INSAS Excalibur In Person

Austinjimson

Kunal,one more question is our army using the automatic, burst,single fire version of insas or are they using only burst and single fire version? ?

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
INSAS 1B1 olders as well as Improved has Burst mode, Not automatic, So IA use burst mode in INSAS only ..

Austinjimson

Does OFB and ARDE have plans to indegenous sniper rifle of 7.62mm caliber and heavier .50 cal calibers or similar.And is there any plans for indegenous MMGs of 7.62mm caliber and HMGs of .50 cal or similar just like INSAS programme which is indegenous? ?

Austinjimson

Nice to INSAS Excalibur in the the above pictures. Has it really been inducted and in operational service with armed forces??

pmaitra

Army prepares for crucial trials as chief insists on indigenous Excalibur rifle
On Tuesday, in a signal of army chief General Dalbir Singh’s determination to arm his soldiers with a “Made in India” rifle, his infantry chief visited an Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) facility near Kolkata that is fabricating a batch of 200 Excalibur rifles. The army will formally trial evaluate these later this year.
On his visit to Rifle Factory, Ishapore (RFI) on Tuesday, Lieutenant General Sanjay Kulkarni, the infantry director general, put the prototype Excalibur through the “water” and “mud” tests, in which the rifle is fired after being fully immersed in those substances. The Excalibur handily passed these tests, which all four foreign rifles had failed to clear.
The OFB has confirmed to Business Standard that the army has pulled out all stops to institutionally oversee the project, something that the navy has often done but is unprecedented for the army. A number of army shooters are stationed at Ishapore where they carry out extensive test firing daily.

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
Lol American m4a1 is 3.5kg w/ 14.5 v 18" 1b1.

This is even less, plus it passes mud & water test.

M4/16 can never.

Seems to be gas piston as well, which with 16" barrel will reduce effective range due to 5.56 characteristics.

175-225m is probably longest highly lethal range.

Effective probably 450m/600m point/area.

--
You are losing 50-75m overall but 1kg less,
Is huge in mountains.

Newer mags weigh 150g vs 350-400 steel.

20rds = 250g or so 5.56

So basically 40rds extra same weight. Not bad,

If army goes for larger mags like 30/45 can almost push 50-55rds.

5.56 alone is 82rds/kg.

Large benefit of indigenous design, is faster upgrades.

We are in a realistic position, to have a better Infantry small arms system than Russia or USA if we push this out by 2019.

They have nothing in pipeline,

Russians have ak74 ak103/104/105.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-105

That is 12" barrel that weighs more than 1b1.

Aks-74u with 8" barrel is 2.7kg empty.

I somehow have hard time believing that a gaspiston rifle, with good reliability & magazine is below 3kg.

But if true shows neither Russia, America, China are close to us in small arms material systems.

1.5gen behind.

Russia has to have ak74m heavy, & crappy aks74u for light ar heavy smg role.

We just fold Insas Excalibur stock lol.

Ak101 &102 fire 5.56 & are 37/28" around same as 1b1 despite 12.5" barrels.

M4a1 is 33/27" 14.5" barrel

Be interested to know what they did to shorten it beyond 2" less barrel.

Would like to see measurements of length & weight though.

Also barrel weight & twist rate as both of those can be overlooked & cause massive problems later.

Hindu army has probably strictest testing regime though.

Summer tests will show up all those issues.

Btw, kargil war issues of magazine cracking was nothing out of ordinary.

Up till 2005 all polymer magazines cracked even in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Was still worth though because you were saving around 200g+ or 18 5.56rds per magazine compared to standard steel.

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
http://m.policemag.com/article/2202/daniel-defense-v5-lightweight-m4-carbine

Something like this is top of line, significantly better than average us army & soon marine.

Simply because m4/16 rifles tap off gas directly to cycle, vs gas piston on Insas & ak.

Many parts wear out after 5-10,000 rds & army doesn't always follow proper maintenance or lubrication cycle.

That linked weighs 6lb 5oz take off all rails but top half picatinny rail for Excalibur.

Probably saving like pound maybe 1.5
Sling is probably another 2-300g
& magazine probably heavier with it.

So 2.5kg Insas excalibur is definitely possible loaded with modern magazine.

However add optic which is like 1lb & eventually people will start adding lasers, lights, foregrips, bipods.

I would expect operating weight of 3-4.5kg depending on configuration.

--
This is definitely more advanced than what any major country is doing.

Any top 10/15 economy + Israel

Savaj

AR-15 is a highly customizable and light weight platform. Thanks to no BS like PB/NPB and big civilian market in USA, lot of small-medium manufacturers use basic platform to build some really interesting rifles for civilians . Of course they are also available in military/LE versions too. Only thing common between such variants is the lower. This modular approach has led to longevity and various combinations for rifle suited for purpose like hunting, self-defense, match, long range shooting, etc.

sreenevasachha

Country flag
i hope its a decent option if Excalibur re-built with mciws components, its looks more contemporary in aesthetic view

pmaitra

i hope its a decent option if Excalibur re-built with mciws components, its looks more contemporary in aesthetic view
MCIWS has a lot of machined parts, so it will have better finish, but will also be more expensive to produce. Excalibur is an iteration of the INSAS, and will have more stamped metal parts, thus keeping it cheap to produce, but also with lesser refinements. As long as it shoots well and reliably, it should be fine.

sreenevasachha

Country flag
can anybody tell what is the cost of INSAS, MCIWS, M4
when India ready to buy foreign guns with high price tag ,why cant we make our own guns with decent expenditure which is fraction of foreign gun cost and why Indian products should always be cheap and ugly to look .If Excalibur is reliable we should make it beautiful and light weight .and finally its indian made gun for indian needs.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
when India ready to buy foreign guns with high price tag ,why cant we make our own guns with decent expenditure which is fraction of foreign gun cost and why Indian products should always be cheap and ugly to look .If Excalibur is reliable we should make it beautiful and light weight .and finally its indian made gun for indian needs.
Yes I agree with you...this is what Airforce and army should learn.
Just have a look at Navy..They are using local products..at cheap cost..better..

ghost

Sir,

Contrary to what most people think excalibur seem to have direct impingement gas system,which means less reliable if not cleaned properly.Furthermore, the Excalibur incorporates a “direct gas-tapping angle”, which reduces its recoil, or the “jump” when it is fired.http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2015/09/army-prepares-for-crucial-trails-as.html

FN’s contract with the Army is $77 million for the first 120,000 rifles, which works out to a bottom line of just under $642 per M4A1.http://www.guns.com/2013/02/26/fn-lands-army-m4-contract-underbids-colt-remington/

"With the Excalibur priced at about Rs 60,000 each, 6 lakh rifles would cost about Rs 3,000 crore."http://ajaishukla.blogspot.in/2015/09/army-prepares-for-crucial-trails-as.html

1 US Dollar equals
65.18 Indian Rupee;approximate 65 rupee.

FN m4a1 cost per rifle :41730 Indian rupee
Excalibur cost per rifle : 60000 Indian rupee

I would like a fresh RFI issued , let drdo mciws/excalibur compete against indian private companies(in joint venture with foreign firm 49%FDI) may the best rifle win.We will have make in India, irrespective of which one wins.Some people say ,it will be mere assembling of assault rifles by private firm or producing the rifle on foreign technology,but that's how you start in private industry.As private companies will start getting orders it will have an incentive to invest in its own R&D and introduce fully indigenous products.Look at bajaj for example ,at first they used to import from Kawasaki and assemble and sell it in India ,but as they spent some time earn some profit ,knowledge,experience they were able to design and produce their own vehicles independent of Kawasaki,so collaboration with foreign firm is practical and need at start.

The essence of all this being the need to have "competition" ,monopoly of govt psu are the main reason of their inefficiency and lacklustre approach.

There is no such thing as made for India as per Indian need.A good rifle is good and bad is bad irrespective of place.A tavor perform equally well in desert of Israel,cold climate of Ukraine,dense jungle and humid climate of Vietnam and of course in our INDIA .

I would like Indian army to adopt bullpup rifle,as it offer long barrel in shorter rifle it will be as good in cqb as it will be in long range engagement.Tavor with its long stroke piston is among most reliable assault rifle out there.There is also a myth being spread that all these rifle are very complicated its not .

A disassembled Tavor and kel tec RDB ,see the simple big parts easy to assemble and disassemble.

Some people feel that people drool over tavor because it's cool,yes,it is cool, but then it is an awesome rifle in design,ergonomics,reliability,accuracy the list goes on.I wish we could licence produce Tavor someday in 6.8.

When I was in the military (airborne infantry), I was issued many,many weapons- from the venerable M14 to the M4. Upon getting out and entering the private sector, I fell in love with the Tavor. It simply addresses many issues the M4 had, particularly in the urban combat category.

The M4 is direct impingement (DI), whereas the Tavor uses a piston system, which is generally considered more reliable than DI. The weapon's "guts" (similar in design to an AK or Galil) are both easily accessible from a trap door in the rear, requiring a few seconds to 'combat clean' carbon and debris off with a rag and a spritz of oil. As far as tavor "jamming", I've put thousands of rounds in them without any malfunctions short of a light strike on a hard primer and the occasional double feed from blank ammunition. The M4, though able to run reliably soaked in CLP, suffers far worse.

The rifle takes a 16 inch barrel and somehow still manages to be smaller than an M4 with a 13-14 inch barrel. Optimum use of the 5.56mms capabilities come from utilizing longer barrels, 16-18 being the best range. The rifle is very, very short. It makes the UGG boot SCAR, M4 and (vomits) G36 look archaically long by comparison. Shooting from car? While driving, no less. Hallway fight? bring it. 300m or less? Please. 600m is easily doable, I've stretched to 750 on steel with the IDF standard 1x M21 sight, well past 5.56's standard range.

Tavor is heavier than the M4, but you'd never know it by picking one up. Since all the weight is in the rear, it feels very natural to shoulder and can be held in the same position almost indefinitely without discomfort. Unlike the center-front heavy M4, center heavy AUG or the clumsily weighted FN2000 or FAMAS, the Tavor actually feels good to shoot from standing, kneeling and modified positions. It does however, feel clumsy on a shooting bench. It wasn't designed for, on or around shooting benches, so that makes sense.

The magazine can be released with the firing hand without ever taking the hand off the pistol grip. By rocking back the thumb, you can activate the release catch for the magazine, placing a fresh one in and not even having to use the charging handle or bolt release, provided you left one round in the chamber. I guess this is a good time to mention that you don't even need the release in the rear if you have no rounds left and just want to chamber a fresh mag. You can use the charging handle if it is more comfortable. The magazine well was put so close to the pistol grip due to the fact that even in the dark, your hands will generally find each other with minimal effort. It was actually a very intuitive design feature.I have taught and attended courses/exercises where operators/owners of M4 carbine and similar rifles we're stuck on the notion that the Bullpups are hard to reload. After challenging to friendly competition, they received their humble pie.

Tavor triggers are heavy, in the US market, this is a 'flaw'. However, stock military rifle triggers are heavy, including the M4 Trigger system. Remember, tavor was designed for the Israeli fighting man and woman, who despite the superb military record, are still comprised largely of conscripts. The rifle had to be made dummy proof, and a heavy trigger assists in that. There have been times on urban courses where I didn't have my safety activated while running the course. At first, I was more or less penalized for this until I demonstrated that the trigger system is fairly stout by comparison to some of the other rifles. This gave me a bit of an advantage, as a trigger under stress conditons tends to be yanked regardless.

The Tavor suffers in aftermarket parts, particularly compared to the M4/AR series, the barbie of rifles. However, you more or less find yourself adopting a minimalist mentality after a while. Short of a light and sight, the only accessory I use is a sling.

If the M4-AR is the top heavy ,temperamental cheerleader who likes to go shopping and stay meticulously clean, the Tavor is the tomboy with a big butt, who probably plays field hockey/volleyball and likes to forego the mall for camping or mudding with the boys, though she still cleans up nicely and has a look no one else has.

I for one like tomboys.
https://www.quora.com/Israel-Defens...ers-think-of-the-Tavor-rifle-IMI-Tavor-TAR-21

pmaitra

@ghost,

Thank you for a very informative post.

A direct gas impingement system is claimed to have jamming problems, but not everyone agrees. Please see this: http://info.stagarms.com/blog/bid/2...nd-Direct-Impingement-technology-for-an-AR-15

The advantage that OFB seeks to achieve here appears to be to reduce the total mass of parts moving back and forth. Thus, one piston less means one piston weight less moving back and forth, thus more stability.

At the end of the day, the taste of the pudding is in its eating. If direct gas impingement turns out to be reliable, why not?

ghost

@ghost,

Thank you for a very informative post.

A direct gas impingement system is claimed to have jamming problems, but not everyone agrees. Please see this: http://info.stagarms.com/blog/bid/2...nd-Direct-Impingement-technology-for-an-AR-15

The advantage that OFB seeks to achieve here appears to be to reduce the total mass of parts moving back and forth. Thus, one piston less means one piston weight less moving back and forth, thus more stability.

At the end of the day, the taste of the pudding is in its eating. If direct gas impingement turns out to be reliable, why not?
Sir,

That is true ,direct impingement system spew foul gasses with heat and carbon, depositing black crud all over the bolt carrier.This will obviously affect the reliability of any rifle if not cleaned at regular intervals.But ,there seem to be a solution to it ,that is keep the bolt carrier lubed before every mission,"keep it wet then all is set" in case of direct impingement.Here is an excellent article apart from what appears to be a typing mistake where they mention ak 47 having short stroke piston in place of long stroke ,everything else seem quite legit.http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/4/13/ar-operating-systems-gas-impingement-vs-piston/

Apparently ,COLT has filed for bankruptcy https://theintercept.com/2015/06/16...a-political-allies-former-general-mcchrsytal/.Government and private firms in India should make the most out of this and probably buy COLT and transfer all its factories to India.With current warm relations with US government it seems possible.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles