INS Chakra/Akula II

luckyy

Russia will lease only one nuclear submarine to India: Official

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ine-to-India-Official/articleshow/4688295.cms

"We will lease only one submarine. In my opinion, India needs the sub more for enhancing its prestige rather than for accomplishing specific goals," deputy head of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Here's the whole report with the link :

MOSCOW: A senior Russian official said his government was leasing only one Akula class nuclear attack submarine to India.

"We will lease only one submarine. In my opinion, India needs the sub more for enhancing its prestige rather than for accomplishing specific goals," deputy head of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, was quoted as saying by RIA Novosti.

He denied a report by Interfax Military Newswire, which quoted defence officials as saying that the Indian Navy would get two submarines on lease.

Dzirkaln underscored that the contract envisioned only the transfer of the Nerpa submarine, which is to resume trials next month for delivery to the Indian Navy by the end of this year.

India reportedly paid USD 650 million for a 10-year lease of the 12,000-ton K-152 Nerpa, a Shchuka-B class (NATO codename Akula II) nuclear-powered attack submarine and the completion of the Soviet-era vessel was partly financed by New Delhi.

Akula II class vessels are considered the quietest and deadliest of all Russian nuclear-powered attack submarines.

Russia will lease only one nuclear submarine to India: Official - India - The Times of India

NikSha

the reason given is shocking....
"Shocking" in a good or bad way? Cause it sounds like he's saying that we don't even need a sub to annihilate a target from the face of this earth and are just looking for one to look cool and shit. :p

No seriously though, we need to start looking at countries who aren't trying to milk money from us 24/7 and who actually deliver something on time.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Russia's probably very upset at the amount of contracts they are losing.
On the other hand,
I don't think its such a blow, as long as the ATV program is on track.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Well, we don't have to lose our sleep over these nuclear subs. These are good enough only when inducted in numbers not in 1 or 2.

NikSha

Two words: Indigenous Development

When will our corrupt politicians wake up and try doing some good for starters? Like I said, spend some cash into R&D instead of random "poverty alleviation projects" in China (FFS, of all the countries). It won't kill them to actually be exporters of such war tech for once, look at ISRO.. we can do anything if we have the will.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
May be its due to fresh/latest negotiations of Vikramaditya Deal. There were some speculations , Akulas are actually part of the Deal.

We are happy to pay Posedions (400 mil $ ) against BAE bid , but not 700 mil $ for a almost whole new carrier.

Zmey Smirnoff

No seriously though, we need to start looking at countries who aren't trying to milk money from us 24/7 and who actually deliver something on time.

Good luck leasing nuclear attack sub from some other country on this planet...

Try Jupiter.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Russia is crazy! how can Russia lease stratgecal weapons like nuke subs to others?

Zmey Smirnoff

Nuke attack sub is not a "strategical" weapon. Please learn to differentiate between attack and missile subs.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
This leased Russian nuke attack sub like the previous one will be used in gaining knowhow to implement in the ATV programme.
Attack subs don't carry Ballistic missiles but are used to attack other subs.

NikSha

Good luck leasing nuclear attack sub from some other country on this planet...

Try Jupiter.
I dunno, do Jupiterians overcharge for servicing to even producing new (or leasing old) hardware?

Also, I know it's hard to comprehend but I wasn't exactly talking about just subs there. We can always just lease these subs and go buy other hardware from other countries. Good luck selling expensive shit to Pakistan and China afterwards. :rolleyes:

NikSha

Do we even need one? I mean it's not like anyone is retarded enough to attack India at all using nukes, forget nuclear submarine (forget eavesdropping as well). Might as well spend money on fighters and missiles which can take care of subs from air.

Country flag
Until our AGNI'S are in full swing we need another platform to guarantee a second strike capability and nuke subs are the platform.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I dunno, do Jupiterians overcharge for servicing to even producing new (or leasing old) hardware?

Also, I know it's hard to comprehend but I wasn't exactly talking about just subs there. We can always just lease these subs and go buy other hardware from other countries. Good luck selling expensive shit to Pakistan and China afterwards. :rolleyes:
First other nations ought to be willing to sell us, not put us under sanctions, not charge exorbitant rates and help us when we need them. Getting my drift ?

---

Maybe we only need to lease one submarine??
From what I know Gorshkove and 2 such subs were part of the deal for repayment of Soviet debt.

---

Do we even need one? I mean it's not like anyone is retarded enough to attack India at all using nukes, forget nuclear submarine (forget eavesdropping as well). Might as well spend money on fighters and missiles which can take care of subs from air.
I hope I don't offend you, but my suggestions to you would be to read more before you type.

----

Until our AGNI'S are in full swing we need another platform to guarantee a second strike capability and nuke subs are the platform.
Answer

This leased Russian nuke attack sub like the previous one will be used in gaining knowhow to implement in the ATV programme.
Attack subs don't carry Ballistic missiles but are used to attack other subs.
This is a nuclear attack subs, it can't fire BMs and will not carry any nuclear weapons.

Country flag
yes SIngh the ATV will be for the BM, but like you pointed out we need the Akula for training, maybe we don't need two to train? one will be enough, since we have been training with them in Russia too for a long time on these subs. I still think article should not have even came out.

luckyy

why we are not hearing anything on this issue from indian side.
neither IN nor MoD has given any statement on this so far..

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
why we are not hearing anything on this issue from indian side.
neither IN nor MoD has given any statement on this so far..
Because they don't have to.
This is between GoI and GoR.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles