INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its easy to clean up the gas tube in case it get jam due to dirt and other foreign material around, though it is not recommended to remove it ..

The exchange of such knowledge happens to be within scientific community of two countries rather military, I don`t know what we provided them in exchange..

Great pics @Kunal Biswas bhai.

Just some questions:
-The INSAS within hands of our Jawans seems to missing upper front cover on its gas tube.Have they removed it ?If yes why so?
-You mentioned that Finnish metalurgical mixture was imported to rectify issues with rifle.Have we imported Finnish Valmet series rifle's mixture to make imprvements in INSAS?

sbm

Country flag
Would you rate the INSAS as in service as being more reliable and as accurate as the M4 and Tavor? I mean I don't think I've seen either the M4 or Tavor in Siachen?

Hari Sud

Country flag
I believe this conversation giving away too much to the enemy, although I hope the INSAS critics take note of what Kunal Biswas said above that Finish metallurgy was imported to improve the rifle.

Critics have not ever mentioned that INSAS and its improved avtar, Excalibur is not the same rifle as it was in 1994 when it was introduced in large numbers to replace FAL rifle. Some how INSAS critics and they aided by Yellow Journalism has been constantly hammering at INSAS as inadequate based on 1999 Kargil war experience. Even then incidents of failure were less but multiplied several times over to make INSAS look bad. Critics are selling their own brand by foul mouthing the local made. I am pained that our valiant officer corps and most inglorious retired officer corp kept pressure on INSAS even though they knew about improvements and the difference improvements had made.

Now it is time to stop foul mouthing INSAS. Keyboard warriors take a note, also now discussion should be to upgrade and replace this rifle in next five years with even a better one.

May I remind you that a lot of rifle prototypes are out there but have not fought a war. Many armies field those but have not used it in an actual battle where enemy is shooting at you with an equally good rifle. A terrorist act or chase of a terrorist is not a battle action, it is urban warfare where eye ball to eye ball shooting match does not happen. A bunch of rifle sent by foreign vendors three years back, failed to make a grade. One of the reason of the test failure was the vendors spent too much time to improve the external hardware and furniture and failed to improve the design, the metallurgy and the build. These rifles look very sexy but are for parade ground material.

Imagine a soldier fielding a rifle of current bullpup design with practically no place to fix the
bayonet and he finds himself with enemy coming at him with bayonet in a hand to hand fight situation. The only choice left for him is drop the sexy rifle and run. Not a good situation. My advice, stop going by the looks and glossy brochures and also the test results conducted in a highly favourable conditions. These are not battle results.

May be that our own Multi Caliber Rifle stand an equal chance. If we less foul mouth ourselves and be honest to improve the multi caliber rifle, it may come out as a winner.

sbm

Country flag
Well said Hari. If the INSAS was such a failure how come more than 2 million are in successful service?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Correction there, Its 7 million in Indian Armed forces, 2 million is always when counted just Army.

Well said Hari. If the INSAS was such a failure how come more than 2 million are in successful service?

sbm

Country flag
7 million INSAS? Really? Where? How? Source? Anything. That is a lot of rifles. But at 90K/yr, only 1.8 million or so would have been made.

sbm

Country flag
Yeah but even that takes us to around 3.5 million as only about 130,000 needed for IAF, 70,000 for navy and 1.8 million for CAPFs and police.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Around Total of 1.5 to 2 Million INSAS Rifles have been produced. Army Max procurement per annum was around 80,000 from 1999 to 2014.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The information is shared by OFB official at Army event, Was there ..

7 million INSAS? Really? Where? How? Source? Anything. That is a lot of rifles. But at 90K/yr, only 1.8 million or so would have been made.

sbm

Country flag
Wowsers! This is 7 million delivered ? WOW!

My calculations are the same as Raj Malhotra's . Suggest 1.1 million for army, 150,000 for IAF/Navy, 500,000 for BSF/CRPF and another 250,000 for AR/ITBP/SSB. You get about 2 million there exclusive of reserve stocks. Then you have at least 200,000 to the police.

Interested to hear your views on the servicewise breakdown, Kunal

Vayuputra

Country flag
@Kunal, what is the life span of an insas barrel?. How many rounds it could fire before a replacement si needed?

SofaAloo

Probably because India is the only mainstream user

The Indian Army alone numbers over 2 million including regular and reserve (that's just the Army), never mind the police, para-military services, navy, air force etc

SofaAloo

Would you rate the INSAS as in service as being more reliable and as accurate as the M4 and Tavor? I mean I don't think I've seen either the M4 or Tavor in Siachen?
The fact the M4 has had more successul with regards to procurement by a number of countries including complete replacement of the M16A2 in the US Army alone as well as being a popular selection for various units in NATO countries should spell it out loud and clear, the INSAS is as abymal a success story as the SA80 with regards to its export history

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian arm export is ban by GOI, Only available to friendly countries through government to government procurement.

sbm, was talkiing about M4 service at Siachen not abt export of INSAS 1B1.

Probably because India is the only mainstream user

The Indian Army alone numbers over 2 million including regular and reserve (that's just the Army), never mind the police, para-military services, navy, air force etc
The fact the M4 has had more successul with regards to procurement by a number of countries including complete replacement of the M16A2 in the US Army alone as well as being a popular selection for various units in NATO countries should spell it out loud and clear, the INSAS is as abymal a success story as the SA80 with regards to its export history

Vayuputra

Country flag
May I knw what is the life span of an insas rilfe barrel ? How many rounds it could fire before replacement is needed as a result of damged rifling?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles