iPhone vs Android

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
The only widget I have up is the weather. I turned 4G, GPS, and Wifi off. Notifications are set to once a day or when opened. I turned off all key vibration. Screen is set to auto brightness. I downloaded Chrome, it flickers and makes the keyboard disappear being totally unusable. Juice Defender didn't do any better than my manual settings, rather worse actually. I am just trying to set it up so it is as easy to use as my iPhone, and I can't get it done. I didn't need to go to help forums once to learn iOS, but have already done Android help about 3-4 times now. It is running on 4.0.3.
Android is for geeks.It's very easy,too but seems you should use iOS or WP. WP has less apps but it has freedom and nokia is the best.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
You are new to android. Such troubles shouldn't occur at all. btw what handset you are using ?
I figured it out, i was using the connected media as my launcher since it has all three forms in one convenient menu. Why would I want to share it over wifi? retarded but now I have to use three different launcher icons to open video, music or photos = stupid. that 3 select connected media page is what i want as a launcher but no. I am using a pre-paid S2 4G.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I figured it out, i was using the connected media as my launcher since it has all three forms in one convenient menu. Why would I want to share it over wifi? retarded but now I have to use three different launcher icons to open video, music or photos = stupid. that 3 select connected media page is what i want as a launcher but no. I am using a pre-paid S2 4G.
You can assign default media player to video, audio or photos and afterwards it should not jerk any prompts. Generally I install multiple launchers only to test them and then stick to only one by uninstalling others. Share screenshots if still unresolved. Hope you are on stock firmware by Samsung with TouchWhiz 5. I am using S2 as well and it runs like a rabbit.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I can't download anything to my Android unless I use the stock Sync programme so how is it any different than iTunes? At least I can drag and drop files there. Not with this Sync as I have to put it in separate folders, and its connector isn't nearly as fast as the lightning cable.

Oh yeah, and everytime I try to play media in Android, it asks me to do something retarded with Wifi? wtf??
You are new to android. Such troubles shouldn't occur at all. btw what handset you are using ?
What nrj said. I don't know what sync function you're talking about, you just go to the Android Market (or any other market you want), and dl apps and then install them. You can even DL them off the internet on your PC, transfer them to a SD card or hook up your phone through a USB cable and then install them on your phone.

Android is supremely open and free, unlike iOS.

Although my new favourite will probably be BB10, cuz it gives me the ability to run both BB and Android apps. Looking forward to the Q10.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I mean I can't download from my PC without the sync. I just want to drag and drop onto the phone. I have no problem with the Playstore.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I mean I can't download from my PC without the sync. I just want to drag and drop onto the phone. I have no problem with the Playstore.
Sure you can. It's just like a usb drive. Check "My computer", your phone should show up as a disk drive. You don't need to use the sync function if you don't want to.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Sure you can. It's just like a usb drive. Check "My computer", your phone should show up as a disk drive. You don't need to use the sync function if you don't want to.
Maybe I don't have the connect to PC settings correct? It doesn't show up as an external drive. Win 7 btw

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Maybe I don't have the connect to PC settings correct? It doesn't show up as an external drive. Win 7 btw
It's called mass storage mode.Just open your notification center and try to connect via MTP.If not then select the 2nd option and it'll install your drivers again and after then disconnect and reconnect with 1st optionagain.It'll work probably.Or use kies if you're using Samsung phone, it's just like iTunes but mass storage mode is way better.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It's called mass storage mode.Just open your notification center and try to connect via MTP.If not then select the 2nd option and it'll install your drivers again and after then disconnect and reconnect with 1st optionagain.It'll work probably.Or use kies if you're using Samsung phone, it's just like iTunes but mass storage mode is way better.
Ohh... okay. I needed to mount as a disk drive. I see my SD card there. If I drag files into it, where can I find them?

Tell me if this is geeky, I bought an extended battery and a signal booster antenna. :pound:

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Ohh... okay. I needed to mount as a disk drive. I see my SD card there. If I drag files into it, where can I find them? "¨"¨Tell me if this is geeky, I bought an extended battery and a signal booster antenna. :pound:
"¨"¨"©Use file manager in your phone.You can find out your files easily if you don't put them in any folder and you can open the files from there.Even apps like videoplayer can show you files as per their location if you put them in different folder or not."©And that thing is geeky and costly.Battery life in android sux.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
"¨"¨"©Use file manager in your phone.You can find out your files easily if you don't put them in any folder and you can open the files from there.Even apps like videoplayer can show you files as per their location if you put them in different folder or not."©And that thing is geeky and costly.Battery life in android sux.
The extended battery and back-plate was only €9. The booster antenna was a bit more at €40 but it should give me enough signal at my desk for it to be usable. This battery promises to triple life, but it is going to double thickness so this will have to leave my shirt pocket.

I am stoked on this antenna, it should fix my weak signal at work. Just give me a couple more bars! :laugh:

tharikiran

Country flag
I bought a Micromax Canvas 2 Android phone with dual SIM. I am loving it.I use a iPhone 4 along with that.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I bought a Micromax Canvas 2 Android phone with dual SIM. I am loving it.I use a iPhone 4 along with that.
Can you tell me how your plan works on a dual sim phone? Do you get service on both at the same time or do you have to manually switch? Do you have one regular plan SIM and one pre-paid? Isn't it just easier to get roaming? What is the real purpose of two SIMS and isn't it more expensive having two carriers?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Can you tell me how your plan works on a dual sim phone? Do you get service on both at the same time or do you have to manually switch? Do you have one regular plan SIM and one pre-paid? Isn't it just easier to get roaming? What is the real purpose of two SIMS and isn't it more expensive having two carriers?
One personal number, one office number. One carrier has cheap calls to family and another is an old number you don't want to lose. There are just so many reasons to have two SIM cards.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
One personal number, one office number. One carrier has cheap calls to family and another is an old number you don't want to lose. There are just so many reasons to have two SIM cards.
Isn't it cheaper just to have multiple numbers on VoiP apps and port your old number? I have three numbers over VoiP and my GSM carrier number. Get a good data plan with enough bandwidth to make VoiP calls seems like the cheaper option. My minutes are more than I could ever use.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Isn't it cheaper just to have multiple numbers on VoiP apps and port your old number? I have three numbers over VoiP and my GSM carrier number. Get a good data plan with enough bandwidth to make VoiP calls seems like the cheaper option. My minutes are more than I could ever use.
3G is relatively expensive in India, 3GB for Rs. 650 and 12GB for Rs. 1500 and you don't always (most of the time) the promised speed, well i use my mobile for calls onlee.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
3G is relatively expensive in India, 3GB for Rs. 650 and 12GB for Rs. 1500 and you don't always (most of the time) the promised speed, well i use my mobile for calls onlee.
$12USD for 3GB, $27 for 12GB... i was paying $56 for a 9GB 3G card in Guangzhou and only 2GB roaming, no text or MMS. Speed was good enough to use VoiP but sucks at streaming. The best deal in France is Vivendi's SFR paying $100 for unlimited talk, text and 6GB LTE. The LTE Mifi I use is $42 for 4GB with $12 per GB after. You guys have it good.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
$12USD for 3GB, $27 for 12GB... i was paying $56 for a 9GB 3G card in Guangzhou and only 2GB roaming, no text or MMS. Speed was good enough to use VoiP but sucks at streaming. The best deal in France is Vivendi's SFR paying $100 for unlimited talk, text and 6GB LTE. The LTE Mifi I use is $42 for 4GB with $12 per GB after. You guys have it good.
$100 ? :wtfcat:
So i was under wrong impression and confused 3G/4G (LTE) rates with Broadband.
In India call rates are 1p per second, i.e less than €0.01 per minute. :taunt:

PS: I don't think comparison is fair, France is a high income country compared to lower-middle income status of India.

Last edited:

tharikiran

Country flag
Right now I have inserted only one sim card as I have another phone...the iphone.
When you insert 2 SIM's, one is active and the other is in active-standby mode i.e, if you get a call on that other number, you will be able to pick that call and the number which is active will disengage.
Roaming across India is still not free. They keep postponing it.Now, I am hearing, it will be end of 2013.

People, especially software guys need to have 2 SIM's because we end up leaving our home states and end up getting deployed in another state for projects and work.It becomes imperative to have 2 SIMS to save on interstate calls, receive local calls in the new state. Because in roaming both receiving calls and making calls get charged.

Prepaid is damn cheap in India.It's roaming that hurts.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles