INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
If I may...

At least IA and DRDO have common redressal mechanism I.e Raksha mantri.

I now feel sorry for private players, they must be having hell managing these changes in IA requirements. Those stories will not even come out, to keep the customer happy.

Pvt. players will also take their sweet revenge when ever they can, they'll just say "good idea sir, these changes will just cost you a little extra". I know this because I do this everyday(not defence sector of-course).

Frankly after our conversation, the news defence procurement rules 2016 makes more sense now. Thanks ...

Yeah, especially for MSMEs who may have good concepts. Thankfully, gov is now willing to fund up to 80% of the costs of new programs.

kr9

Country flag
Hi,

Why cannot IMI Tavor be the standard AR for the Indian Army?
Because it costs 2000$ and we cannot equip our soldiers with 1.38 lakh Rupee rifles.
But it has performance to match, that is agreed.

One low cost option would be to manufacture it in India; but the quality standards may vary. Besides, I think the IWI is raking in quite a revenue because of the Tavor and is not likely to let its production go to any other country soon.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian Army requirement restrict bullpup designs for many factors, One is that bullpup design are not efficient during snap shooting that follows is about shooting quickly after you have positively identified your target compare to traditional design, The reason one do not see any bullpup in trails held for foreign rifles ..

TAR-21 is a bullpup design, It was chosen for paratroopers as it is short and easier to carry along with other essentials, Regulars do not have such limitations ..

Hi,
Why cannot IMI Tavor be the standard AR for the Indian Army?
Because it costs 2000$ and we cannot equip our soldiers with 1.38 lakh Rupee rifles..

kr9

Country flag
Indian Army requirement restrict bullpup designs for many factors, One is that bullpup design are not efficient during snap shooting that follows is about shooting quickly after you have positively identified your target compare to traditional design, The reason one do not see any bullpup in trails held for foreign rifles ..

TAR-21 is a bullpup design, It was chosen for paratroopers as it is short and easier to carry along with other essentials, Regulars do not have such limitations ..
@Kunal Biswas , @Shaitan , @sayareakd

Sir, if the IA is indeed looking for a foreign MCWS:--

There were reports that the AK-12 would be a modular rifle with calibre interchangeability (including 6.8mm, an LMG configuration and in the 7.62x51mm NATO with longer barrels for marksmen).

If Russia agrees to let us make it and supply it to our troops, (it is a big 'IF'), in your opinion, would you consider the AK-12 as being viable for the Indian Army. Or more importantly, shouldn't the army have considered it along with the other rifles in the original tender (being an AK, it would have passed the tests that the other rifles failed)??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In the context of 'IF', Army brass loves Israeli Galil which failed, Galil is much better than anything Russian have to put before, Interestingly its much like our 1B1 and both are inspired by AK ..

AK12 faced lots of criticism within Russian media and Army, Its not ready back in 2011 nor today and still not yet inducted to replace Russian AK74 in mass, The reason it did not took part in trails ..

@Kunal Biswas , @Shaitan , @sayareakd

Sir, if the IA is indeed looking for a foreign MCWS:--

There were reports that the AK-12 would be a modular rifle with calibre interchangeability (including 6.8mm, an LMG configuration and in the 7.62x51mm NATO with longer barrels for marksmen).

If Russia agrees to let us make it and supply it to our troops, (it is a big 'IF'), in your opinion, would you consider the AK-12 as being viable for the Indian Army. Or more importantly, shouldn't the army have considered it along with the other rifles in the original tender (being an AK, it would have passed the tests that the other rifles failed)??

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
There is been no update about that enviable rifle. I think its the much talked LMG. I hope it is an LMG indeed.
I am talking about this new rifle. Does anybody has any idea?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...y-new-assault-rifles/articleshow/51031616.cms

"The assault rifle is going to be the owner's pride and neighbour's envy," said Prabhakar while addressing the NADP function. Later, speaking to newspersons, he said that the process is at an advanced stage. "The tests were successful and it is hoped that the Army will accept it," he said.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I am talking about this new rifle. Does anybody has any idea?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...y-new-assault-rifles/articleshow/51031616.cms

"The assault rifle is going to be the owner's pride and neighbour's envy," said Prabhakar while addressing the NADP function. Later, speaking to newspersons, he said that the process is at an advanced stage. "The tests were successful and it is hoped that the Army will accept it," he said.
I think they were talking about MCIWS here.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Army chief seeks opinion on modification of Insas

The infantry men in the Indian Army currently use 5.56 mm Insas rifles since 1994-95, despite several problems associated with the weapon such as jamming, overheating, magazines getting cracked in cold climate and automatic firing if the weapon falls to the ground by mistake. Though the Ordnance Factory Board claimed to have rectified several of these problems, the army remained unhappy with the weapon and looked for an alternative abroad. But with every foreign supplier failing to meet the technical criterion, the army is now left with little option but to fall back on a modified Insas. At the five-day army commander’s conference that gets underway here on Monday, Gen Singh asked his colleagues to share their opinions on the proposed modified INSAS before fixing its specifications, sources said. The Defence Research and Development Organisation, too, suggested improving the Insas. The internal debate within the army on the calibre of the infantry weapons comes a month after Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar informed the Parliament that the Ordnance Factory Board has undertaken a project to develop yet another 5.56 mm calibre Insas rifles, with foldable butt, less than four kg weight and a range of 450 mt. The army has earlier proposed rifles with interchangeable barrels for both 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm rounds for close combats and conventional armed conflicts. This, however, seems to have been ruled out for the time being. With no replacement of Insas in sight for another two-three years, the army now has the option to suggest modification of Insas rifles, sources said. The initial requirement would be upwards of 60,000 pieces and the numbers are expected to rise.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/542766/army-chief-seeks-opinion-modification.htm

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
A new system takes no less than 10 years to be distributed completely in an Army whose size is in millions.

There is still discussion on design and not manufacturing for mass production ..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles