INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Chinmoy

Country flag
You're right. It is indeed in limited service with Assam Rifles.
Few days back I had an opportunity to have a look at Excalibur too in a demo. But my badluck, it was all for some dignitaries and civilians like me were not allowed to click any snap of it. But let me tell you. If you get to have INSAS 1B and 1C along with Excalibur, you would just fall in love with it. Atleast I did... :). Its look is much more better then regular INSAS and even its length is shorter then 1B. The all black furniture just mesmerize you along with its feather light touch at trigger and overall weight. Even while cocking, it feels much more smooth then its counterparts.

Or may be I just imagined all these out of my Love at First sight :drool:

sbm

Country flag
What's the difference between the INSAS Rifle1C and the Excalibur?

ghost

Excalibur was developed by OFB but not inducted by the army. OFB ,DRDO ,DGQA along with the Army associated to develop a new 5.56 rifle which was an improvement over Insas rifle and Excalibur ,this rifle is called as Insas 1C.

Some of the changes on Insas 1C over Excalibur and Insas rifle are - new handguard design,quad rail, 45 degree gas block,machined receiver, foldable metal stock .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Excalibur MK1A is an enhanced 1B1, Which is lighter with lesser moving parts so does shorter and ergonomic compare to 1B1, It comes with a full auto option instead of burst ..

Where as MK1C is a reworked Excalibur MK1A, It retain same qualities of MK1A but further enhanced, Such as its more lighter in weight, A reworked receiver section which comes with much flushed finish so does P-rail on its dust cover & build in quad rail, Overall better material quality ..

I am posting my review of both weapon from 2014 so does 2016, You can decide it yourself ..

=================

MK1A

At first look & touch, The rifle is compact & Light weighted compare to INSAS 1B1 which is in service, The size of the rifle is more or less same as a M4 carbine, This is probably because the barrel is not a 18 inch as its on 1B1 but this Excaluber has a 16inch barrel !, Unlike what i saw previously in defexpos, Excalibur has 18inch barrels, This means Excalibur has variants & the one in my hand was a 16inch barrel one for CQB ops

The rifle Excalibur as seen in the picture is smaller than an AK47/AKM and little longer than TAR-21 of 18inch, It was lighter around 2 kgs and with full loaded 22rnds Magazine its weight is around 2.5kgs, Unlike 1B1 is 3.5kgs full loaded, It was pleasure to hold this Rifle ..

]Here the Rifle is in folded butt configuration, To be frank the size in this configuration was lesser than 9mm silenced carbine used in Army , This is perfect and impressive in CQB ops, where fighting is in tight corners ..

Now lets see some details in selector switch, S for semi auto, R for safety and A for automatic, This is not same with 1B1 as 1B1 options have no automatic but Burst, The switch itself is not same as 1B1`s, The Rifle is design for spray and pray like AK which is again for CQB ops, Also the Grip is also not like AK or 1B1`s, Though the Rifle retain similar 1B1`s rail, Trigger and almost all other major important parts for operating the rifle hence no new training for using this rifle..

What makes Excalibur looks different from his brother 1B1 is the over all fore-grip design which extend over gas pipe so does till Cocking handle, The material used is not a cheap plastic as many would call, But was rugged and good hard fiber furniture, Same material is used in Rifle butt, It is important to note the material used on Excalibur is not the same used over Improved 1B1, Excalibur is indeed a improved INSAS over Improved 1B1 INSAS, Unfortunately its not under service .

=============

MK1C

Unlike what i saw previously in 2014, The new Excalibur 2015 looks more of a flushed design of much like improved 1B1 but with notable differences in receiver design, Hand guard comes with its own built in quad-rails, Its barrel is now little shorter by 3mm, With new muzzle brake and new folding stock made of metal, It retain other features of both Excalibur and 1B1 improved

Unlike former design this design has a quad rail built in on hand guard, And fiber quality is much better than its former design too.

Now lets see some details in selector switch, S for semi auto, R for safety and A for automatic, This is same with former design, But much cleaner without much rebids around.

The pistol grip is retain from former design, Its simple and large and wide for gripping.

Here the Rifle is in folded butt configuration, To be frank the size in this configuration was lesser its previous form but the folding stock is now in metal, This is perfect and impressive in CQB ops, where fighting is in tight corners

Source : http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/insas-excalibur-in-person.57458/

sbm

Country flag
A question - I've seen the Dragunovs used as DMRs with the RR and some other units. I've seen one photo of a SLR with an optical sight with the AP Greyhounds but while I have seen optical sights developed for INSAS and a few in use, why aren't a few issued to each section to support the Dragunov and also are there any photos of the Indian army using the SLR in the DMR role with optical sights (not night vision sights - a few of those photos exist)? Thanks for any help.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
A question - I've seen the Dragunovs used as DMRs with the RR and some other units. I've seen one photo of a SLR with an optical sight with the AP Greyhounds but while I have seen optical sights developed for INSAS and a few in use, why aren't a few issued to each section to support the Dragunov and also are there any photos of the Indian army using the SLR in the DMR role with optical sights (not night vision sights - a few of those photos exist)? Thanks for any help.
Wait for end of next year, we might see a new bolt action sniper rifle as well as light weight AMR.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The kind of photo exists, But very old from post 71 war ..

This is Improved 1b1 ( Unit applied paint over phosphate coating ) with optics and 30rnd LMG magazine, Some units in absence of SVD use this as DMR ..

View attachment 15329 Excalibur mk-1..................

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Even with INSAS MK 1C the top receiver cover manufacturing looks very ugly. Can't ofb get a reasonable press?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We will know about it when next time ARDE comes with its prototype at Defexpo 2018 ..

The weapon cleared its trails in 2016 and by end of 2016 it was handed to Army for user trails ..

Its highly suspicions that the new AR given to Army by OFB could be a spin off product from MICWS project ..

Any news of the design changes in the MCIWS and whata the status ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles