INS Sindhurakshak catches fire at naval dockyard in Mumbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthSniper

I can't believe that this submarine has just been overhauled and now this happens. I hope the best for the navymen onboard and I hope they make it out alive and well. This is a big blow to our already depleting weak submarine force.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Russian missiles & System malfunction at very hi rate, Compare to our own ..

In Army there are fire trails at different branches twice a year, Foreign visitors and Guests take tours of these trails, I have been in last 3 tours in last 2 years..

Hence my remarks..

Incomplete statement, care to elaborate?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I can't believe that this submarine has just been overhauled and now this happens. I hope the best for the navymen onboard and I hope they make it out alive and well. This is a big blow to our already depleting weak submarine force.
very remote change of any survival, specially when sub was docked and inside sub they have not closed all hatches, when first explosion has happen, but lets not lose hope. Lets hope for best and they survives if any need all our best wishes

From the video looks like first explosion has happen at the back side of sub and later secondary explosion possibly from Club missile and torpedo.

pankaj nema

Country flag
This accident shows how dangerous working in a submarine is

Perhaps something which we may not have given enough thought earlier

Imagine being locked in a room with EXPLOSIVES

Outside this room there is only water

And then A fire starts in the room And You cant escape

JBH22

Russian missiles & System malfunction at very hi rate, Compare to our own ..

In Army there are fire trails at different branches twice a year, Foreign visitors and Guests take tours of these trails, I have been in last 3 tours in last 2 years..

Hence my remarks..
Partly true, but you have to factor in how these ammos are stored and if these are exceeding shelf life.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its true not partly, I am not saying here anything partly, i know how are they are kept and i know what kind they use ..

Not much info i would share on open forum..

Partly true, but you have to factor in how these ammos are stored and if these are exceeding shelf life.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
from the explosions which were massive, i think with Klub missile on board, i fear that it will be like Russian Krusk submarine type damage to the front side of submarine.

because of this pic

Hope it look bad in night and i am wrong about the damage.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Its true not partly, I am not saying here anything partly, i know how are they are kept and i know what kind they use ..

Not much info i would share on open forum..
All i can say if we make it here and we make proper things, based on our requirements and our way of doing things based on what we want. Right now we are doing what Russians do.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Alert Mumbai fire officer helps save 2nd submarine from disaster

A second submarine berthed near INS Sindhurakshak submarine that exploded and sank was saved from a possible disaster thanks to an alert senior Mumbai Fire Brigade officer who was near the mishap spot.

The blast shortly after midnight was heard ashore by Deputy Chief Fire Officer P S Rahandale who was on leave.

Rahandale, who showed a presence of mind, said today he saw a huge explosion on a ship near Gateway of India while returning home after attending a private engagement.

The officer said he immediately alerted his superiors about the tall flames that was leaping from the ill-fated vessel.

"....I saw a huge explosion on a ship and because of my experience whatever I saw I thought it is going to be a big one and because of that maximum resources were immediately deployed," Rahandale told TV channels.

Rahandale said that as he reached closer to the mishap spot he saw one sub was engulfed in fire while another sub which was about 8 to 15 feet away was "partially" on fire.

Rahandale said his team of firemen and Navy's Fire brigade personnel immediately "attacked" the flames that were near the second sub.

From the dozens of fire tenders a wall of high pressure stream of water was built between INS Sindhurakshak and the second sub with the help of eight to nine water cannons.

"Because of timely intervention of my team, my resources along with Navy resources we could save that second submarine," Rahandale said.

Naval Chief Admiral D K Joshi said the flames that leapt from the sinking vessel touched the outer casing of the second sub--also a Sindhughosh-class submarine like INS Sindhurakshak.

There was no damage to the second sub, he said, adding the vessel was quickly taken to safety.

Alert Mumbai fire officer helps save 2nd submarine from disaster | Business Standard

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
If the fire has reached torpedo room, then sub will be write off. Explosions were massive. Hope this would not go Krusk way to the extent of damage.

t_co

This accident shows how dangerous working in a submarine is

Perhaps something which we may not have given enough thought earlier

Imagine being locked in a room with EXPLOSIVES

Outside this room there is only water

And then A fire starts in the room And You cant escape
Let's not forget that it's a tiny room and you're crowded with 40-50 other guys - and you can't leave this room for an entire month.

IBSA

Country flag
RIP :rip:

Rest in Pani

For the 18 killed shall be cremated and their ashes thrown in Ganga

nirranj

Country flag
The below image is the Rosyth naval yard in the UK.

The below is the image of mumbai naval yard from Google maps,

We need to move the naval yard out of the city and take it to a remote place where the navy will be free from the populace.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Tragedy exposes unpreparedness of navy to handle deep sea rescue

The Sindhurakshak disaster has underlined the sad state of the Indian Navy's rescue capabilities if a tragedy were to strike deep in the seas, a senior navy official told HT.

The navy doesn't have any deep-submergence rescue vessels (DSRV) or submarine rescue chambers to save lives in the event of a disaster. Its efforts to procure submarine rescue equipment have yielded no results over the last 15 years.

"The tragedy has focused attention on the lack of submarine rescue equipment in the navy. It would have been an absolute disaster had the accident taken place 100 metres under water," said former navy chief Admiral Arun Prakash.

When former President APJ Abdul Kalam went on a sortie on the INS Sindhurakshak in 2006, India had to request the US Navy to deploy its DSRVs and other rescue equipment in case something went wrong.

The Indian Navy does have an understanding with the US Navy to make use of their DSRVs to rescue submariners, but it may not be immediately available.

A DSRV can rescue 24 sailors at one go from an ocean, linking up with a wrecked submarine's hatch.

The two navies had conducted a joint exercise last year — INDIAEX-2012 — to "rescue" submariners trapped under the sea. The navy, currently, only has basic underwater rescue facilities.

Navy officials said in case of a disaster during a patrol thousands of miles away from home shores, the crew members would only have pressurised escape suits to count on. "Even these pressurised suits are helpful only if the submarine is at a certain depth. If it's deep down below, they are ineffective," a navy official said.

The navy could carry out rescue with the help of diving support vessels such as INS Nireekshak, but again there are limitations if rescue has to be carried out below a certain depth.

Tragedy exposes unpreparedness of navy to handle deep sea rescue - Hindustan Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles