INS Vishal (IAC- II) Aircraft Carrier - Flattop or Ski Jump

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

delta

Country flag
But why were the Catapults removed? Were they considered inferior to ski jump
Sea Harriers didn't require a catapult. A ski jump based system also requires way lesser maintenance and can launch aircraft way more quickly than a catapult. hence the decision

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Sea Harriers didn't require a catapult. A ski jump based system also requires way lesser maintenance and can launch aircraft way more quickly than a catapult. hence the decision
Catapult launch is fatter.

Sent from my 2014818 using Tapatalk

republic_roi97

Country flag
Catapults launch heavier jets faster and without using the jets own propulsion energy much.

delta

Country flag
Catapult launch is fatter.

Sent from my 2014818 using Tapatalk
Catapults launch heavier jets faster and without using the jets own propulsion energy much.
i was referring to the time between launches of consecutive aircraft using a ski jump vs a catapult. i'm no naval expert but common sense would dictate that the former would have a lower time interval between launches as it does not require recharging the system and calibration of power settings as per the load.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Nuclear Powered INS Vishal, India’s First Supercarrier, will Deploy EMALS
INS Vishal (concept drawing). (Photo : Cochin Shipyard)
The guessing game is over. INS Vishal, India's first supercarrier that should see service with the Indian Navy (IN) in the early 2030s, will be nuclear powered.
She will be the first nuclear powered surface warship in the navy and the second in the navy as a whole. The navy's first nuclear powered warship is the Akula II-class nuclear attack submarine INS Chakra (S71). Unlike the INS Vishal, which will be made in India, the Chakra was leased from Russia for a period of 10 years starting in 2012.
The navy will also lease a second Akula-class submarine from Russia. The Akula I-class submarine expected to arrive in India in 2018 has been identified as the K-322 Kashalot (Sperm Whale), one of only three operational Akula I-class subs in the Russian Navy.
Indian media said sources in the IN revealed important details about INS Vishal, chief among which is will be powered by a nuclear reactor. The INS Vishal will also use a catapult assisted take-off but arrested recovery (CATOBAR) electromagnetic aircraft launch system (EMALS) similar to the system the U.S. Navy plans to deploy on its new Gerald R. Ford-class nuclear powered supercarriers.
The Gerald R. Ford-class is a class of supercarriers being built to replace some of the Navy's existing Nimitz-class carriers.
The decision to use nuclear propulsion, however, will set back the Vishal's entry into IN service from the early 2020s to the early 2030s. IN has no experience in operating a nuclear powered surface warship and will undoubtedly seek assistance from either the United States or France.
The U.S. Navy operates 10 Nimitz-class nuclear powered supercarriers. On the other hand, the French Navy operates the carrier Charles de Gaulle, the only nuclear-powered carrier outside the U.S. Navy. The Charles de Gaulle is the flagship of the French Navy (Marine Nationale).
With a displacement of 65,000 metric tons, INS Vishal is the second ship of the Vikrant-class and the first supercarrier to be built in India.
Her EMALS CATOBAR system will allow her to launch heavier aircraft like larger fighters; unmanned air combat vehicles (UCAVs); turbo-prop airborne early-warning aircraft and aerial refueling tankers. INS Vishal remains under development, however, and it is unclear when her construction will begin.
She will be built by state-owned Cochin Shipyard Limited in Kerala. Vishal is Sanskrit for "immense."
Please ignore negative gesture towards India. Cuz it is not pessimism but my source is ChinaTopix.com.:biggrin2:

IndianHawk

Country flag
Nuclear Powered INS Vishal, India’s First Supercarrier, will Deploy EMALS
INS Vishal (concept drawing). (Photo : Cochin Shipyard)

Please ignore negative gesture towards India. Cuz it is not pessimism but my source is ChinaTopix.com.:biggrin2:
It will come by early 30s then.
That's a setback. We could have build a smaller CATOBAR carrier by 2025 and simultaneously started working on bigger EMALS Carrier in 20s . We could have easily budgeted both in 2 decades timeframe .

republic_roi97

Country flag
It will come by early 30s then.
That's a setback. We could have build a smaller CATOBAR carrier by 2025 and simultaneously started working on bigger EMALS Carrier in 20s . We could have easily budgeted both in 2 decades timeframe .
No worries guys, we'll still have 2 AC operational and a lot of new subs and ASW Vessels, so I guess its worth waiting.

IndianHawk

Country flag
No worries guys, we'll still have 2 AC operational and a lot of new subs and ASW Vessels, so I guess its worth waiting.
Tell that to chinese they will build 4 carriers in 2020-30 while we wait for single American EMALS fitted carrier.:scared2:

IndianHawk

Country flag
I really don't guess it so extreme. Liaoning is for exercise. So, their first operational carrier is scheduled for 2018.
They can have 3-4 between 2030-35 and so are we with 3.
I know that but I also remember that there Carrier has developed way too fast than our vikrant.

What I am complaining about is time frame by 2035 vikramaditya will require refit and more maintainance.
It will also be quite small against Chinese carriers. We could have easily built another vikrant by 2025 . This would have given us required flexibility to wait for Vishal and not to worry about refit schedules.

Only reason for not doing so was budgeting but If Vishal commissions in 2030s budgeting was manageable.

What we are doing now is short - sighted.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I know that but I also remember that there Carrier has developed way too fast than our vikrant.

What I am complaining about is time frame by 2035 vikramaditya will require refit and more maintainance.
It will also be quite small against Chinese carriers. We could have easily built another vikrant by 2025 . This would have given us required flexibility to wait for Vishal and not to worry about refit schedules.

Only reason for not doing so was budgeting but If Vishal commissions in 2030s budgeting was manageable.

What we are doing now is short - sighted.
  1. We aren't building another Vikrant. It's really big carrier.
  2. Remember, we took 11 years for Kolkata class and unveiled Vizag class in 6 years. Drawn experience from IAC-1, IAC-2 won't be delayed much.

IndianHawk

Country flag
  1. We aren't building another Vikrant. It's really big carrier.
  2. Remember, we took 11 years for Kolkata class and unveiled Vizag class in 6 years. Drawn experience from IAC-1, IAC-2 won't be delayed much.
IAC -2 will be a different beast . EMALS will depend upon American assistant that can delay it (there laws and regulations)

Nuclear propulsion will further delay it (of which I have no doubt).

It's because of these uncertainties I am betting for another intermediate carrier however I understand thats not gonna happen

lupgain

Country flag

Very soul stirring and emotional video made by Bajaj for INS Vikrant.. Must watch

republic_roi97

Country flag
Hold the horses guys, chinese are yet to launch their AC, long from commissioning it. How is it possible that they'll have one operational by 2018 ?

republic_roi97

Country flag
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/11164324

They will face operational issues of course but they will have boats in the ocean.
Hmm, ok but within one year they'll finish it and complete trials and ready it up for induction ? Seeing that this is probably the longest they'd ever took to build a vessel, I guess it is going to take more than 2 more years for it to complete and get inducted.

Also, I have read that they have developed a facility with catapult system, allegedly an EMALS as well as steam based catapult facility somewhere.

We need to develop our own facilities for future ACs which can operate atleast a steam catapult for launching aircrafts. After working on EMALS with americans, we might as well try to make a indigenous version of it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles