Intelligence Bureau plays chinese checker, proposes to ban 'We Chat'

huaxia rox

Intelligence Bureau plays chinese checker, proposes to ban 'We Chat' - Economic Times

NEW DELHI: The Intelligence Bureau (IB) has proposed a ban on Chinese mobile messengers including We Chat following concerns that proliferation of such services can pose a threat to national security.

Blocking access to such websites in accordance with the licensing conditions governing Internet service providers is one way of checking them, the country's internal intelligence agency pointed out at the second meeting of the inter-agency operational working group on June 4.

According to an internal note reviewed by ET , deputy national security advisor Nehchal Sandhu asked IB to discuss the matter with the home ministry and the telecom department to devise a methodology to block access to such sites.

We Chat, an instant mobile messaging application, claims a worldwide subscriber base of 300 million and competes with popular mobile applications such as Whatsapp and BlackBerry messenger. With revenue from SMS on the decline, telecom operators have been exploring tie-ups with such messengers to shore up their data revenue.

Sandhu also proposed to limit the access of various ministries and departments to Internet so as to make government's communication more secure. "A limited number of interface points could be effectively protected. The DRDO has floated a paper on the subject," he said.

huaxia rox

Re: Intelligence Bureau plays chinese checker, proposes to ban 'We Cha

Chinese Text Messaging Program WeChat Has 50 Million Users Abroad, 400 Million Users Overall

Photo: Tech in Asia
Parineeti Chopra and Varun Dhawan add star power to WeChat in India.

Tencent's WeChat, a Chinese mobile text and voice messaging application, is taking off outside of China – the software now boasts more than 50 million registered overseas users, according to Tech in Asia. Meanwhile, its overall user base has been growing exponentially as well, topping 400 million users worldwide.

Tencent is the originator of China's most popular instant messaging program, QQ, and introduced the now ubiquitous WeChat app in 2011. Since then, WeChat has rapidly gained popularity both within China and abroad. In fact, the software, free to use, has become so popular that China's telecommunication companies tried to chastise Tencent for taking away their text messaging revenue, Tech in Asia reported.

With an eye on the international market, WeChat has been made available in English, Indonesian, Spanish, Portuguese, Thai, Vietnamese and Russian. The software has been especially successful in Mexico, Singapore, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines. On the back of this strong growth, Tencent posted impressive revenues in the first quarter of 2013 – $2.161 billion, an 11.5 percent increase from Q4 2012, according to Shanghaiist. The company is now considering adding gaming services, which was a big part of Tencent's success with QQ's auxillary products, to the WeChat app.

EXPERT

GOOD MOVE....:toilet::toilet::toilet::toilet:
:toilet::toilet::toilet:

drkrn

why not banning uce web

nimo_cn

Country flag

What about other IM applications? India seems not concerned.

Banning is not the best way, developing one of your is.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

mikhail

Country flag

don't worry about it as i am quite sure that our chaps are already working on it and as we have the 2nd largest trained software professionals in the world i am extremely optimistic about their success in developing a software similar to the "WeChat" software in the near future:cool2:.

t_co

Given that Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft have been proven to freely hand over foreign data to the US government, why not ban GMail, Skype, and YMail as well?

rockdog

Country flag

India's IT filed is outsourcing based, and gained lots of reputation, but in fact it still with very limited local market and the level is quite as low grade developing nations like nations in African, if you compare their internet user ratio, or Mobile phone penetration rate.

China has 39 Internet companies list in oversea stock market like Nasdaq or New York Stock Exchange, i don't think India has such a lot.

Plus world's top8 Internet companies by 2012, 3 of them are Chinese companies:
Google 2260.10
Amazon 1150.30
Ebay 673.10
Facebook 600.32
Tencent 597.04
Alibaba 400.00
Baidu 308.00
Yahoo 223.40

And China's IT related GDP is 4 times than India's, just same gap our GDP between two nations. I think the Gap between China and India on IT field is same as other fields...

It's quite nature and normal, more Chinese products no matter software or hardware get popular in India, from telecom equipment, mobile phone, wireless route to QQ, UC web, WeChat or even more.

Last edited:

t_co

India's IT filed is outsourcing based, and gained lots of reputation, but in fact it still with very limited local market and the level is quite as low grade developing nations like nations in African, if you compare their internet user ratio, or Mobile phone penetration rate.

China has 39 Internet companies list in oversea stock market like Nasdaq or New York Stock Exchange, i don't think India has such a lot.

Plus world's top8 Internet companies by 2012, 3 of them are Chinese companies:
Google 2260.10
Amazon 1150.30
Ebay 673.10
Facebook 600.32
Tencent 597.04
Alibaba 400.00
Baidu 308.00
Yahoo 223.40

And China's IT related GDP is 4 times than India's, just same gap our GDP between two nations. I think the Gap between China and India on IT field is same as other fields...

It's quite nature and normal, more Chinese products no matter software or hardware get popular in India, from telecom equipment, mobile phone, wireless route to QQ, UC web, WeChat or even more.
You have to understand the mentality on this forum -

A normal person sees a successful Chinese app or web company = "hey, this is pretty nice, let's give it a try"

A DFIer sees a successful Chinese app or web company = "WHAT? CHINI BASTARDS! WE NEED TO HURT THIS APP AS MUCH AS WE CAN! BOYCOTT IT, BAN IT!"

sob

Mod
Country flag

My daughter introduced me to WeChat and I must say it is very impressive. Already I am seeing it becoming very popular amongst college kids.

One feature which is becoming very popular is the voice chat, it is almost like using a Walkie Talkie.

If the NSA has some concrete proof against WeChat then they should put it forward and immediately ban it, otherwise just because it is becoming very popular and it is of Chinese origin, it would be a very stupid idea to ban it. Had it not been such a serious and idiotic idea I would have found it very comical.

We are not a Banana republic that anybody can come and play with us.

If we have a problem then we should take it up with Uncle Obama about NSA spying and tapping of the G 20 meet where our leaders were also present.

Re: IB plays chinese checker, proposes to ban 'We Chat"

This is not a special case, previously also BlackBerry maker Research In Motion (RIM) was forced to set up servers in India (Mumbai) in order to intercept BBM messages and even before that Finnish mobile handset firm Nokia was also ordered to set up servers in India to intercept messages on their messenger in order to address the security concerns of the nation and to complain that "We Chat" being a Chinese app therefore it is suspicious in the eyes of the GOI and thats why it is being banned is a silly statement to make......The rule is simple enough to understand either you address our security concerns and honestly comply with all our regulation or be ready face the consequences.

Last edited:

You have to understand the mentality on this forum -

A normal person sees a successful Chinese app or web company = "hey, this is pretty nice, let's give it a try"

A DFIer sees a successful Chinese app or web company = "WHAT? CHINI BASTARDS! WE NEED TO HURT THIS APP AS MUCH AS WE CAN! BOYCOTT IT, BAN IT!"
with this comment i got your mentality instead....

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Whatsup is cool, we have been using that.

If things are not in our national interest we can ban them.

huaxia rox

don't worry about it as i am quite sure that our chaps are already working on it and as we have the 2nd largest trained software professionals in the world i am extremely optimistic about their success in developing a software similar to the "WeChat" software in the near future:cool2:.
when you claim 'we have the 2nd largest trained software professionals in the world' can any indian software ring a bell here in prc as prc is one of the biggest software consumers and people like me do use micro soft and apple productions all the time.

then we can know when india bans chinese product what indian produts prc can ban.

Tolaha

when you claim 'we have the 2nd largest trained software professionals in the world' can any indian software ring a bell here in prc as prc is one of the biggest software consumers and people like me do use micro soft and apple productions all the time.

then we can know when india bans chinese product what indian produts prc can ban.
if you use "micro soft" and "apple productions" all the time, then you shouldn't have any doubt on the claim that India has a large number of software professionals. I hope the pirated ones do have the names of developers written in Chinese?

mikhail

Country flag

the problem with you chinis are that you all are master thieves and liars straight from your mother's womb(please don't get offended as i am stating the cold real fact only).you never use the real version of any software and rely only on the pirated ones to get your job done,thats why you don't hear much about the Indian Software companies.take my advise and start using the real ones and i am sure that you'll hear a lot about us.
btw i am sorry to say but your English suck,so please try to learn some basic english as most of us find usually it extremely difficult to understand the meaning of your posts.no wonder with this poor knowledge in English you won't get a job in any MNC outside China,chao!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles