INS Vishal (IAC- II) Aircraft Carrier - Flattop or Ski Jump

IndianHawk

Country flag
Hmm, ok but within one year they'll finish it and complete trials and ready it up for induction ? Seeing that this is probably the longest they'd ever took to build a vessel, I guess it is going to take more than 2 more years for it to complete and get inducted.

Also, I have read that they have developed a facility with catapult system, allegedly an EMALS as well as steam based catapult facility somewhere.

We need to develop our own facilities for future ACs which can operate atleast a steam catapult for launching aircrafts. After working on EMALS with americans, we might as well try to make a indigenous version of it.
We will but it will be too late . As per current planning iac2 is the only Carrier that will be constructed till 2030s .

So even if we develop indigenous catapult and EMALS we are not building any other carrier to incorporate these:frown:

We might have a relook at things by 2025 but by then Chinese would have stolen a march in indigenous technologies.

I have no doubt Vishal will be superior to any chinese craft but chinese will have more craft more indigenization.

republic_roi97

Country flag
We will but it will be too late . As per current planning iac2 is the only Carrier that will be constructed till 2030s .

So even if we develop indigenous catapult and EMALS we are not building any other carrier to incorporate these:frown:

We might have a relook at things by 2025 but by then Chinese would have stolen a march in indigenous technologies.

I have no doubt Vishal will be superior to any chinese craft but chinese will have more craft more indigenization.
Do you really think that we have to outnumber PLAN, we just have to be at the top of our game, we are bounded because we have a democracy, a lot of responsibilities and a lot of answers have to be given by the GOI to its people and the opposition moreover, we don't have such a large defence budget, whereby we can outnumber china in terms of Navy and still be able to maintain it and run it. We just have to ensure that whatever we make is a quality product unlike chinese, who work on "quantity over quality". So, if they are making Subs, we are making ASW vessels, if they are making ACs we have Brahmos and upcoming hypersonic missiles.

If we have to defeat china, we'll have to do it first economically and then militarily.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Do you really think that we have to outnumber PLAN, we just have to be at the top of our game, we are bounded because we have a democracy, a lot of responsibilities and a lot of answers have to be given by the GOI to its people and the opposition moreover, we don't have such a large defence budget, whereby we can outnumber china in terms of Navy and still be able to maintain it and run it. We just have to ensure that whatever we make is a quality product unlike chinese, who work on "quantity over quality". So, if they are making Subs, we are making ASW vessels, if they are making ACs we have Brahmos and upcoming hypersonic missiles.

If we have to defeat china, we'll have to do it first economically and then militarily.
I absolutely agree with that.
Now let me explain my bone of contention.
Ins vikrant is already in waters that is IAC-I

Now from 2017 to 2035 in 18 years we have plan to build a single carrier that is IAC-II. How do we justify that.

Initially it was planned to have IAC-II in the water by 2027 .

By 2030 we will be 8-10 trillion dollars economy. We can finance another carrier without sweating.

Building a single Carrier in next 20 years is not sound for an emerging superpower.

republic_roi97

Country flag
I absolutely agree with that.
Now let me explain my bone of contention.
Ins vikrant is already in waters that is IAC-I

Now from 2017 to 2035 in 18 years we have plan to build a single carrier that is IAC-II. How do we justify that.

Initially it was planned to have IAC-II in the water by 2027 .

By 2030 we will be 8-10 trillion dollars economy. We can finance another carrier without sweating.

Building a single Carrier in next 20 years is not sound for an emerging superpower.
Well anything could happen in the next decade or 15 years, we might start construction of the next class of follow on carriers, or maybe finance the russians to build "SHTORM" suppercarrier for us.
But for now I think that we should invest the money into SSN and SSBN more of them and deploy them in the upcoming days to counter chinese influence.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
We need to start developing our own Electro Magnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) as well. Chinese one is nearly ready.

republic_roi97

Country flag
They claim it's EMAL, actually It's a CATOBAR

EMALS is a catapult that comes under CATOBAR.
CATOBAR is not a catapult, its the term for "aircraft carrier configuration that uses catapults for launch."
Yup these are steam catapults, but there are reports that they are working on their own EMALS system as well.

republic_roi97

Country flag
See the chinese are working on getting their hands on catapult system, regardless of weather its steam or EMALS. Steam is a proven system and is in use for a long time and might be comparatively more power efficient.
All this proves that chinese want quick expansion pf navy to counter western might. But the west has technical and quality edge over chinese.

airtel

Country flag
Indian Navy Buying Three EMALS Catapults for Future Supercarriers, Including INS Vishal

EMALS test on the USS Gerald R. Ford involving the launch into the ocean of large sleds on wheels to simulate the weight of an aircraft.

The Indian Navy confirms plans to integrate the U.S.-made Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) catapults into its future supercarriers by revealing the dispatch of Letters of Request (LoR) to the U.S. Department of Defense to buy this advanced aircraft launch system.

It said the LoRs cover the purchase of three EMALS under the U.S. Foreign Military Sales Program. Sources in the Indian Navy told media the LoRs were issued last February and are now under consideration by the Pentagon.

The navy expects the Pentagon to approve the LoRs and to issue its Letters of Acceptance (LoA) approving the deal within the next few months.

EMALS is being developed by U.S. defense contractor General Atomics for the U.S. Navy's newest class of nuclear supercarrier, the Gerald R. Ford. The lead ship of this class, the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), will be the first U.S. Navy carrier equipped with EMALS. The Ford is scheduled for deployment in 2019.

EMALS launches carrier-based aircraft from an aircraft catapult using a linear motor drive instead of the conventional steam piston drive.

Its main advantage is it allows for a more graded acceleration, inducing less stress on the aircraft's airframe. It's also lighter than a steam catapult system and cheaper to operate. In addition, EMALS can launch aircraft that are heavier or lighter than those handled by steam catapults.

"As far as General Atomics is concerned, we will be opening an office in the Indian capital to assist both the governments as required," said Vivek Lall, Chief Executive (Global Commercial Strategic Development) for General Atomics.

INS Vishal will deploy an EMALS catapult assisted take-off but arrested recovery (CATOBAR) aircraft launch system.

Her EMALS CATOBAR system will allow her to launch heavier aircraft like larger fighters; unmanned air combat vehicles (UCAVs); turbo-prop airborne early-warning aircraft and aerial refueling tankers. INS Vishal remains under development, however, and it is unclear when her construction will begin.

With a planned displacement of 65,000 metric tons, INS Vishal is the second ship of the Vikrant-class and the first supercarrier to be built in India.

http://www.defencenews.in/article/I...ure-Supercarriers,-Including-INS-Vishal-39211

republic_roi97

Country flag
Indian Navy Buying Three EMALS Catapults for Future Supercarriers, Including INS Vishal

EMALS test on the USS Gerald R. Ford involving the launch into the ocean of large sleds on wheels to simulate the weight of an aircraft.

The Indian Navy confirms plans to integrate the U.S.-made Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) catapults into its future supercarriers by revealing the dispatch of Letters of Request (LoR) to the U.S. Department of Defense to buy this advanced aircraft launch system.

It said the LoRs cover the purchase of three EMALS under the U.S. Foreign Military Sales Program. Sources in the Indian Navy told media the LoRs were issued last February and are now under consideration by the Pentagon.

The navy expects the Pentagon to approve the LoRs and to issue its Letters of Acceptance (LoA) approving the deal within the next few months.

EMALS is being developed by U.S. defense contractor General Atomics for the U.S. Navy's newest class of nuclear supercarrier, the Gerald R. Ford. The lead ship of this class, the USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), will be the first U.S. Navy carrier equipped with EMALS. The Ford is scheduled for deployment in 2019.

EMALS launches carrier-based aircraft from an aircraft catapult using a linear motor drive instead of the conventional steam piston drive.

Its main advantage is it allows for a more graded acceleration, inducing less stress on the aircraft's airframe. It's also lighter than a steam catapult system and cheaper to operate. In addition, EMALS can launch aircraft that are heavier or lighter than those handled by steam catapults.

"As far as General Atomics is concerned, we will be opening an office in the Indian capital to assist both the governments as required," said Vivek Lall, Chief Executive (Global Commercial Strategic Development) for General Atomics.

INS Vishal will deploy an EMALS catapult assisted take-off but arrested recovery (CATOBAR) aircraft launch system.

Her EMALS CATOBAR system will allow her to launch heavier aircraft like larger fighters; unmanned air combat vehicles (UCAVs); turbo-prop airborne early-warning aircraft and aerial refueling tankers. INS Vishal remains under development, however, and it is unclear when her construction will begin.

With a planned displacement of 65,000 metric tons, INS Vishal is the second ship of the Vikrant-class and the first supercarrier to be built in India.

http://www.defencenews.in/article/I...ure-Supercarriers,-Including-INS-Vishal-39211
That is awesome news, I am very happy,:balleballe:
BTW, I think they might consider building a catapult facility like china did.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
That is awesome news, I am very happy,:balleballe:
BTW, I think they might consider building a catapult facility like china did.
No need to dance

I don't think an Ac with emals catapult and nuclear propulsion is affordable.

We have 4 options
1.emals + conventional
2.steam + conventional
3.stobar+ conventional
4.stobar+nuclear

For a moment let's assume we go for emals + nuke powered Ac the costs will be $8 billion + as it will be younger sibling of gerald r Ford carrier which costs a whopping $12 bill+.

Reactions: G10

republic_roi97

Country flag
For a moment let's assume we go for emals + nuke powered Ac the costs will be $8 billion + as it will be younger sibling of gerald r Ford carrier which costs a whopping $12 bill+.
Yeah, sure, but we'll have it in 2030s by then our economy would be big enough to maintain a nuclear powered AC and as for its total cost, they don't have to pay everything at a go, it would be payed in installments.

republic_roi97

Country flag
Payments would be made over the course of 15-16 long years. Look at it in terms of the Indian economy of 2030s.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Yeah, sure, but we'll have it in 2030s by then our economy would be big enough to maintain a nuclear powered AC and as for its total cost, they don't have to pay everything at a go, it would be payed in installments.
By 2030
India will be 12 trillion dollar economy.
Will be affordable by then but not at the moment

republic_roi97

Country flag
By 2030
India will be 12 trillion dollar economy.
Will be affordable by then but not at the moment
Exactly, that is what I am saying bro. We will operate it in 2030s not today, we'll obviously have to pay for its construction but that would happen over 15 years of time.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Emals is old technology. What is the big deal, it going to nuclear powered and have 4 launch rails. As for the vikrant I hope they make a 2nd carrier for WNC while Vishal is being built and tested, as I read some where; the Cochin shipyard can make it 4 yrs. R33 can be used as a training ship.
Sent from my 2014818 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

republic_roi97

Country flag
I feel one EMALS will be for shore based testing and training like at INS Hansa and the rest will be for two carriers
Or maybe, all the three are for the Vishal. Because we see 3-4 catapults on a ship to launch multiple jets, maybe thats why they are going for 3 EMALS. Can't be sure though.

wuzetian

Hey can anybody tell me, whats the progress on INS Vikrant IAC-1 ??? When will sea trials begin ???
Is there anyone working in Cochin Shipyard in this forum? Recently all the three carriers were there at the same time . When I was working there I was lucky enough to attend to Viraat and junior Vikrant .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles