INSAS Excalibur In Person

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Cannot say exact dates of cancellation of various tenders, but majority of them are before this year ..

shom

Excalibur will be best replacement for INSAS right now. If we go for any foreign assault rifle now in large scale then replacing them with MCIWS would be difficult. Also DRDO would be released of pressure and they would be reluctant and lethargic. Though they are a bit lethargic but to me, pressure of army need is a big tooth in speeding up MCIWS project.

Prashant12

Country flag
Excalibur to hold the fort now

Army plans to induct the assault rifle as stopgap till a better model is procured
Faced with a huge delay in acquiring world-class rifles for its soldiers, the Army is now reluctantly planning to induct the indigenously developed Excalibur, an assault rifle it had initially rejected, though in limited numbers.

The fully automatic rifle, which fires 5.56mm ammunition built by the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), is an upgraded version of the trouble-prone INSAS (Indian National Small Arms System) inducted in the mid-1990s.

Army sources said that with the procurement delays in mind, the force is looking to induct the Excalibur to replace the INSAS till the time a new rifle joins the force.

“The Army has shown interest in a modified form of Excalibur. The exact number and time frame has not yet been intimated by the Army,” the Public Relations Officer of the OFB told The Hindu in response to a query.

The Army has been trying to replace the INSAS and had launched an ambitious global tender for interchangeable barrels capable of firing both 5.56mm and 7.62mm calibre bullets. After extensive trials, the tender was cancelled early this year as none of the contenders could meet the requirements.

The Army has now decided to go for 7.62mm calibre and fresh General Staff Quality Requirements (GSQR) have just been issued.

The Excalibur was comprehensively evaluated at Infantry School, Mhow, in November 2005 and recommended for induction in the Army in due course of time, the PRO said. But the Army later did not show interest in its induction, which has changed in light of the procurement delays.

However before induction, the Army wants to carry out extensive user exploitation trails to validate the rifle.

Sources said that to save time and shorten the process, the Army intended to procure large volume of the guns to carry out simultaneous trials in various locations.

The Rifle Factory, Ishapore, had produced 15 prototypes for user and quality evaluation, and additional features sought by the user are to be incorporated. However, the OFB is yet to receive any communication for large volumes for exploitation trails, sources said.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/excalibur-to-hold-the-fort-now/article9258872.ece

shom

@Kunal Biswas dada, There is hell lot of change in Excalibur now. Than the one yu had posted. Please dada if you inform the changes that are made in the gun in details.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
From a user perspective, The new Excalibur is more maintenance friendly much like Improved 1B1 in service and more ergonomic in design than its former self.

I have posted information in detail on page 5, At post no #82

=====================

The AR-2 ( Excalibur in 7.62 ) is actually in 7.62M43 not NATO, Its design as per Army request in event it require such a rifle for future needs, As of now Ghatak fills up this requirement.

@Kunal Biswas dada, There is hell lot of change in Excalibur now. Than the one yu had posted. Please dada if you inform the changes that are made in the gun in details.
If OFB/DRDO can come out with 7.62 excalibur it would be awesome. What you think.

Chinmoy

Country flag
From a user perspective, The new Excalibur is more maintenance friendly much like Improved 1B1 in service and more ergonomic in design than its former self.

=====================

The AR-2 ( Excalibur in 7.62 ) is actually in 7.62M43 not NATO, Its design as per Army request in event it require such a rifle for future needs, As of now Ghatak fills up this requirement.
So its this Excalibur in 7.62 you were talking about which could see competition in the current RFI floated for 7.62???

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The RFI launched has asked for 7.62NATO, Not 7.62M43 so AR-2 won`t be talking part in.

It was error on my part, I mistook it as 7.62m43.

So its this Excalibur in 7.62 you were talking about which could see competition in the current RFI floated for 7.62???

shom

=====================

I am happy that Indian Army is opting OFB guns. Make in India is progressing.

rishivashista13

Country flag
Is there any plan to modify MCIWS for 7.62 NATO ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Chinmoy

Country flag

I think they have opted for 6.8 SPC instead of going for 7.62 NATO full power round.

Anyone here tried their hands in 6.8 and 7.62 NATO to share their experience?

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
I think I already know the answer but can civilians acquire this rifle after getting a license issued? Would it be possible to get it exported to the US?

airtel

Country flag

MCIWS supports 7.62×39mm round may be they also include 7.62×51mm rounds in the future .

I think I already know the answer but can civilians acquire this rifle after getting a license issued? Would it be possible to get it exported to the US?
NO

Last edited:

Predator707

Well i haven't fired 6.8 SPC but i read about it on many blogs manned by soldiers and after reading many comparisons between 5.56mm and 6.8 SPC i will pic a riffle with 5.56 anytime cause 5.56 not beat 6.8 in velocity but its pressure profile is much better than 6.8 and it offer better range in professional hands.

The another thing which sealed my vote for 5.56*45 mm is its availability, every nation uses it that means if i am in a firefight i can shout for a magzine and i will get it, in case of 7.62*39mm though 6.8 has edge over this round cause it offer better range and enough penetration power with better recoil specs but here also it is beaten by the availability + 7.62*39mm is cheap in front of 6.8 SPC

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
How gud is 6.8 SPC compare to 5.56 mk262 ..?

Presently Indian Army use 64gr 5.56mm and on request their`s even heavier 5.56mm probably +70gr.

Last edited:

Flame Thrower

@Kunal Biswas

Sir I believe Excalibur is Insas(5.56*45mm) replacment and Ghatak is AK-47 variants (7.62*39mm).

If so, what is the need of MCIWS.....

We have two guns each for different rounds...

Is MCIWS going to be a game changer.... Though it can fire both 7.62 & 5.56 soldiers will Cary only one type of ammo and the ammo config is set in the base. So what is the point of having same gun to fire different rounds.... while we still have different guns.....

And why do we see so many different types of assault rifles in our Army..

Do we still continue to use different type of assault rifles even after inducting Excalibur, Ghatak & MICWS....

Pls explain....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles