INS Arihant, India's N-powered submarine, to be operational soon

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There is no issue if its pics are published in Public..

She would be a little longer than a Kilo Sub, with a hump over its back..

Just my view..

Bheeshma

What is released it would be a good deal longer 72 m vs 112 m.

sorcerer

Country flag
India’s First Nuclear Submarine INS Arihant Ready for Operations, Passes Deep Sea Tests

NEW DELHI: India's first nuclear armed submarine is now ready for full fledged operations, having passed several deep sea diving drills as well as weapons launch tests over the past five months and a formal induction into the naval fleet is only a political call away.

Multiple officials closely associated with the project to operationalize the INS Arihant nuclear missile submarine have confirmed to ET that the indigenously-built boat is now fully-operational and over the past few months, several weapon tests have taken place in secrecy that have proven the capabilities of the vessel.

The Arihant, which is the first of five nuclear missile submarines or SSBNs planned for induction, has also undergone deep sea dives off Vishakhapatnam where it was build. A Russian diving support ship —the RFS Epron that arrived on October 1 — has been accompanying the Arihant on its deep sea dives and launch tests, officials told ET.

The Epron — a Prut class submarine rescue vessel — was also the Russian representation for the recently concluded International Fleet Review (IFR) in Vishakhapatnam. India does not currently possess a submarine rescue vessel of this class - a vital requirement during weapon firing tests where all possibilities need to be catered for.

The Arihant incidentally did nottake part in the IFR even though it was ready due to security concerns. The presence of 24 foreign warships, equipped with sensors and equipment that could pick up vital electronic intelligence being the main deterrent.

The Navy has managed to keep under wraps several weapon launch tests from the Arihant over the past five months. The submarine is to be equipped with K 15 (or BO-5) shortrange missiles with a range of over 700 km and the K 4 ballistic missile with a range of 3,500 km. "It has passed all tests and in many things has surpassed our expectations.

Technically the submarine can now be commissioned at any time," a senior official said. Sources told ETthat the commissioning date could be as early as next month if the Modi government desires. A communication facility to interact with the submarine has already been commissioned into the Navy.

At present, work is already in progress on two more Arihant class submarines at the Ship Building Center (SBC) in Vishakhapatnam which will be larger and more advanced than the first boat. :india:The navy is also accelerating work on INS Varsha - a new strategic naval base with underground pens on the Eastern Coast near Kakinada - where the nuclear assets would be based.

The Navy's Submarine Design Bureau is also presently working on a new class of nuclear powered attack submarines (SSNs) that it hopes to induct within the next 15 years. The plan is to build at least six SSNs in India, with financial sanction given last year for the project that could cost upwards of Rs 90,000 crore. At present, the only nuclear powered platform in service is the INS Chakra, a Akula class SSN on lease from Russia.
Source>>

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag

Chinmoy

Country flag
Lots of foreign media are reporting she is still being repaired after the hatch gaffe. Worse still, it's being pushed into people's newsfeeds like they did to me.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...dollar-submarine-forgetting-close-hatch-55942
A submarine where even the air one breath is monitored by sensors would dive with a open hatch. On top of that where is the hatch kept open? Engine room which goes multiple physical check for any malfunction.

The whole idea is fantastic at its best.

If they would be cited any accident like that of Chakra, it would have been plausible enough then this joke. On top of that, Arihant has just completed its first deterrent patrol few months back.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
A submarine where even the air one breath is monitored by sensors would dive with a open hatch. On top of that where is the hatch kept open? Engine room which goes multiple physical check for any malfunction.

If they would be cited any accident like that of Chakra, it would have been plausible enough then this joke. On top of that, Arihant has just completed its first deterrent patrol few months back.
That's what I thought. Arihant being nuclear would have sensors crawling all over. No way this shit can happen. At that time I thought this was a ruse while the Sub was beings sent for secret capability enhancement.

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag

porky_kicker

Country flag

It's a joke actually

Hatches in submarine hull are interlocking . One cannot close the inner one if the outer one is open or not properly shut.

Also all hatch's leading to hull and critical stations have redundent sensors which feeds into the CIC room. The first few steps before a dive is both manual and automatic to cross check possible open or improperly shut hatches , water tight compartments , ballast pumps / valves etc , any error will never allow dive to occur , not even manual override. It's a built in safety feature.

Unless the whole crew is deaf or the commander and XO somehow managed to juryrig the submarine controls.

Chinmoy

Country flag
That's what I thought. Arihant being nuclear would have sensors crawling all over. No way this shit can happen. At that time I thought this was a ruse while the Sub was beings sent for secret capability enhancement.
Leave alone nuclear, even conventional subs have all these sensors at place.

This whole report was nothing more then media prank. I seriously doubt the intelligence of Dinakar Perry.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
I say good, let them keep believing what they want to believe, meanwhile Arihant will keep fishing...

Kchontha

Country flag
I think Ari is lurking somewhere in the Arabian sea.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

lcafanboy

Country flag
I think Ari is lurking somewhere in the Arabian sea.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
It was part of the flottila that was meant to take out karachi, porki navy, Porki air force,etc. Had wing co Abhinandan not been captured Porkies would have known by now ins Arihant kicked their ass. PM Modi did hint it, that it was quamat ki raat for porkistan. Porkies realised what was coming their way, they released Abhinandan unharmed against promise that we won't kick their ass. They knew ins Arihant was ready to pounce on them...

Snowcat

Country flag
It was part of the flottila that was meant to take out karachi, porki navy, Porki air force,etc. Had wing co Abhinandan not been captured Porkies would have known by now ins Arihant kicked their ass. PM Modi did hint it, that it was quamat ki raat for porkistan. Porkies realised what was coming their way, they released Abhinandan unharmed against promise that we won't kick their ass. They knew ins Arihant was ready to pounce on them...
Since when does Arihant comes into picture. India wasn't looking for a nuclear war. It's just a strategic deterrence sub

IndianHawk

Country flag
Since when does Arihant comes into picture. India wasn't looking for a nuclear war. It's just a strategic deterrence sub
Exactly. Arihant reminds porkis that when India strikes Karachi with conventional missiles they can't get away with usual shouting of atomi quwat. Second strike capabilities of Arihant takes away any first strike option from Pakistan.

So basically making them nuke nude lol.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

garg_bharat

Country flag
Exactly. Arihant reminds porkis that when India strikes Karachi with conventional missiles they can't get away with usual shouting of atomi quwat. Second strike capabilities of Arihant takes away any first strike option from Pakistan.

India had reliable second strike and third strike and fourth strike capability before Arihant.

Arihant is a more survivable capability for the worst situation.

no smoking

Country flag

When people talk about nuclear threat, as least you should understand what your enemy's nuclear doctrine. Pakistan's nuclear doctrine is deterrence not war fighting. Their nuclear force is targeting India's big cities and conventional force, but not India nuclear force. For them, K14 or K4 is no different to Agni as they don't have resource and capability to look for & strike them.
So, there is nothing changed in India-Pakistan nuclear balance.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles