Interview with Arun Shourie by Madhu Trehan

panduranghari

A comment on Newslaundry-

Madhuji"¦..the internet Hindu is very learned , his or her aggression has to do with inequality of all religions in a country where majority is accused of not doing enough despite getting his/her land mutilated in the name of religion, yet the same country could not protect its citizens who are of the indigenous religion from J&K. The last great Hindu kingdom of Vijayanagar could not hold its ground because the last of the Vijayanagar king raised a large force among Muslims as a part of his army(a secular idea), just in time the entire Muslim force defected to the invading Bahamani kings,( this is not my invention but historic fact). So always asking Hindu's to take the slap as you have put in the analogy while talking to Mr Arun shouri will not work in this unequal world. India is defined by the boundaries in the Hindu religion text"¦"¦and in every form we see God, but, if someone comes here and says there is only one way and it's my way the Internet Hindu doesn't like, it doesn't mean he wants to go and harass a Muslim or a Christian, but he reserves the right to rebut and would like his co-Indians of other religions to believe in plurality of this nation.

For god's sake don't assume that Internet Hindu is unread/ill read or intellectually inferior, perhaps time for Hindu's to question the division of this country on religious grounds if the treatment expected is the same even in the fragmented country.

Anyway an excellent interview with Mr Arun Shouri,! Perhaps in democracy peoples view matter"¦glad BJP Executive vetoed Mr Vajpayee"¦.perhaps Mr Vajpayee was too concern of his image!

Enjoyed every minute of the interview. Shourie is a thinker who can be placed in the league of intellectual kshatriyas like Ram Swarup and Sita Ram Goel.

BTW, Madhu Trehan, your definition of internet hindus is very narrow. You have abusive people from every group or community. Ironically, the term 'internet Hindu' itself is an abusive ad hominem attack on hindus. Sagraika formulated this term as she was not able to face the questions of hindus about the anti-Hindu bias of media in the name of 'secularism'. It is like how the critics of Islam are attacked as 'Islamophobes' by those who are not able to answer them.

As for answering your questions to 'internet hindus', I would like to requote Arun Shourie, "If you are secular, then be secular" i.e., stick to the term as it is.

Few points regrding how I want a 'secular' Indian govt to be.
1. Treat religions equally like how a real secular country should treat them. I don't want a ban on cow slaughter and also I want the hatred inciting verses of Quran against non-Muslims to be banned.
2. Allow free criticism of all the religions which in my opinion is the foundation of secularism.
3. Realise that secularism in India works from bottom up and not like top down as in western secular countries. India is what it is because of its Hindu heritage and its values which shaped its consciousness through millenia.
4. And, realise the difference between Indic religions which are very personal and Abrahmic religions which are inherently political. So, unchecked missonary activities can be very detrimental as documented by Shri Rajiv Malhotra in its Breaking India.

sob

Mod
Country flag
A very good interview, I just wish all the television interviewers would take a lesson from Madhu Trehan, on how to conduct an interview.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Interesting and thought provoking.

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
India needs some great modern formulators of the dharma religion.As arun shourie points out there has been very few in the last 50 years.Only 2 to be exact who made a lasting impact.Acharya Rajneesh/Osho ,he synthesized hindu dharma with other dharmic religions like zen,buddhism,taoism etc and swami chinmayananda who tried to reform hinduism.

More are needed!

panduranghari

India needs some great modern formulators of the dharma religion.As arun shourie points out there has been very few in the last 50 years.Only 2 to be exact who made a lasting impact.Acharya Rajneesh/Osho ,he synthesized hindu dharma with other dharmic religions like zen,buddhism,taoism etc and swami chinmayananda who tried to reform hinduism.

More are needed!
We need to make an effort to understand 'dharma'. Why wait for someone else.

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
We need to make an effort to understand 'dharma'. Why wait for someone else.
Yup but the path is always created by people who are intellectuals or peoples of brahmin mentality.In reality there are only few peoples who can learn things by themselves but for the majority people need someone who will show the path.
For ex: Our rishis were those intellectuals who created the spiritual path for people to walk.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
up but the path is always created by people who are intellectuals or peoples of brahmin mentality
Swami Vivekananda was not a Brahman.

Narendra Nath Datta.

He was a key figure in the introduction of Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the western world, and was credited with raising interfaith awareness, bringing Hinduism to the status of a major world religion in the late 19th century. He was a major force in the revival of Hinduism in India, and contributed to the notion of nationalism in colonial India.

Last edited:

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
Swami Vivekananda was not a Brahman.

Narendra Nath Datta.

He was a key figure in the introduction of Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the western world, and was credited with raising interfaith awareness, bringing Hinduism to the status of a major world religion in the late 19th century. He was a major force in the revival of Hinduism in India, and contributed to the notion of nationalism in colonial India.
You didn't understood me.
I said people of 'brahmin mentality',not brahmin.
Brahmin basically means who is an intellectual..so chanakya was a brahmin because he was a policymaker.Vishswamitra being a kshatriya by birth became a brahmin.
Dr. Ambdedkar a born dalit can be called a brahmin.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Few points regrding how I want a 'secular' Indian govt to be.
1. Treat religions equally like how a real secular country should treat them
Real secularism is oblivious and unattending to religions. Instead of vainly trying to appease all religions, it doesn't consider religion as a policy factor at all.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
No offense meant but Sagarika Ghosh sounds so shallow, pseduo-intellectual and sometimes blasphamously stupid. Again no offense meant :dude:
Real secularism is oblivious and unattending to religions. Instead of vainly trying to appease all religions, it doesn't consider religion as a policy factor at all.
Consider the US constitution for example. It quite firmly and clearly separates the church and the state.
This was however not the case in Europe and you see despite of US being the blue eyed favorite destination-cum-hit list for all (be it the IT wala or the terrorist),
it is the European countries infested the most by religious tensions - when compared among the entire west.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles