INS Chakra/Akula II

Phantom

If it wasn't going to act as a 'Potential Threat', would India bother with it in the first place? Any/every weapon is a 'potential threat' as befits it's magnitude.:lol:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Brahmos are enough for PN, their is no need of nuclear submarine to take care of PN.

lookieloo

with respect, i will call this statement over confidence
Perhaps he was referring to Brahmos combined with SSK platforms (of which none exist yet), in which case, he's right to say that's enough to deal with the PN.

For dealing with the PLAN?..... not so much.

India's surface-fleet is shaping-up nicely, and such vessels will be very effective as symbols of political influence. However, SSNs are where a global-navy's real combat capability lies (SSKs are too short legged to project such power). I think Arihant is a very good starting-point, and the design is probably adaptable for such a role as improvements are made; but you'll need to build more than just 4-6 of these boats.

bhramos

Country flag
need some more info about Akula-2 sessors..

Sensors Sox LSM-200 "Toucan" in the superstructure, and fence cutting PLA K-157 "Wild Boar" Pr. 971 AKULA-II

Sea Eagle

As per latest reports the Chakra is all set to enter a 3 months long refit.. The first one since it was inducted into Indian Navy in 2012

akshay m

India will have to rent Russian nuclear submarine
India has begun negotiations with Russia to lease nuclear submarine K-322 "Kashalot" Project 971 "Pike-B", informs "Interfax" referring to a source in the Russian military-industrial complex. If the parties sign a contract until the end of 2015, the ship can be delivered to the customer already in 2018.

According to the source agency, before the submarine will be leased, it will be modernized in accordance with the requirements of the Indian Navy. Work will be performed Amur Shipyard, where now is the K-322. A total revision "Kashalot", its testing and training of Indian crew will take three years. Indian Ministry of Defence is considering the lease nuclear submarine for a period of ten years.

The fact that India is considering the possibility of renting the submarine Project 971, it became known in December 2014. Then the Indian Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said that the Defense Ministry is considering two options: the extension of the lease of the submarine "Chakra" (K-152 "Seal") Project 971 or rent the second ship of the "Pike-B." On the timing of the final decision Parrikar then spoke.

It was also reported that the Indian military department interested in the possibility of renting a submarine "Irbis" Project 971I tab which took place in 1994. Readiness of the ship with the serial number 519 is estimated at 46-48 per cent; at the time of freezing construction in the Amur shipyard in 2011, was formed by the pressure hull of the submarine. Earlier, India declared its readiness to consider funding the completion of the submarine and its subsequent lease.

Currently, the Indian Navy submarine worth "Chakra", built in Russia under the project 971 "Pike-B." Contract on leasing the ship was signed in 2004, and its cost was about $ 980 million (it was originally set at $ 650 million). Delivery of the ship to the customer regularly delayed; the contract of 2004 it was assumed that India will "Chakra" in 2008.Индия возьмет у России в аренду атомную подлодку «Кашалот» - ВПК.name

uoftotaku

Country flag
Either the reporting is wrong or we might be being taken for a ride again by the Russians because sources indicating the cost to be $2.7B which will be more than triple what was paid for Chakra II / Nerpa. I personally suspect that we might be negotiating for not 1 but 2 additional subs. Why I say this is because there are currently 2 Akula-II's in Sevmash that were removed from the Pacific Fleet for overhaul and modernization (a client of mine, Dockwise, was contracted for the logistics). These 2 subs are the Kashalot K-322 which is mentioned AND her sister the Bratsk K-391. Both are amongst the oldest Akula's left (being commissioned in 1988 & 1989 respectively) which would mean extensive and deep modernization will be needed. There is also a 60% finished hull, Iribis which is lying in Amur Shipyard that had previously been offered to us but given that the yard itself is now in no fit state to conduct such works it seems calmer heads have prevailed. Another vessel Kuzbass K-419 has been in overhaul / refit for a number of years now and may also be on the table if the Russians are short of funds. A fleet of 4 SSN's to hold us down until our 6 domestic ones come into service will be quite a strategic coup.

Last edited:

grampiguy

Either the reporting is wrong or we might be being taken for a ride again by the Russians because sources indicating the cost to be $1.7B which will be more than double what was paid for Chakra II / Nerpa. I personally suspect that we might be negotiating for not 1 but 2 additional subs. Why I say this is because there are currently 2 Akula-II's in Sevmash that were removed from the Pacific Fleet for overhaul and modernization (a client of mine, Dockwise, was contracted for the logistics). These 2 subs are the Kashalot K-322 which is mentioned AND her sister the Bratsk K-391. Both are amongst the oldest Akula's left (being commissioned in 1988 & 1989 respectively) which would mean extensive and deep modernization will be needed. There is also a 60% finished hull, Iribis which is lying in Amur Shipyard that had previously been offered to us but given that the yard itself is now in no fit state to conduct such works it seems calmer heads have prevailed. Another vessel Kuzbass K-419 has been in overhaul / refit for a number of years now and may also be on the table if the Russians are short of funds. A fleet of 4 SSN's to hold us down until our 6 domestic ones come into service will be quite a strategic coup.
The price mentioned in India Today article is USD $ 2.7 billion..Its quite high..

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
The hulls under negotiation are Kashalot and Iribis. Not Bratsk. Bratsk would be modernized for use by Russian Pacific fleet. If all goes well we will get Kashalot by 2017 and Iribis by 2020. Iribis hull might be transported to Sevmash to finish construction.

By the time Nerpa's lease period ends in 2022, we should have at least 1 indigenous SSN in the water. If not (delay in Indigenous SSN project), buy option after the lease period might also be exercised.

Either the reporting is wrong or we might be being taken for a ride again by the Russians because sources indicating the cost to be $2.7B which will be more than triple what was paid for Chakra II / Nerpa. I personally suspect that we might be negotiating for not 1 but 2 additional subs. Why I say this is because there are currently 2 Akula-II's in Sevmash that were removed from the Pacific Fleet for overhaul and modernization (a client of mine, Dockwise, was contracted for the logistics). These 2 subs are the Kashalot K-322 which is mentioned AND her sister the Bratsk K-391. Both are amongst the oldest Akula's left (being commissioned in 1988 & 1989 respectively) which would mean extensive and deep modernization will be needed. There is also a 60% finished hull, Iribis which is lying in Amur Shipyard that had previously been offered to us but given that the yard itself is now in no fit state to conduct such works it seems calmer heads have prevailed. Another vessel Kuzbass K-419 has been in overhaul / refit for a number of years now and may also be on the table if the Russians are short of funds. A fleet of 4 SSN's to hold us down until our 6 domestic ones come into service will be quite a strategic coup.

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
The price mentioned in India Today article is USD $ 2.7 billion..Its quite high..
$2.7b is very high for 1 sub, but the amount actually might be for 2 subs. Kashalot and Iribis.

indiandefencefan

Country flag
$2.7b is very high for 1 sub, but the amount actually might be for 2 subs. Kashalot and Iribis.
The wikipedia page for the akula class subs states that india is negotiating for 2 subs the kashalot and irbis but uptill now all the news reports claim only 1 hull is being negotiated upon. We will just have to wait and see.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles