INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
View attachment 21506

"KARNATAKA POLICE : GARUDA COMMANDO FORCE
Using indigenously developed OFB Ghatak assault rifle
This force also uses OFB Amogh rifle "
Soikot,Even Karnatak Police has messed up with this one.

It is Trichy Assault Rifle (Kalashnikov Variant),notice the flat front profile of Gas Block.Moreover to that,Ghaatak has stamped sheet receiver,while TAR (Kalashnikov Variant) has milled receiver,as well this one.
This side folder variant of TAR.

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Alright Folks,

Here is a quick guide to identify Ghaatak and Trichy Assault Rifle (Kalashnikov Variant).

As i've pointed it out before that TAR has 90 degree gas block of very flat profile at front while Ghaatak has typical 45 degree gas block,I didn't have much clearer image of TAR but thanks to INDRA Networks guys,Here is the clearer image of Trichy Assault Rifle (Kalashnikov variant) which shows it.

Moreover to that,Ghaatak has stamped sheet pattern receiver,while TAR has milled receiver.

Another thing i'd like to point out is,on TAR i can see two little slots on the receiver section at trigger which indicates that TAR has double hooked trigger minus rate reducer,so this gun is more near to the AK-47 than AKM which has single hook trigger plus rate reducer.

rone

Country flag
its gud to see Indian version ak by ofb even some ofb done their work most of them just eating up our tax money and giving 2nd grade products ,just paint some shit and put in to def expos , when will be create something magnificent in small arms .we have to learn from Israel , they are the role model in defense manufacturing

did any know rather than some ugly cosmetic upgrade in insas what was the difference in insas 1b1 and insas mk c ?

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
This might be a stupid question, but seeing how the charging handle on the INSAS rifle doesn't reciprocate, what is the operating procedure to force close the bolt if it doesn't close fully cause of fouling or something else ? Is there any "forward assist" equivalent ?

Vinod DX9

Country flag
FB_IMG_1510591390623.jpg

From left to right ( 5.56 mm INSAS 1C , 7.62 × 39 GHATAK RIFLE & 12 BORE PUMP ACTION)

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
did any know rather than some ugly cosmetic upgrade in insas what was the difference in insas 1b1 and insas mk c ?
Apart from furniture,These are some upgrades done on INSAS from 1B1 to Mk.1C
-They upgraded receiver from usual stamped sheet receiver (with lots of rivets and/or pins) of 1B1 to a sturdy,milled one in Mk.1C.
-Moreover to that,curved trigger of 1B1 was straighten a little bit for comfortable 'quick taps' (i.e. rapid firing on semi-auto) in Mk.1C.I would like to tell you that same upgrade was done on MCIWS as well when they brought out AAR,as MCIWS had curvy trigger while AAR has straightened trigger.
-Barrel Lengh is shortened a little bit in Mk.1C,from 18'' in 1B1 to 16'' in Mk.1C.
-Gas block has also changed.In 1B1,they had put a 90 degree gas block with a gas cut-off + regulator.They've simplified it in MK.1C via replacing it with a 45 degree gas block without any cut off and regulator.
-1B1 has two modes of firings,Semi-Auto and 3-round burst,while Mk.1C has Semi-Auto and Full Auto as firing modes.
-My guess is they've changed recoil spring tension a little bit as Full Auto fire is introduced in Mk.1C.
-Firing Selector stops are changed to more ergonomic positions in Mk.1C.In 1B1,it goes like this - Safe,from 45 degree to Safe there is Semi and at 180 degree to Semi there is Burst,While in Mk.1C,it goes like this - Safe,from 30 degree to Safe there is Semi and further 30 degree gives Full Auto.
-They've put a little Picatiny Rail section on top of Mk.1C instead of Weaver Rail Section on 1B1.Moreover to that,they provided some sectional rails on bottom and sides of front handguard as well.

Phew! This is what i'm currently able to remember.There might be some more differences between 1B1 and Mk.1C.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Apart from furniture,These are some upgrades done on INSAS from 1B1 to Mk.1C
-They upgraded receiver from usual stamped sheet receiver (with lots of rivets and/or pins) of 1B1 to a sturdy,milled one in Mk.1C.
-Moreover to that,curved trigger of 1B1 was straighten a little bit for comfortable 'quick taps' (i.e. rapid firing on semi-auto) in Mk.1C.I would like to tell you that same upgrade was done on MCIWS as well when they brought out AAR,as MCIWS had curvy trigger while AAR has straightened trigger.
-Barrel Lengh is shortened a little bit in Mk.1C,from 18'' in 1B1 to 16'' in Mk.1C.
-Gas block has also changed.In 1B1,they had put a 90 degree gas block with a gas cut-off + regulator.They've simplified it in MK.1C via replacing it with a 45 degree gas block without any cut off and regulator.
-1B1 has two modes of firings,Semi-Auto and 3-round burst,while Mk.1C has Semi-Auto and Full Auto as firing modes.
-My guess is they've changed recoil spring tension a little bit as Full Auto fire is introduced in Mk.1C.
-Firing Selector stops are changed to more ergonomic positions in Mk.1C.In 1B1,it goes like this - Safe,from 45 degree to Safe there is Semi and at 180 degree to Semi there is Burst,While in Mk.1C,it goes like this - Safe,from 30 degree to Safe there is Semi and further 30 degree gives Full Auto.
-They've put a little Picatiny Rail section on top of Mk.1C instead of Weaver Rail Section on 1B1.Moreover to that,they provided some sectional rails on bottom and sides of front handguard as well.

Phew! This is what i'm currently able to remember.There might be some more differences between 1B1 and Mk.1C.
I believe the gas cut-off, and the gas regulator was a holdover from the FNC design. The gas cut-off and the rifle grenade ring behind the muzzle brake wasn't of any use since we don't use any standard rifle grenades I think, but I may be wrong. MK1C makes the design one step closer to the Galil. Plus the rifling twist rate may have been changed, since 2 inches of length was lost.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I believe the gas cut-off, and the gas regulator was a holdover from the FNC design. The gas cut-off and the rifle grenade ring behind the muzzle brake wasn't of any use since we don't use any standard rifle grenades I think, but I may be wrong. MK1C makes the design one step closer to the Galil. Plus the rifling twist rate may have been changed, since 2 inches of length was lost.
I checked OFB website for rifling specs and it appears that they have kept rifling twist same on both 1B1 and Mk.1C.Not only that,they had kept same rifling pattern on Kalantak Micro Assault Rifle as well.

It is 1:6 turns at 200 mm,RH turns.

Source:
for INSAS rifle - http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/11.htm
for Excalibur rifle - http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/23.htm
for Kalantak rifle - http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/add_32.htm

Wish those Idiots at OFB kept their websites updated,it is too outdated compared to Pakistan Ordinance Factory's website.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
I checked OFB website for rifling specs and it appears that they have kept rifling twist same on both 1B1 and Mk.1C.Not only that,they had kept same rifling pattern on Kalantak Micro Assault Rifle as well.

It is 1:6 turns at 200 mm,RH turns.

Source:
for INSAS rifle - http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/11.htm
for Excalibur rifle - http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/23.htm
for Kalantak rifle - http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/add_32.htm

Wish those Idiots at OFB kept their websites updated,it is too outdated compared to Pakistan Ordinance Factory's website.
Off the top of my head I think I recall that NATO standard is 1 in 175mm. Better data probably can be obtained by using OFB ammo dimensions against Miller or Greenhill formulas, but I'm lazy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles