Introspection in Times of Islamophobia

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by utubekhiladi, Dec 30, 2011.

1. utubekhiladi

utubekhiladi The Preacher Elite Member

March 29, 2010

Introspection in Times of Islamophobia Growing Islamophobia: Do We Muslims Too Owe Some Responsibility? And What Can We Do About It? Sultan Shahin's (the editor of newageislam.com) speech at the 13th session of UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on16 March, 2010.

UN Human Rights Council
    Thirteenth session

Agenda Item 5: General Debate: Human Rights Bodies and Mechanism
    Oral Statement by: Sultan Shahin
    On behalf of: International Club for Peace Research

Mr. President,
    I would like to confine myself to reflecting on the problems of religious minorities, particularly Muslim minorities who are facing xenophobia and related forms of intolerance today in an atmosphere of widespread Islamophobia. We Muslims are also complaining of an attempt to encourage Islamophobia. The French ban on veils and Swiss ban on minarets has further vitiated the atmosphere. We do not know for sure how much of this is deliberate as a sort of anti-Islam crusade as we Muslims allege and how much is a paranoid reaction to growing radicalism, extremism and exclusivism in Islamic societies.

But I find a note of introspection on the part of us Muslims and Muslim governments completely missing in the continuing debate. I intend to do precisely that today. While we Muslims demand, and rightly so, the freedom to freely practise and propagate our religion in the non-Muslim majority countries, we do not seem to worry about the plight of religious minorities living in Muslim-majority lands.

That Muslim societies in general have radicalised over the last decades cannot be denied. This has been a direct result of tens of billions of petrodollars having been spent in promoting a rigid, obscurantist, desiccated version of Islam, shorn of all its beauty and bounty. Preachers of what I can only call "petrodollar Islam" have gone around the world asking Muslims to develop a separate identity that distinguishes them not only in the practice of Islamic prayer rituals but also looks and apparel.

The phenomenal rise in Muslim women wearing hijab and an assortment of veils or men growing what is called an Islamic beard is no accident. Discrimination against religious minorities in Muslim-majority countries has grown. Anti-blasphemy laws, for instance, have been routinely used to harass and commit acts of violence against religious minorities. The Report of the Special Rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief, Asma Jahangir, mentioned the case of Christians and the minority Muslim sect of Ahmadis who are continually harassed on baseless allegations of blasphemy in Pakistan despite the government's stated commitment to fulfil its international obligations. One almost routinely comes across in the media these days headlines like the following emanating from Muslim-majority countries:

Saudi man kills daughter for converting to Christianity
    Two Sikhs beheaded in Pakistan for refusing to convert to Islam
    'Scared Pakistani Hindus fleeing to India'
    Malaysia Strips Hindus of Rights
    Indonesia: Religious TV jeopardizing pluralism

And so on.

Mr. President,
    Another issue that may be fuelling Islamophobia is the widespread Islam-supremacism in the Muslim community. God told us in the Quran that Islam is not a new religion; it is the same religion that God has been sending to this planet through tens of thousands of previous prophets. We were told that the Holy Quran is merely a reiteration of the messages that were sent before. We were specifically told not to fall in the trap of considering ourselves the chosen people. But we did not listen. We have developed an ideology of Islam-supremacism, contrary to all Islamic teachings. We have developed a theory that Muslims alone will go to Heaven, all others are going to be consigned to Hell, no matter how righteous. Obviously anyone who harbours a feeling of superiority over others cannot possibly expect to have good relations with them.

Then we have allowed a section of Muslims to spread among us a version of exclusivist Islam that wants us to get away from each and every pre-Islamic tradition. Pre-Islamic traditions like Hajj and veneration of Kaaba sharif are intrinsic to Islam itself. But we are told that we should behave and look different from followers of all other religions and forego all our local cultural traditions.

A derivative of this same petrodollar Islam is what is known as Jihadi Islam. This Jihadi Islam is taking away our youth, brainwashing them and turning them into human bombs. It is using some verses of the Holy Quran as weapons of war. We all know that the Prophet had to fight existential battles to safeguard Islam. These verses were revealed then to buttress the war effort. But they are not meant for us to act upon today.

While the Jihadi Islam is using these verses to brainwash our youth to following these dictates to the letter even today, the petrodollar Islam helps the process by saying repeatedly that every word in the Quran is of equally universal significance implying that the call to war contained there has the same value as the call to prayer, for instance, or the call to righteousness. Apparently the petrodollar Islam and the Jihadi Islam are two sides of the same coin.

We mainstream Muslims are silent spectators; we are allowing both of them to devastate our societies, create permanent fissures in our relations with other communities. We are allowing them to suck the spiritual content out of our religion and fill it with a desiccated, dry, desert version of Islam in which there is no room for anything that is cheerful or beautiful. One of the attributes of God is beauty, but there is only ugliness and strife in the hearts of petrodollar Islamists.

Mr. President,
    Mainstream Islam is still mainstream. These sections are still small, though with the infusion of massive money power they have grown quite aggressive lately. It is time, we the Muslim people and our governments stopped merely demanding rights from the international community but also thought of what we can ourselves contribute to fulfilling the UN ideals of establishing peace and safeguarding the human rights of all peoples around the world. It is time we decided to take the Jihadi bull by its horns.

Time for dilly-dallying is long past. We will have to go back to our roots, our Quranic roots, our philosophical roots, our greatest saints and their teachings. We will have to once again inculcate the broadmindedness of our saints, the generosity and forgiveness, the attitude of gratitude that was the hallmark of our prophet. It has now become a question of safeguarding not only our religion but our children, our youth from being whisked away to Jihadi camps and active and sleeper cells. The very least we can do to safeguard our own youth as much as the human rights of entire humanity as well as world peace is to explain to our people loudly and repeatedly:

1. That we are not a chosen people; Islam-supremacism is nonsense and that the ummah of all prophets are equal in the eyes of God who will judge them according to their own faith, not ours.

2. That the war verses in the Holy Quran were meant for wars being fought then and do not apply to situations today.

3. That Islam is not the exclusivist religion that the Petrodollar Islam is preaching. It is a religion of co-existence encapsulated in the verse lakum deenakum waleya deen (For you be your religion and for me mine) and La Ikraha fid Deen (There can be no compulsion in religion).

4. That it is dangerous to press for the establishment of Sharia laws in non-Muslim lands. India is the only non-Muslim majority country in the world that allows Muslims to organise their family life according to their own personal laws. But other societies are not prepared for it. Muslim countries themselves do not allow religious minorities such freedom. So making a case for that in Europe and other countries creates further Islamophobia in the present atmosphere in which some fear of Islam and Muslims should not be difficult to understand, though of course, all governments should try to fight it and protect legitimate rights of the Muslim community.

5. That religious freedom is indivisible. If we as a minority community need freedom, it becomes our duty to also fight for the religious freedom of minorities in Muslim lands.

6. That Islam itself teaches us Ijtihad, rethinking, so that we can adjust to the newer realities of changing times.

The South Asian: Introspection in Times of Islamophobia

blank_quest, Tomcat, rock127 and 5 others like this.
  3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Absolutely bang on the money.

4. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

countries like pakistan are helping to increase this islamophobia with their "we are saviors of islam and we have nuclear bomb" attitude...they speak as if they will bomb the whole earth for islam...they will oppose when france bans veil but will support when china does it...they will support kashmiri muslims but will call ughurs and balochis as manner-less and inhuman....

rock127 and utubekhiladi like this.
  5. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

The one point this article misses to write down is that if Muslims want to freely propagate their religion in non-Muslim majority nations they need to allow the same freedom to minority religions in Muslim majority nations.

Galaxy, amitkriit and parijataka like this.
  6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Very sane and honest appraisal!

If all Muslims believed in it, the world would be a different place.

Tshering22 and utubekhiladi like this.
  7. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Not happening atleast in the next 50 years..

Probably by that time I will be gone.

8. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

It all changed soon after the Prophets death itself Sir. It became more about power than religion. Religion but became just a tool.

9. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

Self appointed Muslim leaders want their followers to remain blind, deaf and dumb. Religion is a personal matter and nobody including the god-men and mullahs must be allowed to exploit it for money and power.

If God really exist, it doesn't need to be saved by us. If God is really so powerful then it's message cannot be destroyed.

Those who believe that universe was created by the God for Human beings are the biggest fools. Universe has existed before us, and it will continue to exist after we are gone.

The Messiah and utubekhiladi like this.
  10. Ray

As I have always stated the spiritual became temporal.

And Islam became a tool for internecine infighting and all this shenanigans that one see is nothing but to keep that fight ongoing and involve a war against others, so as to show that one sect or the other is the real inheritors of the Prophet and the others sects are mere usurpers and Pretenders.

The latest are the Wahabis supercharged with Petrodollars.

I would not be surprised that the House of Saud is actually behind all this chaos and is merely practising Taquiyya or Religious Deception that is allowed in Islam!

11. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

Bang on target but would jehadi thekadaar of Islam would pay heed to it? I don't think so, their aim is ONLY to take civilization backwards and convert all humans on the earth because "Islam is the only way to God" crap.Unfortunately an extermist Islamic country has our borders with us and today it's the land creating Islamphobia by creating terrorists.
    A fatwa would be declared agianst the article writer and he would run for life.

12. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

Nice article and very well written. It mentions the very problem Islamic society has today as a community. If all Muslims realized this, the world would be a very welcoming and peaceful place.

I earlier thought Pakistan was the only source of problem; but now things are different.

But now, there are many more Pakistans coming forward:

- Maldives
    - Aceh province in Indonesia.
    - Malaysia's increasing radicalization.
    - Bangladesh's oppression of Buddhists and Hindus.
    - South Thailand's Muslim community attacking Buddhist shrines and killing Thai Hindus.
    - Somalia's infamous Al-Shabbab.
    - Afghanistan's xenophobic and fundamentalist population (ALL Afghans including "India friendly" ones who contributed to Islamizing a Buddhist/Hindu Gandhara).
    - Filipino Islamic community's radicalization.
    - Saudi's sick supremacist mentality.

So removing Pakistan may not be the solution alone.

Earlier in 50s and 60s and 70s, there was not Right wing front in either Europe, India or Americas. For the first time, right wing parties have won with a thumping majority in Europe, owed to Islamic aggression into their societies. Switzerland, Belgium, France, Netherlands... you name it. They all see the common problem with Muslim community's refusal to blend in even to reasonable levels if not become 100% gora minded.

This article speaks the reality that everyone has to realize, especially Islamic communities in non-Muslim nations. Otherwise, things will only get more and more (unfortunately) aggressive and negative.

parijataka likes this.
  13. Ray

Maldives, which depends heavily on tourism to keep afloat, has stopped hotels from having spas since the Opposition Party claimed that it was UnIslamic and was basically for prostitution.

It seems that the Muslims are seized with a sex phobia and are secret sex hungered folks with a dog in the manger attitude that imagines all sorts of evil being committed everywhere!

14. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

^^ I myself had a rather nasty encounter in Maldives sometime ago when I was there for a holiday with my friends for a week. The beach was calm, it was a fine early morning and I was meditating in a padmasana posture. My buddies were a few meters away from me at the edge of the seashore when some Maldivian guys sprayed sand on me, mimicking and taunting the meditation pose and making lewd signs as if to insult our culture.

Had a nasty fight with the losers. After we were done with them, two of them were being dragged by their hands as a bloodied mess while remaining 8 or 9 were shrieking threats and stuff (at least that's what it sounded like to me and my pals). One of my guys were mildly bruised and we were expecting a gang attack and prepared for it. However, nothing serious happened after that. But that incident prompted me to research on Maldivian mentality and culture.

I was shocked to realize that these guys would make Pakis look as liberal as Brazilian girls! Maldivians think of themselves as some descendants of oil sheikhs and think that they are a great favor to the rest of the world. So much so that most of the firangi tourist resorts are secluded from main population centers (Maldives has a rather uncomfortable record of infidelity from girls as they seek to have a "good time" with foreign men and are severely punished according to sharia's inhuman laws).

After that, I made it a point to inform as many Indians to stick to Lakshadweep for a beach visit and never ever try going to Maldives. That place is sick!

15. agentperry

agentperry Senior Member Senior Member

thats a lot tshering,

16. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

@Tshering - should have let the PLOTE screw the hell outta them..:lol:

17. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

over religious countries are most backward and maldives is on same path..
    indeed i will choose lakshadweep or andaman..thanks for advice :)

18. Ray

Most people think of God especially when they are in trouble and hence insecure.

Those who pray daily do so with religious fervour or as a routine and it is benign.

However, those who wear religion on their sleeve and demand it of others to follow their way of extreme religion, are people who are totally insecure and are seized with a siege mentality.

This is applicable across religions.

HeinzGud likes this.