25 years. (at approx 1/3 the price offered by Iran for IPI)
Spot rates are current prevailing rates.

Qatar currently has one of the worlds largest proven reserves, is set to become worlds leading producer of LNG and its long term rates offered to its one of its biggest buyer aka India are one of the cheapest in the world.

Qatar this year has increased the gas supplies to India, on long term contracts by 50% to 7.5million tonnes. Qatar is prompt in increasing supplies or giving emergency supplies as and when requested by government of India.

"Deora requested for extra cargoes and I simply can't say no to him," Qatari Oil Minister Abdullah bin Hamad al-Attiyah told PTI in an interview.
:D

strategically speaking, india needs to keep iran “engaged” on the ipi, and by doing this make sure that this pipeline never sees the day of light, if it is not coming to india. i have a belief, a lot will depend who will form the next government in iran, if it is of the choice of US administration which would like to smoothen ties with the west then this pipeline is very much alive and kicking and if that is not to happen then there is no way on earth this pipeline is seeing the borders of pakistan or for that matter the heartland of pakistan, and in that case all india needs to do is keep both these counties bogged down on our joining and play a truant.
IPI is a lose-lose situation for India. India has kept Iran engaged for 25 years on IPI. I don't see why we wouldn't keep them engaged for another 25 years.

Neo

Pakistan is using a lot of cards against US. Nuclear proliferation, Taliban etc.
Please do not provoke by baiting, you're a mod and should know better. :rolleyes:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Qatar and India have two rate contracts for LNG, one is spot rate and the other long term rates.
Long term rates with Qatar for LNG are fixed for 5-25 years. (at approx 1/3 the price offered by Iran for IPI)
Spot rates are current prevailing rates.

Qatar currently has one of the worlds largest proven reserves, is set to become worlds leading producer of LNG and its long term rates offered to its one of its biggest buyer aka India are one of the cheapest in the world.

Qatar this year has increased the gas supplies to India, on long term contracts by 50% to 7.5million tonnes. Qatar is prompt in increasing supplies or giving emergency supplies as and when requested by government of India.

:D

IPI is a lose-lose situation for India. India has kept Iran engaged for 25 years on IPI. I don't see why we wouldn't keep them engaged for another 25 years.
then i dont see why we should be too worried about ipi not going through, we should just let this linger on and on, and cause a few more labour pains to the pak think tanks!

as for keeping them engaged goes they their own interests in having us engaged, right from isi sponsored talibs to common factor of shia muslims to india playing its part in getting iran to cooperate with US on the WOT to them seeing india as a huge investment opportunity in times to come, so yes the "engaging" game will go on for long time to come, and our interests would be well served.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
the thing is that, in matters of Natural resources, we cant rely on one person all along. Look what happened to Ukraine. I mean there are international obligations etc, but If Iran decides to stop the gas for some reason or the other or If Pakistan too decides then the looser will be India.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Please do not provoke by baiting, you're a mod and should know better. :rolleyes:
Not being disrespectful, but if you feel the posts are inflammatory, then please employ the report feature and/or send me (or any other mod/admin) a PM alongwith.

As for nuclear proliferation card comment...

The news that the Islamabad High Court has released the father of the "Islamic bomb," A.Q. Khan, from house arrest has reignited the question of Pakistani compliance in the interminable war on terrorism.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/12/EDFH15SIR8.DTL

If this is not a card than what is ? .... anyways Neo sahab lets get back on topic.. :)

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Please, Off topic Remarks and Mudslinging Will not be Tolerated

BACK TO TOPIC-i.e Strictly about the IPI Pipeline!

Country flag
Zardari to push for IPI -- without India

http://www.upi.com/Energy_Resources..._for_IPI_--_without_India/UPI-31491236607581/

Zardari to push for IPI -- without India

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan, March 9 (UPI) -- Pakistan plans to purchase natural gas from Iran independent of India through a long-awaited pipeline from the South Pars field, officials said.

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari scheduled a visit to Tehran Tuesday to discuss strengthening economic ties between both countries.

"I think we should have more trade together," Zardari told the Islamic Republic News Agency. "Trade should be supported externally, internally and regionally."

Pakistani news agency PakTribune noted Zardari said those relations would include the purchase of natural gas from the planned Iran-Pakistan-India pipeline, even if India backs out of the project.

Plans for the 1,724-mile IPI pipeline from South Pars have limped along for decades, with concerns raised variably over security of the pipeline route to pricing terms.

Country flag
Iran-Pakistan-India Pipeline

The Young Turks: Iran-Pakistan-India Pipeline.Is there a threat to US interests?

Iran-Pakistan-India Pipeline.Is there a threat to US interests?

Email Print posted by Ryskeldi Satke

05/14/2009 07:06:43 PM EST Google Technorati del.icio.us digg reddit

Iran-Pakistan-India Pipeline by most experts is going to be a huge energy success project for Iran and countries in the region with growing possibility of Chinese involvement soon.India alone is predicted to require 146 billion cubic meters (bcm) of gas per annum by 2025. Iran has the world's second largest oil and gas proven reserves which attracts growing economies such as China and India. There is certainly geopolitical aspect of interests involved in this pipeline from regional players especially chinese with growing energy needs.In this light IPI pipeline could be a huge prosperous deal for Iran and iranians actively engaging with neighbours to get it done.With SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization) strengthening its role in the region Iran is considering a full membership in the near future.Pepe Escobar came up with an article on pipeline

MMuthu

Iran has the world's second largest oil and gas proven reserves which attracts growing economies such as China and India.

Don't worry USA will detect that Iran is developing weapons of mass destruction(Even UN cannot detect anything) and Invade Iran, The Project will be Democratic of Iran(Ruled by US Army's direct command) - Pakistan - India Project soon. There is no threat to US interest.

Country flag
mmuthu so far USA has been succesful in delaying the project but the new Chinese angle and SCO involvement may mean the project has a future??

MMuthu

So US can hit three mangoes with a single stone.

1. They can have all possible Energy sources at their control.
2. Keep a check on China's growth by blocking the energy reserves from them.
3. Keeping the Nuclear ambitions of Iran in their dreams.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles