INS Sindhurakshak catches fire at naval dockyard in Mumbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_co

Dear t_co, from your post, I remember 2 things. When bad news strikes or bad things happen, people fell bad and let down. Its ok. More importantly, people like us Indians should move on and get back to shape quickly. Here's what we need to do:

> Similar incident with 2 x IL-38 crash had taken place, replaced by 2 second hand planes from Russia. Same way, we should lease / buy 2nd Hand Kilos from Russia for attrition replacements, and also to look into depleting sub numbers in the short term. The modernization programme can continue without any stoppages, please, with help from Russian shipyard, only because their delivery is better than ours at the moment. Indian shipyards also must be involved, so we gain tech know-how. Balance is required.

> INS Sindughosh is at bottom of dock with 18 sailors trapped inside. This is a scenario we will encounter often. Preparation in terms of equipment and personnel can certainly be improved. I would have been happy to hear news like, "trapped sailors rescued quickly by Naval Divers." What must be done to make sure this type of scenario can be achieved ? This should ideally be done by Indian Navy personnel, who can do it, already having many achievements to their credit.

> Submarine handling procedures for loading / unloading armaments, availability of safety equipment nearby, etc. is very basic in these situations, any organization undergoing even commonly available ISO certification must have clear procedures / fire escape plan / equipment / etc. Navy to please re-look as to causes which created this situation, and potential effects of some of the actions on the ground. It is serious, Submarine lost when fleet is already depleted.

> Sabotage of submarines is cheapest way for an enemy to guarantee victory without fighting. A successful sabotage is the result of many factors, which have to be looked into, deeply.

t_co, you have brought clarity to my thinking, for which I have to thank you. I am indeed grateful.
Interesting that you make no mention of compensating the families of the dead in your long and 'clarity'-filled digression.

Dinesh_Kumar

From your empathy, I know you don't want the same fate for our Navy Sailors, as to what happened to indigenous people in Tibet and rural China when their livelihoods and land were forcibly taken over by the Chinese Government, poor b***ards. I feel your empathy, my clever friend.......

Rest assured, the Navy is a very benevolent organization , and relief will be made available to the families. Once again I thank you for your sympathy, sitting in China , and concerned about us, here in India........why, the distance between you and I must be about 3500 upto 5500 km over land, as the crow flies. Minimum must be 750 km, maybe upto 1900 km with a different calculation, by sea. An by plane, maybe upto 5500 - 8000 km, with one in-flight refuelling, depending on the plane of course....

I'm not rejoicing. I feel bad for the families of these brave men. I wonder what the INS will offer them as compensation.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Interesting that you make no mention of compensating the families of the dead in your long and 'clarity'-filled digression.
All the service personals are insured and they get compensation as per service rules. Not spot brining in fake concern.

sasi

Explosion is big. Video is taken from a distance. First hand information is 18 sailors are trapped. I hope that's not true.
I believe any loss of life is occured. It will mainly due to suffocation of smoke, fire and explosion.
Nearly 1 and half hour is taken to control the fire. It is worrisome!

nirranj

Country flag
This is relatively a new submarine. We should look into the angle of sabotage too.

My prayers are with the sailors who are trapped in the fire. I hope the navy has emergency response teams that can respond to saving trapped sailors in fire hit submarines or sinking submarines.

This incident is also a wake-up call for speeding up the construction of P75 submarines.

nirranj

Country flag
All the service personals are insured and they get compensation as per service rules. Not spot brining in fake concern.
India is a democracy and even if the govt doesn't do anything for the men who die in service, citizens of India are free to support them. Every time our men die in service, not only the services compensate their families, but also the central and state govts too pay along with patriots and even young children who take up the cause to themselves.

this is what a free country is always. we need not worry about some poor man who doesn't have civil rights in his own country...

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
From India Today

The explosion on the INS Sindhurakshak has caused extensive damage, the Indian Navy submarine is likely to be written off: Sources.

Another submarine, INS Sindhuratna, also damaged in the explosion on the INS Sindhurakshak.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Heads should also role. What they were doing with all that explosives late at night. RIP to dead.

trackwhack

Its already sunk. Any inside info on the sailors? Anyone? Has there been any kind of communication established?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Given the images in the video, there is no chance of that sub being ever serviceable.

I sympathise with the Chinese for their submarine accidents and feel sorry that we have not learnt from the Chinese lackadaisical approach.

Interestingly, the Chinese have had accidents not only on operational submarines, but also during construction.

2003 - explosion on board an overcrowded Ming-class diesel-powered submarine, Navy Submarine No. 361, killed 70. The capacity of the submarine was for 57 men, including 10 officers. The exact cause of the explosion is unclear, but the submarine most likely did not sink.

August 2011 - radioactivity release on board an 8,000-ton Type 094 Jin-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine, docked in Dalian. According to reports, China Era Electronics Corporation was installing an electronic system when the leak occurred.

Details are unclear, but The Washington Post reported in 2003 that there had been other incidents, including "the reported explosion of a Xia class nuclear submarine during construction", and that one of the first Ming-class submarines was scrapped because a fire broke out on board also during construction.

Washington Post: Breaking News, World, US, DC News & Analysis

70 die in China submarine accident | Mail Online

70 die in China submarine accident | Mail Online

Inside China - Washington Times

How many more accidents have happened is never going to be known from a country where news of events is sealed in an airtight secrecy lest it has to be added to the 100 years plus of National Shame!

Last edited:

vishwaprasad

Country flag
So sad if we have lost our brave officers in this...hope everybody is alright...and its too bad to see that we lost our major underwater arm capacity that too on a day before whole nation was ready to celebrate independence day.... so sad...

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Heads should also role. What they were doing with all that explosives late at night. RIP to dead.
Indeed, they will roll.

However, the military works 24 x 7.

There is no distinction between working during day or night and anyway there is the weekly night training that is done.

Further in a submarine, one cannot fathom whether it is aay or night or what the weather is like!

pankaj nema

Country flag
This submarine was also involved in another fire accident ; though a small one in 2010

In February 2010, the INS Sindhurakshak also suffered a fire while docked in Visakhapatnam city in southern India, killing a 24-year-old sailor and leaving two others with burns.

Source Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

sob

Mod
Country flag
My condolences to the families of the dead sailors.

Indeed a very sad day and definitely not the way I would have liked it to start.

IN has to learn lessons from this tragedy and ensure that it is not repeated in the future.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The 18 Indian Navy personnel on board INS Sindhurakshak have now been on board the submarine for nearly 12 hrs.

Rescue personnel unable to open hatches to enter INS Sindhurakshak. Explosion has severely distorted, jammed all entry points. - Shiv Aroor.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I hope for the safety of sailors. It will be a big loss for us if we they are dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles