India Russia Relations

Prashant12

Country flag
Mega defence deals inked at Modi-Putin summit, PM calls Russia 'old friend'

BENAULIM (Goa): India on Saturday inked three mega defence deals with Russia that included purchase of a most advanced air defence missile system as part of 16 pacts even as the two traditional allies strongly pitched for "zero tolerance" in dealing with terrorists and their supporters.

The bilateral pacts were signed here after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin held "fruitful and substantive" wide-ranging talks encompassing entire gamut of bilateral ties. The two sides also made three announcements to boost ties in sectors like trade and investment, hydrocarbons, space and smart cities.

Modi prefaced his remarks at a joint press event with Putin invoking a Russian proverb to drive home the point that "an old friend is better than two new friends," in a reflection of India's apparent unhappiness over Russia's recent joint military exercise with Pakistan.

Besides the purchase of 'gamechanger' S-400 Triumf long- range air defence systems from Russia at a cost of over USD 5 billion, the other two deals related to procuring four Admiral Grigorovich-class (Project 11356) guided-missile stealth frigates and setting up of a joint production facility for making Kamov helicopters.

The inking of these deals assumes significance since in in the recent past it was perceived that India, which had signed Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) with the US providing access to Americans to Indian military bases, was drifting away from its traditional defence ally, Russia.

Modi appreciated Russia's understanding and support of India's actions to fight cross-border terrorism, an oblique reference to India's surgical strike across the Line of Control(LoC) last month targeting terror launch pads in PoK.

"Russia's clear stand on the need to combat terrorism mirrors our own. We deeply appreciate Russia's understanding and support of our actions to fight cross-border terrorism, that threatens our entire region.

"We both affirmed the need for zero tolerance in dealing with terrorists and their supporters," Modi said.

The two leaders also discussed Uri attack by Pak-based terrorists during their "restricted talks" segment after which the Indian Side expressed its appreciation for Russia's unequivocal condemnation of the attack on army base in which 19 soldiers were killed.

Putin, on his part, said both countries have close cooperation in fighting terrorism.

India, which has conveyed its opposition to Russia undertaking joint military exercises with Pakistan, a country which "sponsors and practices terrorism as a matter of State policy", also said it was "satisfied" about Russia understanding of its interests.

"We are satisfied that Russia understand India's interest and they will never do anything contrary to India's interest and I think there was a strong meeting of minds on this subject," Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar said when asked about the Russian response to India's concern over the recent Pak-Russia joint military exercise.
Modi said the "highly productive" outcomes of the meeting clearly establish the special and privileged nature of strategic partnership between the two countries.

"They also lay the foundations for deeper defence and economic ties in years ahead. The agreements on manufacturing of Kamov 226T helicopters; constructions of frigates; and acquisition and building of other defence platforms are in synergy with India's technology and security priorities."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ls-Russia-old-friend/articleshow/54869399.cms

alphacentury

Country flag
I dont get how we are tilting to either side. We are and we should follow independent foreign policy. Though I agree there is nothing independent, you always have to take a side. But still, we have normal relations with many countries that are rival to each other, for eg Israel:Iran:Saudi, Jpn: Rus, US: RUS etc. Now, our foreign policy shouldn't be aimed at pleasing every rival countries, but to follow our own best interest without hurting others overtly. But, if i am reading it wrong and we are actually falling for US, then its a bad thing. TBH, if our relations are going bad then its out of Russia's necessity or desperation,nothing from our side. Only a factor of time. India is getting bigger wrt to Russia to have control over, and they are trying to contain it by intimidation or any means , like the US does with some countries:tongue:. Though we should try to minimize the damage, but nothing over the top to please them.

Coming to BJP/Cong I fail to see how BJP is pro US in any respect as @Razor pointed out. BJP doesnt have any significance over USA, while many in US power circle were opposed to Modi coming to power. Apart from Paris accord , I dont see anything gesturing in that direction. Rather I see the opposite. RUS had some leverage or control over Congress. Now nobody will be happy if you lose leverage over a govt or country. And now they will be held answerable for bad deals which they were not during previous regime. Thats a good thing,but not for Russia. But, I believe India will continue to have big defence deals with Russia , given they dont turn deficient like in the past. Also, we dont have much option. Again, here too onus is on Russia.

Still, if we look at current deals with Russia, including today's news, I see some good deals. But many also look shoddy, like we are bankrolling Russia.

ps- This whole post may seem incoherent. :bplease:

mayfair

Why nothing on FGFA and the lease for the second Akula?

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I dont get how we are tilting to either side. We are and we should follow independent foreign policy. Though I agree there is nothing independent, you always have to take a side. But still, we have normal relations with many countries that are rival to each other, for eg Israel:Iran:Saudi, Jpn: Rus, US: RUS etc. Now, our foreign policy shouldn't be aimed at pleasing every rival countries, but to follow our own best interest without hurting others overtly. But, if i am reading it wrong and we are actually falling for US, then its a bad thing. TBH, if our relations are going bad then its out of Russia's necessity or desperation,nothing from our side. Only a factor of time. India is getting bigger wrt to Russia to have control over, and they are trying to contain it by intimidation or any means , like the US does with some countries:tongue:. Though we should try to minimize the damage, but nothing over the top to please them.

Coming to BJP/Cong I fail to see how BJP is pro US in any respect as @Razor pointed out. BJP doesnt have any significance over USA, while many in US power circle were opposed to Modi coming to power. Apart from Paris accord , I dont see anything gesturing in that direction. Rather I see the opposite. RUS had some leverage or control over Congress. Now nobody will be happy if you lose leverage over a govt or country. And now they will be held answerable for bad deals which they were not during previous regime. Thats a good thing,but not for Russia. But, I believe India will continue to have big defence deals with Russia , given they dont turn deficient like in the past. Also, we dont have much option. Again, here too onus is on Russia.

Still, if we look at current deals with Russia, including today's news, I see some good deals. But many also look shoddy, like we are bankrolling Russia.

ps- This whole post may seem incoherent. :bplease:
Yeah, maybe I'm wrong. Well lets hope I'm wrong, coz there is only one end result afa US "friendship" goes.

mayfair

Yeah, maybe I'm wrong. Well lets hope I'm wrong, coz there is only one end result afa US "friendship" goes.
Depends on the type of "friendship"
1. There's Japan, Germany, Australia, or even UK type friendship- outcome mostly benign, if subservient to US interests. Assured security, economic prosperity and fewer defense-related migraines.
2. Baki type (to a lesser extent Philippines as well)- Outcome similar to that of used condom.
3. Chinese type- Where US became the used condom.

I know which one would I prefer.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
India and Russia sign energy, defense deals worth billions

5/5
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi (R) and Russian President Vladimir Putin attend an exchange of agreements event after the India-Russia Ann...
REUTERS/DANISH SIDDIQUI+

1/5
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi (R) speaks with Russian President Vladimir Putin during exchange of agreements event after India-Russia Ann...
REUTERS/DANISH SIDDIQUI+

2/5
Russian President Vladimir Putin (L) shakes hands with India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi during exchange of agreements event after India-Russ...
REUTERS/DANISH SIDDIQUI+

3/5
Russian President Vladimir Putin (L) and India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi attend an exchange of agreements event after the India-Russia Ann...
REUTERS/DANISH SIDDIQUI+

4/5
Russian President Vladimir Putin is seen on a television screen as he speaks during a joint news statement after India-Russia Annual Summit in...
REUTERS/DANISH SIDDIQUI+

5/5
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi (R) and Russian President Vladimir Putin attend an exchange of agreements event after the India-Russia Ann...
REUTERS/DANISH SIDDIQUI+

India and Russia signed billions of dollars of defense and energy deals on Saturday at a summit that sought to inject new life into a relationship that has been tested by shifting global alliances and conflict in the Middle East.
Under the biggest agreement, a group led by Russian state oil major Rosneft (ROSN.MM) said it would pay $12.9 billion for a controlling stake in both India's Essar Oil and port facilities that it owns.
The countries, which had strong ties during the Cold War, announced plans for a joint venture to build helicopters in India. New Delhi said it would also buy surface-to-air missile systems and stealth frigates from Moscow.
"Ours is a truly unique and privileged relationship," Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said after talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin in the western seaside state of Goa.
Modi said that his views were aligned with Putin's on the unstable situation in Afghanistan and the Middle East, where Moscow is at odds with the West in the five-year-old civil war in Syria that has killed hundreds of thousands.
"We are conducting a comprehensive dialog on a wide scale of international issues, in which Indian and Russian approaches are close to each other or coincide," said Putin.
Modi also praised Putin's support for the fight against international terrorism, which India accuses its neighbor and rival Pakistan of sponsoring. "Russia's clear stand on the need to combat terrorism mirrors our own," Modi said.
MULTIPLE DEALS
The Rosneft-Essar deal will be the biggest foreign takeover in India, and Russia's largest outbound deal, according to Thomson Reuters data.
It comes as Russia moves to reassert its role in global affairs and at a time when its own economy is stagnant, hit by Western sanctions and low oil prices.
Under the deal, a group led by Rosneft will acquire 98 percent of Essar Oil, and with it a 400,000 barrels-per-day refinery and port at Vadinar for $12.9 billion, the two sides said.
Russian state bank VTB (VTBR.MM) said it would refinance $3.9 billion owed by the Essar Group. Rosneft would pay $3.5 billion and its partners, oil trader Trafigura and investment fund UCP the same amount for an equal joint stake.
The refinery deal follows a string of upstream investments in Russia by Indian companies in recent months that, Modi said, were worth $5.5 billion.
Also on display was Russia's nuclear prowess, with the second reactor of the Russian-built Kudankulam plant in Tamil Nadu hooked up to the grid and concrete being poured in a ceremony carried by a TV linkup to mark the start of work on the third and fourth reactors there.
Putin said that Russia would be able to build a dozen nuclear reactors in India over the next 20 years to back Modi's growth strategy for Asia's third-largest economy, which continues to suffer chronic power shortages.
RELATED COVERAGE
HELICOPTERS, MISSILES, SHIPS
The defense pacts will also deepen military ties between the two countries that dates back to the Soviet era, when India entirely depended on Moscow to equip its armed forces. The United States has since taken over as India's top arms supplier.
Indian military officials have said the plan is for the joint venture to build at least 200 Kamov 226t helicopters required by the country's defense forces. Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd will be the local partner of Russian Helicopters and state arms exporter Rosoboronexport.
The S-400 surface-to-air missiles would strengthen India's defenses along its borders with China and Pakistan, Indian military officials have said. Also agreed were plans to build and supply stealth frigates for the Indian navy.
Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, who is in charge of space and military industries, said two frigates could be built in India and two in Russia, RIA news agency reported. Rogozin said the ships may later be equipped with missiles manufactured by BrahMos Aerospace, a venture co-owned by the Indian and Russian governments.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Depends on the type of "friendship"
1. There's Japan, Germany, Australia, or even UK type friendship- outcome mostly benign, if subservient to US interests. Assured security, economic prosperity and fewer defense-related migraines.
2. Baki type (to a lesser extent Philippines as well)- Outcome similar to that of used condom.
3. Chinese type- Where US became the used condom.

I know which one would I prefer.
1. toothless puppets with aging decadent society.
2. failed/potential failed states.
3. NOT friend.

Yeah me too. 3 is my lucky number.

IndianHawk

Country flag
1. toothless puppets with aging decadent society.
2. failed/potential failed states.
3. NOT friend.

Yeah me too. 3 is my lucky number.
These toothless puppets chose to be toothless themselves. USA didn't forced them (infact it's begging Britain to keep nuclear program and NATO to increase defense budget .)
There decaying population again their own fault (it also applies to Russia to certain extent)
USA welcomed immigration and stayed young and productive.

And these puppets are way more rich then Indian or Russians. At the end of the day you want strength so that you can be secure so that you can focus on economic growth and prosperity.

Just some food for thought :daru:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
These toothless puppets chose to be toothless themselves. USA didn't forced them (infact it's begging Britain to keep nuclear program and NATO to increase defense budget .)
There decaying population again their own fault (it also applies to Russia to certain extent)
USA welcomed immigration and stayed young and productive.
Not exactly. A lot of things come to play. One is democracy. It allows people with most power/money (note: not righteousness) to come to power, and they are usually Uncle's boys.
If you wanna know what happens if you disobey Uncle Sam look at the History of Latin America. Or better still take Saddam (who was a US puppet.)

And these puppets are way more rich then Indian or Russians. At the end of the day you want strength so that you can be secure so that you can focus on economic growth and prosperity.

Just some food for thought :daru:
Economic prosperity and so on traded for destruction of their societal value, beyond repair. If they want those values back, they'll (like europe) will have to start from scratch.

:D

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
Amm
Not exactly. A lot of things come to play. One is democracy. It allows people with most power/money (note: not righteousness) to come to power, and they are usually Uncle's boys.
If you wanna know what happens if you disobey Uncle Sam look at the History of Latin America. Or better still take Saddam (who was a US puppet.)

Economic prosperity and so on traded for destruction of their societal value, beyond repair. If they want those values back, they'll (like europe) will have to start from scratch.

:D
Americans have imposed their will. But see the pattern. They always go on rampage with"allied forces".

They could have destroyed Iraq alone but they still dragged"allies" with them.

That is the American way , they never go at it alone. That also gives leverage too allies.

We need to learn the lesson here.

Regarding societal values I won't comment I am a techno- strategy guy society is not my cup of tea:hail:

India USA alliance is anyways going to be a rough ride . They are used to deal with declining powers and we are the rising sun:india:

There was a well crafted lecture on it about "realistic India USA relationship" by some foundation search that on YouTube it's a great watch

AnantS

Country flag
That doesnt make logical sense.
Does Russia want to equip china with technology so that china can market it cheaper than Russia in the international market for NoKo and pakistan (2 begger state) of all the nations in the world.
How can Russia compensate the huge loss with NoKo and pakistan WITH china supporting them ? Dont you think china will sell them cheap chinese copies.

china is no fool to equip pakistan with costly equipments and SUPPORT for the spares because of regional consequences and the ability of pakistan to switch sides with terrorism as a leverage.

Also..Russian equipments evolve so is Indian needs ..meaning India would require best equipments from Russia in the future too. and mostly I think there will be more joint collaborative projects between Russia and India making it a very interesting dependence other than just buyer seller relation.
GoI and Russia are taking the relation to a collaborative level.

Russia is linking with pakistan on certain key counter measures which is based on anti terrorism initiatives.. Russia has somewhat good percentage of muslims and they would want to tame pakistan at the earliest.

pakistans immature idiots in establishment thinks that they have some sort of VACCUM when US moved closer to India.
pak is simply boosting that aspect and working their dreams around it away from the reality of India Russia relationship.
Slow down mate....

Russia has been sharing many critical technologies with China even during hey days of Soviet Union much before India. Barring brief lull during late 70's to Mid 80's. Co-operation has been steady. Be it Nuclear weapons, Aeropace etc. You have to extremely gullible to believe China simply reverse engineered S-300, or built Z-10, L-15, J-10 etc without any Russian assistance/knowhow.

Now coming back to Russia and India - context. Throwing deals at Russia, is short term solution. As long as Russia is in loggerheads with USA or vice versa. Russia will tilt towards China axis. That means relations with India are going not to be comfortable going forward. Let the warmth of deals die for few months and we will see next steps. Whenever Russia changed its tilt, India did face trouble. case in point, days of Boris Yeltsin are not forgotten by India. Now its not going to happen whole of sudden but depending who wins next elections in US, we will see the next direction.

About NK, China Paki thing. in my earlier posts itself, I mentioned China will not be able to support defense budgets of all three countries. So Russia will have groom new partners. Increasing Arab-US friction, declining Arab economy could give Russia new market for their affordable goods. Russia India trade will continue to happen, but I see things slowing down. (Already PAC has raised eye brows on Kamov deal)

Russia has been fighting with Muslim separatists for many centuries. It does not need to see Paki Army mujra drills to understand a Chechyan or Ughyr terrorist tactics.

Now coming to Paki delusions. Please I dont have time and inclinations to discuss their wet dreams. Having seen these braindead Paki clowns for past decades what they spew on internet fora, it is best to ignore their rants.

Many of the Pakis coming these days to DFI are ISI bots. You should get an idea of general education quality in Pakistan and what kind of recruits ISI gets from their posts, which is pathetic to say the least

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag
Let's go back a little bit.

China has been a "friend" of Pakistan for a while now.
Recently friendly Uncle Sam discovered that suddenly pakistan likes china more than USA.
USA is upset and thinking.
Meanwhile russia is rising.

**idea**
Trouble in Ukraine, thanks to $5B invested by Amerika in Ukraine for regime change operation, excuse me, upholding democraxy.

Whole of europe (aka puppets) pretend to be upset at russia and coz problems for russian economy. Russia starts to tilt East to China.

If you notice the talks of Putin say 10-15 years back you may note that integrating russia into europe is on putin's agenda. But the US can not allow this because such a monstrosity (a europe from Lisbon to Vladivostok) would be very difficult for USA to manage. Infact in those days he talked of countering China, Jap etc in Russian Far East.

Also it is disingenuous comment that "Russia's complete embrace of China,....... was the primary reason India tilted towards US"
It is no secret that BJP has a pro-US stance. India's tilt to the US came first, though mostly just feelers. But hey no one can complaint, india and russia aren't married or anything. Then the UKR move and Russia's tilt to China and pakistan, which lead India to fully tilt to USA.

Negativity on India issues in Russian media naturally follows. This was of course not there before, in fact russian media showed pakistan in negative light earlier, if it ever did.

If things unfold in the same direction then yeah russia and india will be on the opposite sides, though they will still exchange pleasantries and stuff.

Why is the US befriending India? Your opinion?
To contain PRC, how? Over the himalayas?
To contain PRC they have a whole array of options in the Chinese East.
So why india? To contain China through the Western outlet of China ie Pakistan and of course the defence deals are not going to hurt.
I will give you another food for thought. Think from G-2 angle. What is that? And to make that reality which countries need to be brought down and what alliances need to be weakened?

sorcerer

Country flag
Slow down mate....

Russia has been sharing many critical technologies with China even during hey days of Soviet Union much before India. Barring brief lull during late 70's to Mid 80's. Co-operation has been steady. Be it Nuclear weapons, Aeropace etc. You have to extremely gullible to believe China simply reverse engineered S-300, or built Z-10, L-15, J-10 etc without any Russian assistance/knowhow.

Now coming back to Russia and India - context. Throwing deals at Russia, is short term solution. As long as Russia is in loggerheads with USA or vice versa. Russia will tilt towards China axis. That means relations with India are going not to be comfortable going forward. Let the warmth of deals die for few months and we will see next steps. Whenever Russia changed its tilt, India did face trouble. case in point, days of Boris Yeltsin are not forgotten by India. Now its not going to happen whole of sudden but depending who wins next elections in US, we will see the next direction.

About NK, China Paki thing. in my earlier posts itself, I mentioned China will not be able to support defense budgets of all three countries. So Russia will have groom new partners. Increasing Arab-US friction, declining Arab economy could give Russia new market for their affordable goods. Russia India trade will continue to happen, but I see things slowing down. (Already PAC has raised eye brows on Kamov deal)

Russia has been fighting with Muslim separatists for many centuries. It does not need to see Paki Army mujra drills to understand a Chechyan or Ughyr terrorist tactics.

Now coming to Paki delusions. Please I dont have time and inclinations to discuss their wet dreams. Having seen these braindead Paki clowns for past decades what they spew on internet fora, it is best to ignore their rants.

Many of the Pakis coming these days to DFI are ISI bots. You should get an idea of general education quality in Pakistan and what kind of recruits ISI gets from their posts, which is pathetic to say the least
I was not talking about the pakis and the wet dreams..I was talking about your stance on Russians position in the first post ..Now its clear.

India is opening the market for Russia in a whole different tactical way. So I see more India-Russia partnership in defense market. That include making in India and pitching the Russian weapons across the East...This narrative matches the Russia's Look EAST policy.
Wait..you will see that in the days to come.

Kamov is already cleared.. Russia has its interest and it will take a punch or 2 but most of the time it tries to hold the Russian narratives very clear in any deals and bilaterals.

As you said..the Russian partnership with pak is COIN operations and to know the enemy pak well.

Thanks.

We all agree on pakistanis and their madrassa eduction :D..ITs hilarious!

Prashant12

Country flag
India, Russia ink pacts that will lead to defence deals worth Rs 72,000 crore

NEW DELHI: Correcting the pronounced tilt towards the US in defence deals over the last decade, India on Saturday inked pacts with Russia to acquire advanced air defence missile systems, stealth frigates as well as jointly produce light-utility helicopters. The three projects are collectively worth an estimated $10.5 billion (over Rs 72,000 crore).

The two pacts or inter-governmental agreements (IGAs) for five new-generation Russian S-400 Triumf missile systems+ and four upgraded Teg or Grigorivich-class frigates, apart from the joint venture to produce 200 Kamov-226T light utility helicopters+ , are not actual contracts as yet. That will take some time, with the nitty-gritties and final costs to be sealed through further negotiations in the days ahead.

But Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin, in whose presence the pacts were inked in Goa, were all gung-ho about the reinforcement of the bilateral strategic partnership+ "to lay deeper defence ties" in the years ahead. "Agreements on manufacturing Kamov-226T helicopters; constructions of frigates; and acquisition and building of other defence platforms are in synergy with India's technology and security priorities," said Modi.

In terms of sheer strategic value, India's acquisition of the five S-400 systems for over $5.5 billion is clearly going to be game-changer. TOI was the first to report in October 2015 about India's decision to go in for the S-400 systems, which basically have three kinds of missiles that can fly at supersonic and hypersonic speeds to intercept all kinds of targets at ranges from 120 to 400-km.

Defence sources said the S-400 systems, with three meant for the western front with Pakistan and the other two for the eastern one with China, can shoot down Chinese or Pakistani fighters while they are flying in their own airspaces.

India will be the second customer for the S-400 (called SA-21 Growler by NATO), with China slated to get the anti-aircraft\anti-missile systems under a $3 billion deal with Russia in 2014. A defence source said, "Most of the negotiations for our S-400 systems are over ... the contract should be inked among the first to be inked."

The $4 billion pact for the four 4,000-tonne guided-missile stealth frigates also has some strategic content to it though it is not acknowledged in public. India's quest to lease a second nuclear-powered submarine (the first INS Chakra came in 2012) for around $1.5 billion from Russia has been linked by Moscow to New Delhi's agreement to acquire the frigates lying half-constructed at the Yantar Shipyard due to a cash-crunch.

India will also have to acquire Zorya gas-turbine engines for the frigates from Ukraine, which is bitterly opposed to Russia as of now. "While two of the frigates will come from Russia, with a faster delivery time, the other two will be built here. It will take time for the contract with the selected Indian shipyard to be finalized," said a source.

As for the Kamov-226T choppers, the IGA for it was inked during Modi's visit to Moscow in December last year. It's only now the joint venture for the project, with the memorandum of association, share-holders agreement and the like, has been inked between defence PSU Hindustan Aeronautics (with majority 50.5% stake) and Russian Rostec State Corporation.
But the different pacts do show that Russia is reasserting its numero uno status+ in the Indian defence market. It was after the 1999 Kargil conflict that India began to increasingly turn to countries like US, Israel, France and UK so as to not put all its eggs in the Russian basket. As the strategic clinch with the US got tighter, Washington alone bagged Indian defence deals worth $15 billion since 2007.

Though India still remains slightly unhappy with Russia for not sticking to delivery schedules, jacking up costs mid-way, putting hurdles in technology transfer and unreliable spares support, New Delhi knows only Moscow will help it with "strategic projects" like nuclear-powered submarines or the S-400 systems.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...worth-Rs-72000-crore/articleshow/54871603.cms

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I will give you another food for thought. Think from G-2 angle. What is that? And to make that reality which countries need to be brought down and what alliances need to be weakened?
This is a "food for thought" that I cooked and ate about a year or so back.

I made a few posts about the G-2 angle in the Civil War Ukarine thread (that thread's too big, can't search for it there now)
Nothing new, and it is still in the back of my head.

Bahamut

We want Shoigu's head. He should be shipped off to some other ministry. Friendship 2017 was one of the biggest mistakes Putin has made in a long time. The last time he made such a big mistake was in Libya, accepting a NATO no-fly zone. We all know how catastrophic it turned out to be for Libya and the anti NATO countries. Russian influence in ME dropped to rock bottom. So Syria was a last ditch effort. Thankfully Syria was a success, bigger than expected.
Anyway, the point is - Russia and India are beyond friends. I do not know if any two other countries were so friendly and accepting of with each other than Brits-US. The world needs such friends, such brotherhoods. Russians/Kievan Rus have roots going back thousands of years. Bharat has roots stretching back five thousand years. Such old civilisations should only come closer and not drift apart.
Hope VV sees his mistake and mends his way. Otherwise it would be a big victory for The Great Satan USA if we drift apart.
With the protest of India ,I think Russia know the the limit of Russia Pak ties so such joint drill with Pak are unlikely for now.

gadeshi

With the protest of India ,I think Russia know the the limit of Russia Pak ties so such joint drill with Pak are unlikely for now.
OMG [emoji23] what close ties?
Russians seek COIN bases and cooperation to ciese narco and terroristic traffic from Afganistan. That's all.

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk

AnantS

Country flag
This is a "food for thought" that I cooked and ate about a year or so back.

I made a few posts about the G-2 angle in the Civil War Ukarine thread (that thread's too big, can't search for it there now)
Nothing new, and it is still in the back of my head.
Well you need regurgitate that and use it in the current scenario. You are right Ukraine, Syria on one end. South China, LAC-Tibet, Indian Ocean, CPEC on other end.

AnantS

Country flag
Ok continuing my post on Russian realignment. Another incident at BRICS, which indicate in Russo-China relationship, its China which is wearing pants. I did not know what I predicted will happen so soon

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Chi...looked-the-other-way/articleshow/54903013.cms

China blocked India's attempts to include the names of terror groups like JeM and LeT in the BRICS' Goa Declaration but what has hurt the government more, as sources said, is Russia's disinclination to argue India's case. The result, of course, was a declaration which failed to address India's core concern of the issue of state-sponsored terrorism.
Second my thoughts have been better explained more lucid srticle By Sushant Sareen

http://www.newindianexpress.com/opi...ions-no-druzhba-without-dough-1528279--2.html

Even so, it cannot be denied that over the last few years, serious efforts have been made by the Pakistanis to draw closer to Russia, which has reciprocated Pakistan’s overtures. The Russian decision to sell four choppers to Pakistan and their bidding for a few pipeline and other projects in Pakistan signal a thaw in the relations between the two countries, which were adversaries during the Cold War
The Pakistani outreach to Belarus, which has escaped media attention in India, is also part of the Russian-Pakistan realignment. Belarus is a conduit to Russia; a lot of what the Russians can’t do directly or don’t want to do directly can be routed through it.

The Russians make no bones about the fact that there are new alignments taking place. But just as India can no longer expect Russia to not engage with other countries for India’s sake, Russia too will have to learn to live with India’s new engagements with other countries, some of which—the US, for example—are Russia’s bete noire.
If Russia’s growing closeness with China is a cause of concern to India, then India’s deepening engagement, especially in the defence sector, with the US is causing heartburn in Russia.
What this means is that the transactional element will play a much bigger role in Indo-Russian relations than it did in the past. With India diversifying its arms purchases, it is natural for Russia to look for new markets. While China is one such, Pakistan simply cannot match up to India as a market for Russian weapon systems, even less so because the latter now needs hard cash and Pakistan isn’t in a habit of paying for what it buys. This will always give India a leg-up over Pakistan in relations with Russia.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles