INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

rone

Country flag
kunal bahi is there any weapon trail now going on for replacement for INSAS ,and what about Carbine rifle

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Once in service, It never needs to replace its barrel unless it get damage by outer force ..

Excaluber MK1C is intend to replace 1B1s, Its under last leg of trails and MSMC cleared its trails and waiting for orders ..

May I knw what is the life span of an insas rilfe barrel ? How many rounds it could fire before replacement is needed as a result of damged rifling?
kunal bahi is there any weapon trail now going on for replacement for INSAS ,and what about Carbine rifle

rone

Country flag
is there any dead line for this tests becoz, last time we wasted 4 yr for fancy modern rifle they all failed miserably (@Kunal Biswas

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Once in service, It never needs to replace its barrel unless it get damage by outer force ..

Excaluber MK1C is intend to replace 1B1s, Its under last leg of trails and MSMC cleared its trails and waiting for orders ..
If MSMC has Cleared trials and all is well with it then why the army isn't including it to their arsenals ?

I remember about 12000+ Beretta MX4 Storm carbines were ordered some 4 years ago.Probably by BSF and paramilitaty,if not Army itself.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All i know it cleared its trails successfully, Why their is no word afterwards is not known to me ..

If MSMC has Cleared trials and all is well with it then why the army isn't including it to their arsenals ?.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
All i know it cleared its trails successfully, Why their is no word afterwards is not known to me ..
Sorry dada for asking in very harsh manner,but it's just my genuine concern as our boys and girls at army are using Ancient SMGs like Sterling and Sten,even if new one is ready to take its place.

Amr

Hello Kunal, first of all I'd like to say thanks for your tremendous contribution to so many threads, I have reading your posts for more than a year now and it has been very satisfying and enlightening also, e.g. I am a fanatic proponent of indigenous but I always thought that INSAS was quite inferior to rifles like SCAR and HK416, now it seems that I might have been wrong, which is a great relief.
Second thing is that, if it's O.K. I'd like to ask you some questions regarding ARs and their ammo.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Introduction

Indian Army to induct Excalibur assault rifle in service after cancellation of Multi Caliber assault rifle tender for 66,000 rifle that was floated in 2011. Excalibur is improved version of INSAS rifle that was adopted in 1998. INSAS rifle was designed by Armament R&D Establishment (ARDE) wing of DRDO. INSAS rifles inferior when compared to rest of automatic rifles of the world. This rifles has reliability issues. It gets Jam during high altitudes, Magazines crack during cold weather. The new Excalibur rifle aims to rectify problems and deliver cost effect rifle replacing INSAS rifle.

Specifications of Excalibur rifle:

1. Caliber 5.56x45 mm

2. Weight (With full Magazines) 4.03

3. Length 895 mm (35.2 in)

4. Length (with folded stock)?

5. Barrel length 400 mm (16 in)

6. Muscle velocity 900 m/s (2,953 ft./s)

7. Cyclic rate of fire 650-700 rpm

8. Magazines capacity 20, 30 rounds

9. Sighting range?

10. Range of effective fire 400 mm

Above Specifications is taken from http://www.military-today.com/firearms/excalibur.htm and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_rifle

Excalibur rifle fires standard NATO 5.45x45 mm ammunition. It features high ruggedness for battle field engagement and is lighter to handle. It is well suited for low intensity conflict and close quarter battle. The rifle ergonomically designed with folding butt and Pica tinny rails for mounting optical and electronic devices. The rifle also features ‘direct- gas tapping angle’ which reduces recoil during firing and abandons three round burst of INSAS rifle. Plycarnote magazines ensures good operation ability at high altitudes without cracking. During test in early 2015 Excalibur rifle performed very well and moderately successful with only 2 stoppages during 24,000 firing rounds; close to the set standard of one stoppage.

In 2015 OFB designed improved Excalibur MK 1C which is advanced version of original Excalibur rifle it is designed after Indian Army request. Excalibur MK 1C has notable differences in receiver design hand guard comes in with its own built quad-rails, its barrel length is little shorter 3 mm. With new muscle brake and new folding stock is made of metal. It retain features of Excalibur and improved 1B1 INSAS rifle.

This design has quad-rail built it on a hand guard. And fiber quality is much better than previous model. The some details of selector switch are Semi-automatic, Safety and Automatic. The Pistol grip is retain from former designed and it is simple, large and wide for gripping. The folding stock is in metal. This is perfect for close quarter combat and for fighting for tight corners.

Conclusion:

After several trials Indian Army finally going to induct indigenous Excalibur assault rifle which under ‘Make in India’. Indian Army finally to get relief after inducting Excalibur rifle into their armory. Excalibur
rifle will improve Indian Army infantry fire power. Excalibur rifle well suited for close quarter combat and fighting tight corners. It is very reliable and cheap to operate. After approval Indian Army Indian Army will induct close to 600,000 rifles in two years.

Note: Above views and words expressed are my own and not copied from any news and articles.

Last edited:

Vayuputra

Country flag
Hello Kunal, first of all I'd like to say thanks for your tremendous contribution to so many threads, I have reading your posts for more than a year now and it has been very satisfying and enlightening also, e.g. I am a fanatic proponent of indigenous but I always thought that INSAS was quite inferior to rifles like SCAR and HK416, now it seems that I might have been wrong, which is a great relief.
Second thing is that, if it's O.K. I'd like to ask you some questions regarding ARs and their ammo.
Scar and HK416 and other modern assault rifles doesn't fit very well in our indian conditions. The former is more of plastic based gun and the latter has very short piston and if you ignore propaganda video on hk416 to make it invincible and ask an actual version who had fired several hundreds through it would say that after few hundred rounds the piston would get damaged and it needs to be replaced. As Kunal bhai been saying for wuite a long time that those weapons looks well on paper but on real combat environment they won't last longer as they have been touted. I weapon of choice was , is and would be Short Barrel version of FN FAl with folding stock and and chambered in 7.62x51 and 5.56 per operations requirement. Don't forget that FN FAL is battel proven weapon where as HK 416 and SCAr have not seen any major battle.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its always been my pleasure, Do ask questions ..

sbm

Country flag
Its always been my pleasure, Do ask questions ..
Kunal, is the INSAS more reliable than the M4 and as accurate in Indian conditions with similar sights? Also, why has there been this sustained campaign against it? I understand the QC problems were very bad early on but has there been a case in combat in India where one has jammed or misfired leading to casualties?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their were no complains written in General report from kargil war about various shortcoming with 1B1 ( Late Brigadier Ray conforms this ), These problems were minor and latter solved in next batches ..

I never used M4 but some of my friends in SF don`t like its reliability, It has issues like jamming though how often i cannot say, Regarding why their is an uproar is mainly due to corruptions and dalals and also their are few who find convenient to blame the weapon rather their incompetence..

This is an old video but worth watching ..

Kunal, is the INSAS more reliable than the M4 and as accurate in Indian conditions with similar sights? Also, why has there been this sustained campaign against it? I understand the QC problems were very bad early on but has there been a case in combat in India where one has jammed or misfired leading to casualties?

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas, sir this might be a silly question but I want to know how soldiers deal with the empty brass cases which come flying out of the rifles of their fellow soldiers in the field. Don't they hit vulnerable areas? Eyes, ears etc?

I've seen a pic of Mongolian troops exercising with Indian troops in this forum where they all get into a formation and they are seen to be firing their rifles towards the sky and most of them are seen bleeding from their face. Is it because of the empty brass hitting them and causing injuries?

aditya g

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas, sir this might be a silly question but I want to know how soldiers deal with the empty brass cases which come flying out of the rifles of their fellow soldiers in the field. Don't they hit vulnerable areas? Eyes, ears etc?

I've seen a pic of Mongolian troops exercising with Indian troops in this forum where they all get into a formation and they are seen to be firing their rifles towards the sky and most of them are seen bleeding from their face. Is it because of the empty brass hitting them and causing injuries?
Like so

upload_2016-12-27_11-33-44.png
upload_2016-12-27_11-33-44.png

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1B1 throw out casing 45 degree angle, It does not hit other solider at his side ..

Brass catcher is important to make sure no of rounds fired and also to avoid people ( Army as well as Civilians ) from stealing brass and sell it in market or keep it as personal item, Such measures avoids unnecessary troubles ..

Brass catchers are used in training, Firing ranges and in exercise not in combat ..

So, troops carry these into battlefield?
Will it effect any aesthetics? Does it interrupt ambidexterity of the weapon?
Like so

View attachment 12721View attachment 12721

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
1B1 throw out casing 45 degree angle, It does not hit other solider at his side ..

Brass catcher is important to make sure no of rounds fired and also to avoid people ( Army as well as Civilians ) from stealing brass and sell it in market or keep it as personal item, Such measures avoids unnecessary troubles ..

Brass catchers are used in training, Firing ranges and in exercise not in combat ..
So it has a chance to effect the troops in battlefield. I guess so. And I think the impact won't be much.

hammer head

Country flag
So, troops carry these into battlefield?
Will it effect any aesthetics? Does it interrupt ambidexterity of the weapon?
Troops don't carry these into the battlefield, they are primarily made for collection of khokhas ( empty cases) during firing practice.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles