INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Chinmoy

Country flag
Just one thought..........

In a CATOBAR setup, planes are generally hold up by the catapult prior to launch and its engine goes into after burner to give it pre-launch thrust. Then the catapult merely throws the aircraft off the carrier in immense speed and due to its engagement of after burner before the launch, it gets enough momentum to fly away.
Now can't the same concept be applied in a STOBAR launch? I mean there should be a mechanism to hold the fighter while it engages its after burner. Then it should be released and let it get launched from the ramp. We will need a longer ramp for this so that the aircraft gets enough space to build up on momentum.

Just a thought, but could it be so?

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Then could a longer ramp help us in launching more heavier aircraft?
All vikramaditya needs is to be converted to a 3 catapult design, with only nose wheel assembly changed of fighter planes, for launches. If done, you won't think of any other type to buy/fly/f@## from any country other then the eventual mk2.

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
All vikramaditya needs is to be converted to a 3 catapult design with only nose wheel assembly changed of fighter planes for launches.
Even one catapult design would mean redesigning and new architecture for the whole platform. I am just wondering on something of Ramp assisted takeoff for heavy planes.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Even one catapult design would mean redesigning and new architecture for the whole platform. I am just wondering on something of Ramp assisted takeoff for heavy planes.
Without knowing any details, the Vikranth was converted to a ski jump for Sea Harriers; it is quite possible to do the same for Vikramaditya and the new Vikranth as well. Just a thought, also the stress of procurement levitates its self from our current scenario.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Without knowing any details, the Vikranth was converted to a ski jump for Sea Harriers; it is quite possible to do the same for Vikramaditya and the new Vikranth as well. Just a thought, also the stress of procurement levitates its self from our current scenario.
When and where I said anything about Vikrant or Vikramaditya? All I am saying about is CATOBAR and STOBAR.

lcafanboy

Country flag
Can we use rocket assisted launch on ski jump of ins Vikramaditya where 2 launch rocket s are placed below engines and these rockets along with engines push Fighters and bigger planes over the ski jump to get it in air and then jettison the used rockets like it is done for some drones.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Can we use rocket assisted launch on ski jump of ins Vikramaditya where 2 launch rocket s are placed below engines and these rockets along with engines push Fighters and bigger planes over the ski jump to get it in air and then jettison the used rockets like it is done for some drones.
Novel idea for 1 ton drones, but not quiet effective for 6 ton fighters. JATO or RATO has more safety related threat then its usefulness.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
When and where I said anything about Vikrant or Vikramaditya? All I am saying about is CATOBAR and STOBAR.
Sir,
this was stated by me for the loadout problem faced by the navy; it is quite possible to convert the carriers from stobar to catobar in the near future.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Sir,
this was stated by me for the loadout problem faced by the navy; it is quite possible to convert the carriers from stobar to catobar in the near future.
Actually I am not even talking about converting from STOBAR to CATOBAR. A CATOBAR equipped ship would obviously be too heavy then any of the current class of ships India operate and transformation would be too costly. Moreover its a time taking process.

salute

......................................................................................

delta

Country flag
Bhai, its Interesting that it appears as though the MiG's don't use the blast deflectors on take-off..!!! while Russian Su-33 & Chinese J-15 do need blast deflectors ...
i guess the IN's doctrine doesn't require one.

on the liaoning and kuznetsov, blast deflectors at the short takeoff position make sense because there are aircraft and personnel behind the plane. not so sure as to their utility at the long takeoff position.

coming to the vikramaditya, if you observe the long takeoff position, there would be no requirement of a blast deflector as there is barely any space behind. for the short takeoff, i'd agree ki it may be required.

archie

Country flag
i guess the IN's doctrine doesn't require one.

on the liaoning and kuznetsov, blast deflectors at the short takeoff position make sense because there are aircraft and personnel behind the plane. not so sure as to their utility at the long takeoff position.

coming to the vikramaditya, if you observe the long takeoff position, there would be no requirement of a blast deflector as there is barely any space behind. for the short takeoff, i'd agree ki it may be required.
Blast Deflectors allow for another aircraft to get ready directly behind for launch .. Its like a production line each stage does one step... thereby increasing the number of aircraft launches in a given time period..

I guess the deck space dont allow for that many launches if there is blast deflectors .. like in Viki forward lift cant be used when take off is happening cause of location .. and stuff... i guess they accepted limitations for other reasons .. no other A/C was in the market for the price ...

lcafanboy

Country flag
Indian Navy fires surface-to-air missile from INS Vikramaditya
The maiden trial firing of newly installed surface-to-air missile (SAM) system from aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.
HIGHLIGHTS

• The Indian Navy this week successfully conducted the maiden trial firing of newly installed surface-to-air missile (SAM) system from its aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.
  • During the firing carried out in the Arabian Sea, the missile was fired against a live low flying high speed target, the official statement said.

NEW DELHI: The Indian Navy this week successfully conducted the maiden trial firing of newly installed surface-to-air missile (SAM) system from its aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, an official statement said on Friday.

"During the firing carried out in the Arabian Sea, the missile was fired against a live low flying high speed target. The target was successfully engaged and destroyed," the statement said.

The test was carried out on Wednesday, as part of the Operational Readiness Inspection of the Western Fleet by
Western Naval Command chief Vice Admiral Girish Luthra.

"The missile marks a significant milestone in providing air interception and defence capabilities, thus enhancing operational capabilities of the Navy's aircraft carrier and the fleet," the statement added.

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/ind...rom-ins-vikramaditya/articleshow/57816446.cms

kstriya

Country flag
Indian Navy fires surface-to-air missile from INS Vikramaditya
The maiden trial firing of newly installed surface-to-air missile (SAM) system from aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.
HIGHLIGHTS

• The Indian Navy this week successfully conducted the maiden trial firing of newly installed surface-to-air missile (SAM) system from its aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.
  • During the firing carried out in the Arabian Sea, the missile was fired against a live low flying high speed target, the official statement said.

NEW DELHI: The Indian Navy this week successfully conducted the maiden trial firing of newly installed surface-to-air missile (SAM) system from its aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, an official statement said on Friday.

"During the firing carried out in the Arabian Sea, the missile was fired against a live low flying high speed target. The target was successfully engaged and destroyed," the statement said.

The test was carried out on Wednesday, as part of the Operational Readiness Inspection of the Western Fleet by
Western Naval Command chief Vice Admiral Girish Luthra.

"The missile marks a significant milestone in providing air interception and defence capabilities, thus enhancing operational capabilities of the Navy's aircraft carrier and the fleet," the statement added.

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/ind...rom-ins-vikramaditya/articleshow/57816446.cms
Is it Barak 8, that was tested?

Global Defence

Articles