INS Sindhurakshak catches fire at naval dockyard in Mumbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasi

INS Sindhurakshak was commissioned in 26 June 1997.
After the fire damage in 2010, Sindhurakshak was sent to Russia for a two and a half year refit, overhaul and upgrade. In August 2010,Sindhurakshak arrived at Zvezdochka shipyard in Russia. The submarine was modernized repaired, and retrofitted under Project 08773, and after the upgrades the sea trials started in October 2012. The upgrades included improved electronic warfare systems, integrated weapon control system and a new cooling system, and were expected to extend the service live of the submarine by ten years. The Club-S(3M54E1 anti-ship and 3M14E land attack) missiles, USHUSsonar, СCS-MK-2 radio communication systems and Porpoise radio-locating radar, and other safety-enhancing features were incorporated. The submarine was handed back to the Indian navy on 27 January 2013, after which it sailed back to India, under the command of Commander Rajesh Ramkumar. This was the first time an Indian submarine had navigated under ice.
On the way,

India's submarine INS Sindhurakshak received help from Egyptian Navy when it encountered extreme bad weather and rough sea on its way back home after mid-life up-gradation in Russia.
The Sindhurakshak, a RussianKilo Class submarine built in 1997 at Admiralteiskie Verfi shipyard in St Petersburg, underwent mid-life up-gradation.
The Egyptian Navy towed the submarine to Port Said along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea in March, sources said.
Welcoming the gesture, Indian ambassador to Egypt Navdeep Suri
praised the professional handling by the Egyptian Navy.
In thank you cable to Egypt's Defence and Military Production Minister Gen Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi, Suri said,"(Egyptian) Naval troops towed the submarine in a professional way to a safe Egyptian port", the official MENA news agency reported.
Egyptian navy helps Indian submarine in distress - Indian Express
/

JBH22

we can afford but Russian Quality has gone down
don't make a fool of yourself by saying this, we are worst than Russian when it comes to quality check out your desi hardware.

as to money well we are still flogging the Mig 21 and Mig 27 when Russians themselves withdrew these planes and we complain about quality.

Let's wait for Navy statement before putting blame on Russians.

nimo_cn

Country flag
terrorist attack?

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

ramakrishna

Sad news for us, INS recently launches new Aircraft carrier INS Vikrant-class before they complete their Joy disaster took place in Mumbai naval dock yard, rescue operations are still going they are searching for the 18 people who are missing from the time accident. Some say that they have lost their lives but it not declared officially. This not for the first time INS Sindhurakshak had experienced few fire accidents earlier but officials failed to take enough measures

Shirman

Country flag
RIP

Independence Day celebration should be in a somber manner

But i feel that don't rule out the possibility of Sabotage given it strategic timing with Indo-Pak tension, new advancements regarding nuclear Sub INS ARIHANT and indigenous aircraft carrier INS VIKRANT must have hurt some people and all but its time i would like to advice to IN that it should move its naval installations away from Mumbai which has always been on Terrorist radar by we all know which country.....Local fisherman are notoriously linked to underworld/ Smuggling Gang lords who may track / give away critical info of IN movements via GCC /enemy country settled terrorist/ Gang lords...........

rvjpheonix

Country flag
RIP

Independence Day celebration should be in a somber manner

But i feel that don't rule out the possibility of Sabotage given it strategic timing with Indo-Pak tension, new advancements regarding nuclear Sub INS ARIHANT and indigenous aircraft carrier INS VIKRANT must have hurt some people and all but its time i would like to advice to IN that it should move its naval installations away from Mumbai which has always been on Terrorist radar by we all know which country.....Local fisherman are notoriously linked to underworld/ Smuggling Gang lords who may track / give away critical info of IN movements via GCC /enemy country settled terrorist/ Gang lords...........
The navy is supposed to protect the people not themselves and thats what they are doing by protecting high risk areas. And no there is no huge underworld of yesteryear.

kaustav2001

Country flag
A very sad day indeed... RIP to the Brave submariners & condolences to their families. Not only did we lose equipment but we lost qualified/experiences submariners & that along with the impact this accident will have on our security preparedness is an unfathomable loss.

sasi

Second sub is safe. Only first hatchet is opened. Works are ON to pump out water from 3 compartments. So that sub will automatically surface.
Due to shallow water zero visiblity navy divers are trying their best. Other units are standby.
3 officiers and 15 crews feared dead..RIP...
Sabatage and battery accident is ruled out. Since battery recharge is done 3 days ago.

Shirman

Country flag
The navy is supposed to protect the people not themselves and thats what they are doing by protecting high risk areas. And no there is no huge underworld of yesteryear.
Thanks for letting me know whom i am talking to
Here's a link especially for you :- http://www.indianexpress.com/news/indian-girl-pak-boyfriend-arrested-for-gold-smuggling/1155372/

Basically my only suggestion is take our Arabian sea /western sea based coastal installations seriously

Some 2 years back I think it was in July 2011 while making a trip to Elephanta Islands and Ajanta Caves with my family I remember I saw which I later found out via net that they were Talwar class Frigate, a Delhi class distroyer, some Patrol boats and IN Missile boats(sorry I admit my naval knowledge is weak) all lazily laying to the left side of Gate way of India I think people call it by some pier name near Dock yard area."¦"¦.I told my Ferry Launch boat captain guy are these lying like this all the time and he replied to me saab ye sab aise hi rahte hai"¦"¦..Log iske bhi Photo late hai"¦"¦"¦.basically it's a stand alone "open" shallow water port which any one on board fishing boats, Cargo Freighters, Oil tankers frequently / regularly visiting Mumbai Harbour could take a look via zoom in digi cameras, binoculars or telescopes and track movements"¦"¦..

My heartfelt condolences to those valiant sailors of our great who have lost their precious life on duty"¦"¦"¦..

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I salute those unsung heroes who died in the line of duty.

Having said that, India is a great country.

We have seen worst things than this.

From Partition to Kargil war and defending Rann of Kutch to far east ends of Shivalik range of Himalayas from rouge states we have been spending great fortunes. Our reaction to such loss should be mature not cynical.

The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise.

RIP my mates, my brothers..............

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Shanti to those who died. I am shocked to see the sailors dying in the shipyard itself ! What kind of safety measures were there in the submarine?

H.A.

May their soul Rest in Peace...

I believe there will be a few changes the way the ships are docked, the navy will probably space out the boats and submarine so that an accident on one will not effect the other ships.

Also i believe the real reason will never be made public, after a few days the media will forget about the incident and so will the entire nation.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag

dealwithit

Navy chief doesn't 'rule out sabotage

Admiral DK Joshi told the media after defence minister AK Antony visited the disaster site that any number of factors could have led to the tragedy that is believed to have killed 18 officers and sailors. He said initially there was a primary explosion of smaller intensity which in turn caused a major explosion, destroying ammunition stored in the front section of the deep sea attack vessel.

"We cannot rule out sabotage," he said. "But indications at this point do not support the (sabotage) theory.
"At this point of time we are unable to put a finger on what exactly could have gone wrong."

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am well aware of Russian quality and our own at firing range ..

don't make a fool of yourself by saying this, we are worst than Russian when it comes to quality check out your desi hardware.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This is horrible news..

I was out on tour, Hoping to congt all on Independence day here, And this ... :(

==========================
==========================

The submarine will not see service for many years to come if its even serviceable, The explosion size seems like torpedo explosion ..

Russian torpedo use acid based fuel, Some time they explode if there is a leak, These fuel are extremely reactive to metal..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles